I feel like I'm not applying to enough schools. Help.

ivmeow

Hi guys!

I am currently an Art History major at a large state school, but with a very well renowned art school. I am currently an intern at the state art commission where I work with artist opportunities and both individual and organization grants. I have fallen in love with arts management/admin and policy and have decided to pursue my masters in the program. My biggest problem is that there simply aren't that many schools that offer this program. You can see below the five schools I'm applying too, but I still feel like this isn't enough especially with college admissions being a crapshoot and nothing is guaranteed.

Just in case my stats are:

Undergrad GPA: 3.7

Major GPA: 4.0

GRE: 312 (Not great at all) 

Letters of Rec: Fairly strong

What do you guys think, for my program do I need more schools? And any advice for which ones to add? 

Thanks a bunch! 

To be frank, I have no idea.  Perhaps you can ask this in the Art or Humanities forums?  My best guess is that it would solely rely on how competitive admissions to something such art administration/management is in the first place.  In biology for example there are simply way more applicants than available spots.  As such there is more of a need to apply to more programs just to increase that chance of only one admit (although there are some applicants who only apply to, say, five programs and get into all five).  

I think that if you are at all insecure about getting in somewhere, more is better (if you can reasonably afford it).

I only really have my heart in four programs, but I applied to four more than that because I'm a neurotic wreck. I contemplated applying to even more but I started to feel poor.

pasteltomato - it makes me giggle that you're going into neuroscience and you're a "neurotic wreck" - :D

Like smg, I had some very limiting factors to consider, which meant that I only had three schools in the end which matched my total needs... so, I'm only applying to three. If there were other schools that matched my criteria, I would definitely be applying, but probably to no more than 6 or so.

Edited by jujubea

Similarly to other people here, I am also only applying to a few programs  - 4 to be exact. I had a couple more initially, but when I asked myself "Would I accept if my only offer was from this school?" I admitted I would probably say no. As a result, I scratched them. It may be more nerve-wracking, but this way you save money and it probably helps some other poor soul who really does want a place in that program. 

Only apply if you truly feel that it's a good fit and you'd actually want to go there if you got in. I applied to six programs in my field and I felt that was quite enough (in terms of both time and money). Don't apply to a lot of schools just to broaden your net if you don't think you'd want to go to those schools anyway, especially if they are of a lower rank than what you'd actually like to attend.

• 1 month later...

I applied to 9 schools. Now that I have gotten to know them a lot better,I have to agree that 4 or 5 more focused apps might have been better.

One of my mentors told me four was the maximum I should apply to; another mentor told me such a limit was ridiculous. I ended up disregarding any input about numbers of programs and just went for the places that were the best fit. This is a bit of a reiteration of the above, but basically, do what you think is right. This is your future!