For the seasoned interviewees: I have questions, (maybe) you have answers.

gliaful

Orims and Vene, thank you for clearing these things up for me.

I don't know how I got it into my head that I needed to read several papers per interviewer. I suppose I just tend to overprepare, especially for times of high anxiety.

Interviews keep sounding better and better. At first I really thought it would be a massive grill-sesh. I will, of course, take the interviews seriously, but this makes me feel a lot better.

I will say i read at least 1-2 papers for all my interviewers.... but again i was probably over preparing.  It went well for me, because I actually had PIs tell me I got extra points when I referred to something they recently published.  It also made it super easy to ask questions about their research.  

Pro tip: if you can get a prof talking about his/her research...your interview will be over in what feels like 5 minutes.  

If it is your top choice I'd at least read abstracts of a few papers of your interviewers.  It will do wonders for you.  You have time in airports and sitting around, so there is plenty of time to look at some recent pubs.  I just went to pubmed, put in the pi for author and looked at recently published.  sometimes someone else is publishing, like a grad student (Good signs!) and they are the last author.  if this is your top pick and these are the PIs you are interested in working with...this won't feel like work, it'll actually be interesting and fun to you!

Interviews keep sounding better and better. At first I really thought it would be a massive grill-sesh. I will, of course, take the interviews seriously, but this makes me feel a lot better.

The interviews I went to were awesome. It started with a gathering and social event, then a day of "interviews" which really means talking about research with people who are excited to talk about research, and then another meal/social event. Its more about finding fit once you get on-site. They already know how you are as a student. Then want to know if people can stand to work with you and whether or not you will bring the department up, or down. Its supposed to be fun and relaxed. 

I never read a whole paper when preparing for interviews, just lab web pages and a little bit about the background of some people. That was helpful to direct my questions towards the end of the interview, but no one ever asked me about their research specifically. 

I have a question about flights. I've been on a plane once in my life, but it was 6 years ago and I checked my bag.

I've got 6 flights lined up, and I've decided I don't want to deal with checked luggage. I don't want to show up to an interview weekend with lost/destroyed luggage.

So, I'm looking at the TSA regulations for carry-on liquids, and I'm wondering if one can feasibly fit all necessary liquid toiletries into a single quart-sized bag.

I have four 3 oz travel containers and it appears that this is all a quart-sized bag can hold. Today I decided to buy a dozen 1 oz containers from Amazon in hopes that these would free up some space in the bag. Of course, they haven't arrived yet, but now I'm just antsy about making sure I can get this stuff to fit in a bag. I knew that I would need shampoo, conditioner, face wash, lotion, etc, but I didn't realize that semi-solid items such as deodorant and lipstick were also regulated as liquids!

Does anyone have any tips for getting a whole buncha stuff to fit in a Ziploc bag?

Can I heat the bag over my stove and stretch it out a little? Are there any liquid items that I can "sneak" into my carry-on without putting them in my quart bag? How do they know I'm carrying liquids anyway?

Other related question: can I take prescription meds in my carry-on? They are all properly labeled, but I was thinking about transporting just what I would need for the trip (as opposed to the whole bottles) -- so for this I am unsure.

They will see the liquids not in a bag and make you throw them out... most likely. I usually pack anything necessary (well, that I can't easily find just anywhere, like my makeup and deodorant) and then buy everything else after I get through security or when I land. I rarely pack toothpaste, shaving cream, and shampoo/conditioner if I'm flying without a checked bag just because it's annoying.

I have a question about flights. I've been on a plane once in my life, but it was 6 years ago and I checked my bag.

I've got 6 flights lined up, and I've decided I don't want to deal with checked luggage. I don't want to show up to an interview weekend with lost/destroyed luggage.

So, I'm looking at the TSA regulations for carry-on liquids, and I'm wondering if one can feasibly fit all necessary liquid toiletries into a single quart-sized bag.

I have four 3 oz travel containers and it appears that this is all a quart-sized bag can hold. Today I decided to buy a dozen 1 oz containers from Amazon in hopes that these would free up some space in the bag. Of course, they haven't arrived yet, but now I'm just antsy about making sure I can get this stuff to fit in a bag. I knew that I would need shampoo, conditioner, face wash, lotion, etc, but I didn't realize that semi-solid items such as deodorant and lipstick were also regulated as liquids!

Does anyone have any tips for getting a whole buncha stuff to fit in a Ziploc bag?

Can I heat the bag over my stove and stretch it out a little? Are there any liquid items that I can "sneak" into my carry-on without putting them in my quart bag? How do they know I'm carrying liquids anyway?

Other related question: can I take prescription meds in my carry-on? They are all properly labeled, but I was thinking about transporting just what I would need for the trip (as opposed to the whole bottles) -- so for this I am unsure.

Gee, so high maintenance :P (kidding!)

Have you made a list of what you absolutely need for a weekend? I would definitely start with that.

Keep in mind that a quart is 32 oz, and you have 12 one-ounce containers. You should be fine (and have some extra space).

There are some ways to "cut corners." For example, you can buy a little container of 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner. If there are things that you don't use daily (e.g. face wash for me is used weekly) you might want to use it the night/day before the trip so you do not have to carry it along.

In my experience, TSA asks if you have any liquids and they put the bag through a scanner/xray machine/whatever it is.

As for meds, I'm in the same boat as you. I would rather be safe than sorry and keep them in original containers. If you happen to have some empty labeled containers, you can put the right number of meds in those.

Just my two cents.

I went backpacking once in another country for a week and just brought my backpack as carry-on. I bought those tiny bottles of shampoo, conditioner, etc. I also found a small bottle of sunblock, too. If I remember correctly, my zip lock bag had shampoo, 2 conditioners, 2 body washes, toothpaste, mouthwash, and sunblock. The sunblock was the most difficult to fit, because it was tall. There aren't really any special tricks you can do to make your bag bigger, but having similar sized containers that aren't in weird shapes is helpful. The bag does have a little stretch to it, though, so you can squeeze a lot in.

Also, I do know that I didn't put my deodorant in the zip lock bag and no one said anything. I've also had lip gloss and chapstick in my purse while flying and never had a problem. I didn't even know these things were considered liquids (well, except for the gloss). I'm not sure how they detect liquids (maybe the x-ray machine shows something), but sometimes they do know. For example, when traveling this past summer, I had bought a bottle of soda in my starting airport and only drank a little. When I arrived at a connecting airport and went through security, they opened my bag and hunted around until they found it. So they have some way of knowing about big things, or perhaps they just saw the shape of the bottle. I don't know!

For your meds, make sure they are in the original containers with your name, prescription, etc. on it. You're supposed to have proof of the prescription, so they could give you a hard time about it if you switch containers.

Just remembered... I also had bug spray and special sunblock for my face in my zip lock bag, too. So that means I had 2 sunblocks, 1 shampoo, 2 conditioners, 2 body washes, toothpaste, mouthwash, and bug spray. That's a lot of stuff. Plus, the shampoo and conditioner lasted a whole week, and I used it almost everyday (and my hair is quite long). I only used half of the second body wash, too. So I think you will be able to fit everything you need for an interview weekend just fine. Just plan for what you need!

Also, if anyone is interviewing somewhere warm and you are going out hiking or something outdoorsy as an activity, I highly recommend Buggspray if you don't mind deet. The clean scent smells pretty good, and it actually works. Plus they sell a travel size.

Just remembered... I also had bug spray and special sunblock for my face in my zip lock bag, too. So that means I had 2 sunblocks, 1 shampoo, 2 conditioners, 2 body washes, toothpaste, mouthwash, and bug spray. That's a lot of stuff. Plus, the shampoo and conditioner lasted a whole week, and I used it almost everyday (and my hair is quite long). I only used half of the second body wash, too. So I think you will be able to fit everything you need for an interview weekend just fine. Just plan for what you need!

Also, if anyone is interviewing somewhere warm and you are going out hiking or something outdoorsy as an activity, I highly recommend Buggspray if you don't mind deet. The clean scent smells pretty good, and it actually works. Plus they sell a travel size.

Thanks! Sounds like I should be able to fit my basics in a bag, especially since I really only need 2-3 days worth of stuff.

@pasteltomato, I fly at least 6 times a year and have never put stick deodorant/Chapstick/lipstick in the clear quart bag for liquids before, and have never had an issue. I usually put more liquid things like lip gloss or mascara in the bag for liquids, but sometimes I forget and never have had an issue. The only issues I have ever encountered was when I forgot that I had a bottle of water and a can of yogurt in my bag, and they made me throw it out.

It shouldn't be too difficult. Travel-size containers of things like shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc are quite small and a quart plastic bag is larger than you think it is. I flew to DC for five days with no issues. Don't try to hide things in the rest of your luggage, you don't want to have to spend more time in security than is necessary. When you go through security, you have to take that bag full of liquids out and send it through separately.

If all else fails, maybe you could run through a CVS (or similar) for anything you had to leave behind and absolutely require? Or if you're staying at a hotel, you can use their stuff?

I have a separate question that may have been answered, but I haven't seen it: How many other interviewees tend to be at the weekends with you? Or did you observe that there was a large range of numbers?

It will fluctuate and it largely depends on  a) how many spots they hope to fill and B) if there is one interview weekend or multiple.  I'd say you should expect at least 15-20 on average.  If it is part of an umbrella program then it may be like 30-40 with a portion of that being for your interest or department.  

It will fluctuate and it largely depends on  a) how many spots they hope to fill and B) if there is one interview weekend or multiple.  I'd say you should expect at least 15-20 on average.  If it is part of an umbrella program then it may be like 30-40 with a portion of that being for your interest or department.  

Would you say that you tend to make friends with the other interviewees? Just wondering! Also, do you tend to see the same people at all your other interviews? l None of these are particularly vital questions to the interview process, but I'm just curious.

Would you say that you tend to make friends with the other interviewees? Just wondering! Also, do you tend to see the same people at all your other interviews? l None of these are particularly vital questions to the interview process, but I'm just curious.

Yes and yes! I saw most if the same people at all of my interviews and have the pleasure of working with many of them now.

Sorry to keep on going back to the outfit questions but... I'm the opposite of what most people were asking. As in, most of my business-casual clothes are dresses with short heels. Or a nice top with boot-cut pants and again short heels. Is this too much?

I'm worried about appearing like I don't belong in a lab because of being girly/delicate. I guess I'll probably try to tone down my outfits a bit, it's just going to mean going back and buying a few staple pieces.

As for what to expect at interviews, what sort of questions were you asked?

I go to a really small school for undergrad and I'm not used to so many of the terms and protocol at big research universities. My research experience was definitely more casual than others. But it was definitely a time-consuming, long hours, sort of experience. Did anyone else have this problem? How were you able to show yourself as ready for graduate school without the same experience as students from big research universities?

I go to a really small school for undergrad and I'm not used to so many of the terms and protocol at big research universities. My research experience was definitely more casual than others. But it was definitely a time-consuming, long hours, sort of experience. Did anyone else have this problem? How were you able to show yourself as ready for graduate school without the same experience as students from big research universities?

I have the same issue. However, when I went to a large research university for a summer, it didn't seem to be a crippling issue. In fact, the people that I worked with felt that I was more than qualified to be there. The point I'm getting at is that the specific topic or even how formal the research experience does not seem to be an issue; what's most important are the underlying skills that you learned in the process. Those things are transferable to any university. The rest is not impossible to learn. 

I have the same issue. However, when I went to a large research university for a summer, it didn't seem to be a crippling issue. In fact, the people that I worked with felt that I was more than qualified to be there. The point I'm getting at is that the specific topic or even how formal the research experience does not seem to be an issue; what's most important are the underlying skills that you learned in the process. Those things are transferable to any university. The rest is not impossible to learn. 

This ^^^ My undergrad had <2000 students. I still spent all my free time, summers and weekends in the lab and that comes across in your rec letters and interviews. Honestly, biggest adjustment I had? Larger research universities have "Support centers" where you can BUY SCIENCE SUPPLIES ON CAMPUS!! First day I was a kid in a candy shop. Don't worry...be clear about the experience you do have and you should be fine :).

As for attire: my preferred outfit was grey slacks, a nice white top with minimal decoration and a black, fitted jacket. Black flats/nice black boots; no heels. Feel free to wear heels if you can do so without killing your feet; it's a long day and, if you find them at all uncomfortable, I recommend not wearing them.

As for skirts vs pants: it's cold and you will likely have to walk outside, but that's the only downside to skirts...you just look a little silly in a skirt in snow. I would not recommend a dress for interviews...women who wore dresses looked out of place and you may feel uncomfortable, but by all means wear a dress for the after-interview activities. That being said...wear what makes YOU comfortable. I think slacks, nice top and jacket will fit in everywhere, present the right amount of "seriousness" and keep you warm but most importantly you want to feel confident in what you wear!

@glowgene, could you elaborate on issues with dresses for interviews? I had an outfit involving a very conservative grey dress with a black blazer, opaque tights, and flat boots approved by my mentor as an interview outfit, so I'm wondering if there's something I'm not aware of.

I think glow gene is just saying you may feel out of place- since other female applicants will wear a skirt, or pants of some type. It is cold, you will be walking around all day. You can wear a dress if you want, it doesn't differ from a skirt that much. In my experience, I saw more women wearing pants than dress/skirts because of the weather and not all buildings are heated to what you may be comfortable in. Additionally, women in skirts/dresses screams "I'm an applicant" and thats fine. If you are more comfortable wearing a dress, wear it. I love dresses- I wear them with tights in the winter, love them. I also am honest with my self and realize sometimes, it's cold and I know when I am cold i am uncomfortable and not my normal chatty and focused self. At this late stage in the game, there is no room for error and i wasn't ready to let temperature stand between me being myself and me looking nice but being cold and coming off aloof.

Also, I know several male professors who keep their offices extremely cold! Not because they are jerks but honestly, they swear it makes them more productive. You will be entering other peoples workspaces and you should just be comfortable in what you are wearing all day.

Good luck!

@glowgene, could you elaborate on issues with dresses for interviews? I had an outfit involving a very conservative grey dress with a black blazer, opaque tights, and flat boots approved by my mentor as an interview outfit, so I'm wondering if there's something I'm not aware of.

This sounds great to me. I think attire really depends on the school/program...I'm not glowgene, though, so we'll see what she says.

What do you mean by "flat boots"? At this point I am struggling with boots. It'll be winter everywhere I go (no California/southern schools for me), and when I think of boots, I think of those nearly knee-high boots that just about everyone in my location wears over skinny jeans or fleece tights. I always saw them as so casual, but are they really?

Like I said, a dress is fine in that it is not inappropriate and if it makes YOU feel confident, then go for it. I just saw only one or two people in dresses across all of my interviews and if being dressed differently would make you feel uncomfortable, then you may want to wear slacks. I've heard professors say they find skirts or slacks more professional but I don't think that would impact your acceptance and obviously varies between interviewers. 

Also, please take my temperature suggestions with a grain of salt. I'm from the Bahamas and the worst thing I can imagine is being cold all day. I was pretty darn freezing in my pants and jacket and couldn't really imagine doing it all in a dress or skirt...but then again I'm always cold. 

I just saw only one or two people in dresses across all of my interviews

This brings up another question: it sounds like you see the other interviewees during the interview period of the weekend?

So, I'm picturing a bunch of nervous interviewees standing together and being escorted to faculty offices by grad students. When you're finished speaking to one of your interviewers and you step outside of their office, are you led to your next interview by a grad student? Or are you on your own to find your next stop?

I get lost easily.

EDIT: I have another question, too.

So, I have heard that April 15th is the deadline for accepting an offer of admission. However, I have also heard that some schools will give you a decision shortly after you interview and want to hear from you within a week. How are you supposed to handle this if you have more interviews planned?

Edited by pasteltomato

This brings up another question: it sounds like you see the other interviewees during the interview period of the weekend?

So, I'm picturing a bunch of nervous interviewees standing together and being escorted to faculty offices by grad students. When you're finished speaking to one of your interviewers and you step outside of their office, are you led to your next interview by a grad student? Or are you on your own to find your next stop?

I get lost easily.

You won't be left to wander on your own! A grad student or the professor you just interviewed with will usually take you to your next interview or group event. Keep your printed itinerary handy (you'll almost always get one at the hotel or at a morning meeting) so you can remind whoever is leading you around where you need to go next. Interviews will be your only "solo" activity, everything else will be as a group, though there will likely be mixers with current students where you can separate from your interview group and be social. 

This was true of all of my interviews, which were primarily larger genetics programs. I don't know if smaller programs differ significantly but I can't imagine any of them would leave you to wander your way through the campus trying to find your interviewer's office.