Hunter - Fall 2015

AstoriaGal

I would stay far, FAR away from this school. Their admissions office is incredibly disorganized, rude, and inconsiderate. They are next to impossible to get in contact with, be it via email or via telephone. If their admissions office is any indicator of their social work program, then it is definitely NOT a good investment. I've been working with this school during the application process for months now and absolutely nothing has changed with them. This is just my opinion which is only based on my personal experiences.

Has anyone been contacted regarding scheduling a skype interview? Although I received the invitation to interview, I had to reply requesting a skype interview, but I still haven't been notified of how to schedule that.

Has anyone else still not heard about an interview? My application was complete on 2/10 and I still haven't heard anything from them. Does this most likely mean a rejection? I was accepted to Columbia and need to mail in the deposit this week. When I contacted the office to explain the situation they just said applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and to keep checking my status. Anyone else in a similar situation?

I would stay far, FAR away from this school. Their admissions office is incredibly disorganized, rude, and inconsiderate. They are next to impossible to get in contact with, be it via email or via telephone. If their admissions office is any indicator of their social work program, then it is definitely NOT a good investment. I've been working with this school during the application process for months now and absolutely nothing has changed with them. This is just my opinion which is only based on my personal experiences.

Is the admin easy to get in touch with during the application process. Absolutely not. Do you get office numbers and phone numbers of people who can assist you when entering the program, absolutely. If you can get past the headache of application I believe you are hands down in one of the best programs in the country. The price of the program also makes it an amazing investment in comparison to comparable programs in the city. There are a couple thousand people who figure out the process every year. If you want it stick with it, I believe the pay off outweighs the headache of dealing with the CUNY system.

Is the admin easy to get in touch with during the application process. Absolutely not. Do you get office numbers and phone numbers of people who can assist you when entering the program, absolutely. If you can get past the headache of application I believe you are hands down in one of the best programs in the country. The price of the program also makes it an amazing investment in comparison to comparable programs in the city. There are a couple thousand people who figure out the process every year. If you want it stick with it, I believe the pay off outweighs the headache of dealing with the CUNY system.

Are you currently in the MSW program at Hunter? 

How is the program in your opinion and what is your field of study in social work?

The program is really solid. Aside from the amazing professors I think where the program really comes alive for me are the students admitted to the program. I am an advanced standing student and everyone in the advanced standing cohort was one of the top students in their undergrad program, and the traditional two year students follow suit as well. The anti oppression lens that a lot of the material gets filtered through will challenge you in ways that other programs won't, and i believe that shift is rooted in the reality of whats going on in the lives of our clients.

In terms of my field of study I am in the clinical practice with individuals families and groups method, with a field of practice specialization in children youth and family. One of the aspects of the program that I really appreciate is that I am still able to take semester long courses that fall outside of traditional clinical practice, but firmly within my own interests. So I was able to take a criminal justice course as well as a community organizing course.

My application status changed to pending interview. Am so excited. hopefully the interview invite will come quick. I know sometimes it will stay like that for weeks before you get the invite.

Has anyone who interviewed a week or two ago heard anything back yet? Or have seen a change in their application status?

Just curious and also freaking out. I interviewed on 4/3, didn't see any changes in a week and then my app changed from "being reviewed" to "pending dean decision" in 2 days... idk what to think at this point. It seems like everyone has a different experience though.

Has anyone who interviewed a week or two ago heard anything back yet? Or have seen a change in their application status?

Just curious and also freaking out. I interviewed on 4/3, didn't see any changes in a week and then my app changed from "being reviewed" to "pending dean decision" in 2 days... idk what to think at this point. It seems like everyone has a different experience though.

i interviewed on 4/2 and my status changed to being reviewed yesterday to pending dean decision today...I am also freaking out! hopefully we will have a deicision by tomorrow..

Are any advance students planning on starting classes this summer?

@mildmannered, I know you were advance standing. Did you take classes in the summer? What are your thoughts?

Edited by justwannagetin

You are very smart, MSWHopeful1000. I graduated from this school but wish I had taken out loans and attended a better school. Sadly, your comments apply to many aspects of this school.

You are very smart, MSWHopeful1000. I graduated from this school but wish I had taken out loans and attended a better school. Sadly, your comments apply to many aspects of this school.

Could you elaborate further please?

I was always a little confused as to people who would have stayed in a program for two years that they hated, with some many other options in the city.