Pursuing IR program after MPP program

dealsguyindc

Hi guys,

I really appreciate all the great feedback here and thought I'd post to get some feedback.  I'm currently pursuing an MPP program at the University of Maryland School of Public Policy and hoping to pursue an MA program afterwards at GWU, AU SIS or Georgetown SFS as well as the Pickering Fellowship for Graduate Students.

I didn't have a stellar GPA in undergrad - graduated with 3.2 mostly due to the low grades that I got in the sciences (I pursued pre-pharmacy and switched to political science in my junior year) and working two jobs to support myself.  Once I remove my science grades, I have a 3.7 GPA in my courses in political science and IR.  I also have 5+ years of professional work experience and a few overseas experiences in Thailand and Vietnam and completed a competitive summer fellowship at Princeton's Woodrow Wilson School.  

I was fortunate to be able to waive the GRE for my current grad program but I know I'll have to take the test for the schools I've targeted.  I'm wondering what my chances are for being accepted to these programs with a not-so-stellar GPA, but with an advanced degree, a Princeton fellowship, some work experience, and hopefully several good recommendation letters from professors?

I really appreciate your feedback!

Thanks.

If your work experience is relevant and your GRE scores and GPA in your current program are good, I don't think there's any reason you shouldn't be able to get into some or all of the schools you mentioned.

That said, I'm not sure that another two years for an IR degree would be particularly worthwhile after having done an MPP. This is especially true if your goal is working in the federal gov't, where they seem pretty indifferent about what schools people graduate from and not particularly concerned about MPP vs. IR. (Maryland's own website suggests that grads there have gone on to work in most of the same places that people graduating from Georgetown, GWU, etc. go to.) The Pickering seems to be a great "in" for the foreign service, but it's definitely not going to be any easier than getting hired through the regular FSO exam process. 

Edited by thevillagersid