For the seasoned interviewees: I have questions, (maybe) you have answers.

gliaful

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm worried about clothing. I've got two pairs of shoes: day shoes and gym shoes. My wardrobe is a collection of shirts and sweaters that have accumulated over the past five years. I've got a suit, but I can't take myself seriously when I wear it. I want my clothing to be a non-issue. Comfortable, modest and inconspicuous. Gosh I'm so picky :P

Edited by yolk

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm worried about clothing. I've got two pairs of shoes: day shoes and gym shoes. My wardrobe is a collection of shirts and sweaters that have accumulated over the past five years. I've got a suit, but I can't take myself seriously when I wear it. I want my clothing to be a non-issue. Comfortable, modest and inconspicuous. Gosh I'm so picky :P

I recommend heading to a Goodwill for a pair of shoes. They don't have to be that dressy as you want them to be comfortable, but you definitely don't want gym shoes. It sounds like you're male, so I'm going to recommend a button up shirt, slacks, and a belt. You don't need a tie and you don't need a jacket. As long as everything fits well you should be comfortable.

Actually, even if you're female going with dress pants and a button up blouse may be good as well, so it wouldn't be too dissimilar to what the men are wearing.

I have lots of brewing, disorganized, stressful thoughts on this subject:

I'm stuck on this point, too. It took me forever to find pants that I would feel comfortable wearing (and would look nice), and I did find a couple pairs.

But now...blouses? Buttons downs? Blazers? Tuck it in or no (do I need to find a belt, too)? Ugh. 

I've decided that I like the look of a nice cable-knit sweater over a button down (my interviews say "business casual" or don't say at all), but still...should it all be tucked in? If not, should the button down's hem be shorter than the sweater?

I bought a nice blouse from Loft on "Cyber Monday" but I haven't taken it out of the box yet (...I don't have a reason for this).

Ordinarily, I live in long-ish neutral-color cardigans over solid knit tees, dark skinny jeans, and oxford flats or boots. I don't feel like a "slob" or anything, I'm just not used to the more businessy side of "business casual".

Would this usual sort of outfit work on non-interview days?

I'm trying to compile a list of things an interview weekend would require:

• An interview outfit
  • Non-interview day outfits (including whatever you fly in wearing)
  • Toiletries (obviously), but perfume is a nope in case people are allergic
  • A portfolio for the interview (for copies of your CV and etc)
  • A tote bag for holding the portfolio and a notebook to write questions for profs in/summaries of interviews (for writing pertinent thank you's)/other stuff you feel like keeping record of
  • Perhaps a watch, since phones are a no-go
  • There are quite a few articles out there that say you should opt to wear glasses (if you actually have glasses; no fakers), here's one: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1343667/Job-interview-tips-Wear-glasses-look-professional.html  plus the dry air in airplanes is hard with contacts (or maybe that's just me).

What else belongs on my list?

Speaking of portfolios, I was wondering a few things about them. I know generally what to include, but should there be multiple copies of the items in the portfolio (so they can be given out)? I'm not positive how the interviewers use the portfolio... do they just look through it, or do they keep parts of it for future reference?

Speaking of portfolios, I was wondering a few things about them. I know generally what to include, but should there be multiple copies of the items in the portfolio (so they can be given out)? I'm not positive how the interviewers use the portfolio... do they just look through it, or do they keep parts of it for future reference?

I think the portfolio is for us, and we keep multiple copies of things that we want to share. I mean, you could put folders (with CVs/etc inside) in the portfolio and give profs a folder to keep.

I don't know anyone who gave their interviewers CVs or anything. The person interviewing you has your entire application in front of them usually and the point of the interview is to get to know you beyond your stats and numbers. So I don't know if it would be helpful to bring copies of your CV or anything like that. But that's just my opinion, maybe others strongly disagree

This is what I had in my portfolio:

multiple copies of my most recent CV

multiple copies of my publications

1-2 papers of the profs I was interviewing with (didn't bring this with always but had it for travel days and before the interview).

Note pad with pen.

None of the profs asked or even got close to wanting the material I had, many had copies of stuff to look at themselves, but always great to have it available for the one prof who doesn't.  It is one of those want to have it when they ask but rarely gets asked for scenarios.

Most schools give you a portfolio of some kind too, some were nice folders and others were tried and true portfolios.  They include your schedule, program information, pen, paper/notes.  Some programs gave me a tote, water bottle candy, granola bars etc. 

As for extra random things to bring with you on interview weekend:  band-aids, mints or gum for after lunch, dinner; tide to go stick in case there is a spill on an outfit you'll be wearing again shortly, de-wrinkle stuff, I can't think of anything else yet....

I'm stuck on this point, too. It took me forever to find pants that I would feel comfortable wearing (and would look nice), and I did find a couple pairs.

But now...blouses? Buttons downs? Blazers? Tuck it in or no (do I need to find a belt, too)? Ugh. 

I've decided that I like the look of a nice cable-knit sweater over a button down (my interviews say "business casual" or don't say at all), but still...should it all be tucked in? If not, should the button down's hem be shorter than the sweater?

I bought a nice blouse from Loft on "Cyber Monday" but I haven't taken it out of the box yet (...I don't have a reason for this).

Ordinarily, I live in long-ish neutral-color cardigans over solid knit tees, dark skinny jeans, and oxford flats or boots. I don't feel like a "slob" or anything, I'm just not used to the more businessy side of "business casual".

Would this usual sort of outfit work on non-interview days?

I'm trying to compile a list of things an interview weekend would require:

• An interview outfit
  • Non-interview day outfits (including whatever you fly in wearing)
  • Toiletries (obviously), but perfume is a nope in case people are allergic
  • A portfolio for the interview (for copies of your CV and etc)
  • A tote bag for holding the portfolio and a notebook to write questions for profs in/summaries of interviews (for writing pertinent thank you's)/other stuff you feel like keeping record of
  • Perhaps a watch, since phones are a no-go
  • There are quite a few articles out there that say you should opt to wear glasses (if you actually have glasses; no fakers), here's one: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1343667/Job-interview-tips-Wear-glasses-look-professional.html  plus the dry air in airplanes is hard with contacts (or maybe that's just me).

What else belongs on my list?

Snacks. In the two interviews I had we had weird downtime when we go in or random other times. Some granola bars will keep you much happier. :)

Hah, pasteltomato, you read my mind. I don't have any nice clothes yet... need to go shopping over the holidays. And I pretty much do dress like a slob most of the time...skinny jeans or black pants or running tights and a sweatshirt with my undergrad school on it pretty much 24/7/365. So you're definitely ahead of me. 

I haven't even heard of a portfolio before. Is this something everyone does? I don't have any publications, so what would I need besides potentially copies of my CV? 

You guys are all lifesavers, by the way. Thank you so much. 

I still struggle with those whole "business casual" nonsense. What does that even mean? Do I have to wear a skirt? (I'm a girl) Or can I wear dress pants?

And shoes. Seriously. I'm a combat boots and converse type of girl. I CAN wear heels, but my comfortable ones are not meant for being worn outside (they are for dance and have suede soles). And I physically cannot wear flats - my feet are narrow, and the shoes fall off. Here I have no problem wearing combat boots with a pencil skirt and tights for my honors thesis defense, but everyone in the department here kinda knows that's how I am - I have a feeling that's not the best first impression to use for a new place though.

Also, my labmates told me that they don't really care what you look like, but my hair is fire-engine red. Sure it'll fade by interviews but I still worry. 

Sorry I'm a little panicky and ranty right now. Still an undergrad, finals are next week, and I just CAN'T wait until the emails start coming in!

But seriously, if any girls out there have recommendations for dressy shoes for a narrow-footed person please tell me!

Not everyone bring a portfolio but I'm type A and tend to over prepare.  You should not assume that your interviewers have your CV.  The day I interviewed at one school I had a sub in since my interviewer had a pipe burst in her house so another faculty replaced her.  They may not all have your information or it may be difficult to find them (surprise not all PIs are super organized) so I felt better knowing I could pass them one in those events.  Again it never happened.  Also if you don't have pubs then you don't need to replace it with anything.  Some faculty had read my pubs and wanted to talk about it but that is the extent that it went.  I also had one publication that had been accepted but was not published yet, so I wanted to have the latest editor draft with me.

I still struggle with those whole "business casual" nonsense. What does that even mean? Do I have to wear a skirt? (I'm a girl) Or can I wear dress pants?

And shoes. Seriously. I'm a combat boots and converse type of girl. I CAN wear heels, but my comfortable ones are not meant for being worn outside (they are for dance and have suede soles). And I physically cannot wear flats - my feet are narrow, and the shoes fall off. Here I have no problem wearing combat boots with a pencil skirt and tights for my honors thesis defense, but everyone in the department here kinda knows that's how I am - I have a feeling that's not the best first impression to use for a new place though.

Also, my labmates told me that they don't really care what you look like, but my hair is fire-engine red. Sure it'll fade by interviews but I still worry. 

Sorry I'm a little panicky and ranty right now. Still an undergrad, finals are next week, and I just CAN'T wait until the emails start coming in!

But seriously, if any girls out there have recommendations for dressy shoes for a narrow-footed person please tell me!

I'm prefacing this by saying I'm male, which is likely to color my perception.

To start, I saw plenty of women wearing pants during my interviews, I sincerely doubt pants will be an issue. But, if you want to wear a skirt nobody will complain either.

Second, I very much do not recommend heels unless you're very comfortable in them and are willing to do a bit of walking while wearing them. I do think there are plenty of women's boots which can look professional and the good news is that it looks like you applied to programs in wintery areas so it can make sense to wear boots.

And I would be sincerely surprised if anybody disapproved of your hair. This is academia, people aren't supposed to be quite normal.

Ladies: My take on business casual was a fitted fully buttoned neutral cardigan (nothing baggy/worn-looking/questionably sized for my frame) over bootcut dress pants (not tucked in/belted), and black booties with a slight wedge heel. Now, I only have experience interviewing at one school because it's the only place I applied, so I don't have that much information on how this compares to many others. However, I emailed the admin assistant of the department to find out that the dress code was business casual, and apparently no one else did, because I was the only woman not wearing a suit. However, we were all in pants. Being in a science where skirts are not even allowed in the lab, it doesn't ever cross my mind to wear a skirt unless someone specifically bring it up, so this may have been field-specific. I think it turned out fine though, because I felt more comfortable and "normal" in my more relaxed attire, and I think it came across in my interviews when I got grilled a bit. It was also pretty funny because the DGS and a couple other faculty members are very casual, and I'm glad I didn't show up in a suit to interview with someone wearing jeans. Point of the story is: find clothes that make you feel like a dressier and more put-together version of yourself, because comfort is very important in an interview, and don't hesitate to ask about the dress code if none is given. 

One important thing to remember to bring: a sufficiently structured bag that can still hold a water bottle. I was very glad to have mine with me. Stress can give you serious dry mouth issues. 

Hair-wise, I just tried my best to get it out of my face and didn't worry about other features. As far as unusual colors and styles, I find most scientists are pretty tolerant and don't hold it against you, but it definitely shouldn't need to be constantly brushed away from the face. 

I plan to travel by plane, first time alone. Yes exciting!

I'll wear x1 business casual wardrobe with winter coat.

School backpack can hold toiletries, book for pleasure reading, randoms (iphone charger, snacks), and school specific information.

Carry on luggage can hold x1 interview wardrobe including shoes, x1 extra business casual wardobe, x1 PJ's. Slipping on my palm tree pajamas will feel good after a day of interviews ^_^

My school specific information will be travel papers, profiles of professors+research, map, etc. I'm hoping to get by with minimal materials. As long as I can still smile and be engaged in what's around me!

Thought this was funny and pretty usefulhttp://notthelab.blogspot.com/2013/01/tips-for-grad-school-recruiting-weekends.html

Edit: oops, this is for chemistry, so not so useful. Still amusing, though.

Edited by ss2player

Okay, question I never thought I'd ask: how many interviews should I attend?

I have committed to five interviews: OHSU, CU Denver, Vanderbilt, Utah, and Iowa. I have had seven invites; I haven't committed to Pitt but they are calling me on Monday to discuss the interview, and I had to turn UW down.

Brandeis is the only school I haven't heard from, but they typically send invites in January.

I already have invites from the schools that I am most excited about. However, I know that visiting a school in real life can drastically change one's preferred lineup.

Should I turn down future invites? Or is it worth it to visit?

I don't want to take a spot that could be given to someone who actually really wants to go to a particular school. This is the sole reason that I am considering turning down invites, but it's a big one to me. Being on the gradcafe forums and getting the chance to interact with so many like-minded people with common interests and goals has really changed my perspective.

My PI thinks I should take every visit I can get, because interviews are a fun way to network. She also thinks that because I am shy, mass interviewing might be a good way to obliterate my shell before grad school.

So, I see pros and cons. I'd really like to hear some other perspecives on this before Pitt calls me on Monday.

Okay, question I never thought I'd ask: how many interviews should I attend?

I have committed to five interviews: OHSU, CU Denver, Vanderbilt, Utah, and Iowa. I have had seven invites; I haven't committed to Pitt but they are calling me on Monday to discuss the interview, and I had to turn UW down.

Brandeis is the only school I haven't heard from, but they typically send invites in January.

I already have invites from the schools that I am most excited about. However, I know that visiting a school in real life can drastically change one's preferred lineup.

Should I turn down future invites? Or is it worth it to visit?

I don't want to take a spot that could be given to someone who actually really wants to go to a particular school. This is the sole reason that I am considering turning down invites, but it's a big one to me. Being on the gradcafe forums and getting the chance to interact with so many like-minded people with common interests and goals has really changed my perspective.

My PI thinks I should take every visit I can get, because interviews are a fun way to network. She also thinks that because I am shy, mass interviewing might be a good way to obliterate my shell before grad school.

So, I see pros and cons. I'd really like to hear some other perspecives on this before Pitt calls me on Monday.

Good job on getting so many interviews!!

I personally did 5 interviews and felt that was perfect. I would probably recommend between 4 and 7. With 7 you would be gone essentially every weekend for 7 weeks straight, which could be a little tiring, but it is nothing that it unmanagable. Honestly, do as many as you feel comfortable you can handle. There is no intrinsic negative to accepting more interviews other than burnout, but if you feel like you can manage more then go for it!

Interviewing does get to be tiresome, and after a few weeks of if it you will be wondering why did I apply to so many schools.  that being said, my top choice that i had wanted to go gave me an invite prior to my finishing my interview cycle (but obviously after i had accepted all these interviews)..  I still went because as your PI said, going there and visiting can give you a drastic change in your opinion, this is also why i waited to finish my interviews to select my school on the off chance that the last one somehow blew me away...which who knows, it could!  I also felt it was only fair to go while still having not made up my mind..  i would recommend that if you think you can make it, go.  One of the schools I interviewed at that i didn't think i would love THAT much, I started to really like.  I will most certainly consider this place for a postdoc...which when i struggled to tell them I was going to another school they also reached out and said, we'd love to have you in the future.  Now I would NEVER have had this idea in place had I not gone to this interview.  You also get a chance to network, see what other places are doing, and research...remember you are going to be a graduate student now...your whole life is going to be devoted to learning and researching!  7 will be a lot to do, I think 5 will be plenty, but if you think you can make it and there is a chance you'd go to one of them...i'd encourage you to go if you can make it.  If you feel you've got all your top 5 already and they have the best focus of research and places you'd like to be...then I'd say skip it.  I think you'll get into one of the five you are currently scheduled to go to.  it is more of what you can handle and how serious you are about these others.

I'll also caution that at some point you will ask yourself....what if i had gone to such and such place.  Its going to happen I think everyone so far in grad school has at one point thought about what if they picked their second choice school or what if they had chosen to go to this interview that they turned down.  Would it be different.  This is why its important to pick a place you are really happy with.  I've thought about that second choice every so often, but quickly say...no this is my place, and trust me I'm elated at the school I am attending and wouldn't change it for the world at this point.  But....you will in at least a brief moment wonder what if....  If you see yourself being bothered that you never interviewed at one of these places, then do it now...  

My one regret from applying was not going for the top top schools, i had no idea what my chances were so I applied to solid programs but not like Harvard or Stanford...in retrospect I should have at least threw my hat in the ring to SeE...Again though, I love my school....I think it is the school for me.  And as long as you get the one that feels like its yours...and you'll know....thats the most important interview to go to!  It only takes the one.  Best of luck! 

No problem, blinkchik....I'm happy to help out, feel free to pm me if you have any further questions.  I'm on break now so I've got way more free time to help and I know I had a lot of questions and its good to hear from those people who did this already.  No one wants to head into their top pick not knowing anything and having that be the first interview experience they get and feel terrified.  We've all been there so at least this information I've accumulated isn't going to waste!

Interviewing does get to be tiresome, and after a few weeks of if it you will be wondering why did I apply to so many schools.  that being said, my top choice that i had wanted to go gave me an invite prior to my finishing my interview cycle (but obviously after i had accepted all these interviews)..  I still went because as your PI said, going there and visiting can give you a drastic change in your opinion, this is also why i waited to finish my interviews to select my school on the off chance that the last one somehow blew me away...which who knows, it could!  I also felt it was only fair to go while still having not made up my mind..  i would recommend that if you think you can make it, go.  One of the schools I interviewed at that i didn't think i would love THAT much, I started to really like.  I will most certainly consider this place for a postdoc...which when i struggled to tell them I was going to another school they also reached out and said, we'd love to have you in the future.  Now I would NEVER have had this idea in place had I not gone to this interview.  You also get a chance to network, see what other places are doing, and research...remember you are going to be a graduate student now...your whole life is going to be devoted to learning and researching!  7 will be a lot to do, I think 5 will be plenty, but if you think you can make it and there is a chance you'd go to one of them...i'd encourage you to go if you can make it.  If you feel you've got all your top 5 already and they have the best focus of research and places you'd like to be...then I'd say skip it.  I think you'll get into one of the five you are currently scheduled to go to.  it is more of what you can handle and how serious you are about these others.

I'll also caution that at some point you will ask yourself....what if i had gone to such and such place.  Its going to happen I think everyone so far in grad school has at one point thought about what if they picked their second choice school or what if they had chosen to go to this interview that they turned down.  Would it be different.  This is why its important to pick a place you are really happy with.  I've thought about that second choice every so often, but quickly say...no this is my place, and trust me I'm elated at the school I am attending and wouldn't change it for the world at this point.  But....you will in at least a brief moment wonder what if....  If you see yourself being bothered that you never interviewed at one of these places, then do it now...  

My one regret from applying was not going for the top top schools, i had no idea what my chances were so I applied to solid programs but not like Harvard or Stanford...in retrospect I should have at least threw my hat in the ring to SeE...Again though, I love my school....I think it is the school for me.  And as long as you get the one that feels like its yours...and you'll know....thats the most important interview to go to!  It only takes the one.  Best of luck! 

You have been so helpful. I really, really appreciate it.

In general, are there scheduled breaks between consecutive interviews? Even 5 minutes would be helpful.

Are the interviews all held in the same area? I'm picturing a big, open room with many tables, but this is my uninformed imagination's work.

In particularly snowy/raining settings, is there a chance to change after the interviews or should my interview clothes depend on the weather?

Here's a vague question that I'm going to ask anyway: how much do I need to know about my interviewers' research?

I am totally fine dissecting the last 5 years of everyone's publications (I have a couple weeks off...) but I don't know if this is necessary, or if understanding a few of their recent papers would be sufficient.

Will I specifically be asked questions about their research, or am I just expected to be able to hold a conversation about it and ask them questions?

In general, are there scheduled breaks between consecutive interviews? Even 5 minutes would be helpful.

Are the interviews all held in the same area? I'm picturing a big, open room with many tables, but this is my uninformed imagination's work.

In particularly snowy/raining settings, is there a chance to change after the interviews or should my interview clothes depend on the weather?

Here's a vague question that I'm going to ask anyway: how much do I need to know about my interviewers' research?

I am totally fine dissecting the last 5 years of everyone's publications (I have a couple weeks off...) but I don't know if this is necessary, or if understanding a few of their recent papers would be sufficient.

Will I specifically be asked questions about their research, or am I just expected to be able to hold a conversation about it and ask them questions?

All of the places I interviewed at had 10-15 minute breaks in between interviews. At places like MIT where all buildings are close to each other these breaks were good to eat a snack, use the restroom, check your e-mail, etc. Other schools like Wisconsin - Madison, which has buildings spread throughout the city, had breaks that were used more as a means of getting from point A to B. 

Interviews are held in your interviewers office or a small conference/seminar room with only yourself and your interviewer.

Most interviews tend to end around 5 PM, this usually followed by a dinner of sorts or social event. Dress nice but take into account weather, people will understand if you are wearing rain/snow boots or a rain coat.

I usually read my interviewer's lab webpage and if I couldn't find anything else I would try to read at least their most recent paper (or the abstract if there was lack of time). I think reading multiple papers per interviewers is over-preparing a little much, lab webpage or 1 paper should be more than enough. If you have a professor your REALLY want to work with and impress, then go ahead and read as much as you'd like. Out of all my interviews in all the schools I went to only one professor asked me a question about his research. He showed me a few slides on his research and then asked me a simple question based on a slide he was currently presenting. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

At minimum you're expected to take a few minutes to walk from one office to the next, stopping for a quick bathroom break or similar is no big deal. Where I interviewed there were grad students who volunteered to help out and one was assigned to each of us to escort us around and they can show you were the bathroom is.

All of mine where in the professor's office.

As long as you're wearing halfway decent clothing you'll be fine. If it's snowy (like in Utah or Colorado) nobody cares if you are carrying a winter coat or are wearing warmer footwear.

What I did was read the last paper the professor published. Also, t's actually really easy to get professors to talk about their research, but not necessarily the best use of the time. It's not that no time should be spent on it, but you're not going to get grilled about what they do and once the professor starts talking about their research that's going to take up the rest of the interview. Do come in with questions; about the university, about the program, and yes, about their research. The important thing is to be engaged and interested.