Schools with good programs for environmental science?

stevn7

I'm looking for schools with good environmental-related programs for graduate study, preferably something that involves research. I'm not 100% sure what I am specializing in yet, but I am inclined towards hydrology or something water-related. The only schools I've seen (online, I haven't actually visited any) so far that seem to put a good deal of attention towards their environmental departments are University of Colorado and University of Delaware (their water science program in particular has me interested). 

I'd appreciate any advice about schools and/or specific programs that I should look at.

Caltech has a strong ESE (environmental science & engineering) program: http://www.ese.caltech.edu/

Sometimes you can learn a lot about a department's focus by reading the titles of the seminars in the past few years (seminar speakers are invited by the department, who generally invites people based on their own interest). Here is the 2013-2014 seminar list: http://www.ese.caltech.edu/seminars/by_year?year=2013-2014 (links on the right hand side to navigate through other years).

At Caltech, the ESE program is now part of the Geological & Planetary Science division, which means it is easy for a Caltech ESE student to take courses or work with people in the earth science programs as well. 

You should check out Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory (columbia) in your own city!

Thanks for the suggestion.. I'd actually looked at Columbia earlier but didn't find that on their website (some of these sites can be tricky to navigate). The M.S. in Earth and Environmental Engineering (the water one) interests me, although I'm worried about my GRE scores being slightly below what Columbia usually accepts.

Caltech has a strong ESE (environmental science & engineering) program: http://www.ese.caltech.edu/

Sometimes you can learn a lot about a department's focus by reading the titles of the seminars in the past few years (seminar speakers are invited by the department, who generally invites people based on their own interest). Here is the 2013-2014 seminar list: http://www.ese.caltech.edu/seminars/by_year?year=2013-2014 (links on the right hand side to navigate through other years).

At Caltech, the ESE program is now part of the Geological & Planetary Science division, which means it is easy for a Caltech ESE student to take courses or work with people in the earth science programs as well. 

Thanks for the suggestion, although Caltech is really expensive. Even if I get a RA or TA stipend idk if it'd pay enough.. Your suggestion about seminars is good, I'm gonna keep that in mind from now on.

Thanks for the suggestion, although Caltech is really expensive. Even if I get a RA or TA stipend idk if it'd pay enough.. Your suggestion about seminars is good, I'm gonna keep that in mind from now on.

What do you mean Caltech is really expensive?? If you mean the city it's located in (Pasadena, CA), then yes, you are right but Caltech stipends are set with the high cost of living in mind. If you are talking about tuition then yes, it's expensive, but all PhD students are admitted with full funding and tuition waivers. You can find the stipend rate if you look around the internet--the standard Caltech ESE package is full tuition waiver plus about $30,000 per year and the TA requirement is very minimal (1 quarter per year in years 2, 3, and 4). 

Yale has an ES masters in their forestry department. So does University of Washington. In fact, pretty much every forestry or fisheries school out there that I found in 5 minutes of googling has a degree like this. I'm assuming you are aiming for an MS since you seem concerned about cost. PhD programs in something nebulous like "environmental science" seem less likely to be common to me, I'd guess if you were to go for a PhD you'd be aiming for hydrology, which could be in geology/earth sciences departments as well. There were a bunch of threads on these programs last year, maybe two years ago, so try using the search function to check these out.