GRE/GMAT score?

gradjm

PLEASE do not quote the post

I didn't know a GRE/GMAT forum existed on this site, so posting a few questions I have about the test here...

I just realized that my gmat score is over 5 years old and can't be used for the application to HKS in december. So I will have to take the gre or gmat test in the next couple of days, likely this weekend, in order to apply this year.

I am not sure which one to take as it would make more sense to invest time/money into the test that helps the application most. If a high score in GMAT may be seen as more of a good thing than GRE than I would rather take GMAT.

I just downloaded a software named powerprep and took a sample verbal/quant test and got 166 q, 168 v. I am not sure why it doesn't show the score relative to 800. I think I may be looking at the wrong software.

Questions:

Is the powerprep software same difficulty as the real test? It seemed easy, is there some other software that's close to the real?

Does a very high score like 750 in gmat better than getting a very high score in GRE (750 gmat versus 700v, 800q GRE)?

Someone who has only 2-3 hours to study for GRE before the test, what would be the best practice test he could take?

(powerprep seemed too easy so may not be real)

thanks

PLEASE do not quote the post

I just downloaded a software named powerprep and took a sample verbal/quant test and got 166 q, 168 v. I am not sure why it doesn't show the score relative to 800. I think I may be looking at the wrong software.

I'm going to go ahead and quote the post. Cause I'm feeling obstinate today. 

Anyhow, you have the correct software. They changed the GRE scoring system a couple years ago. The scores it projected for you are very, very good. (It's out of 170 now, each section.) 

HKS's site says they accept both the GMAT and the GRE, so I cannot advise as to which score would be more impressive.  

I personally used Magoosh prep, which SEEMED very helpful but did not help me improve my score between my two test attempts. 

• 2 weeks later...

You're not told the the relative conditions of the probabilities.

The two events could be mutually exclusive, in which case the probability that neither will occur is 1 - (0.5 + 0.3) which is 0.2.

Or

The first event could be fully dependent on the second in which case it's 0.3 probability is already accounted for in the 0.5 probability. The probability of neither is 1 - 0.5 which is 0.5

So the actual probability of neither occurring ranges from 0.2 to 0.5.