Hunter - Fall 2015

AstoriaGal

Been reading as a lurker for a while, your posts have all been incredibly helpful.

Submitted my application 3/27... was invited to an interview specifically for COP&D major today. Anyone been to a group interview specifically for those applying to this method? Wondering if the types of questions will be much different. 

Been reading as a lurker for a while, your posts have all been incredibly helpful.

Submitted my application 3/27... was invited to an interview specifically for COP&D major today. Anyone been to a group interview specifically for those applying to this method? Wondering if the types of questions will be much different.

I am going into the clinical method but my interviewer said she only interviews people who apply to clinical method snd that 3rd method that i cant recall. She did not asked questions specific to those methods. She stated that she only wants to determine if we are a good fit for the school and that she does not expect us to have knowledge of methods since that is why we are going to grad school for. So just be ready to talk about your experience and to answer why social work. Your interviewer will drill your responses down so dont be intimidated when he/she starts asking questions. Good luck

I interviewed for the COPD major. The interviewer asked about our background, why we want to attend Hunter and why social work. The interview was pretty laid back.

Edited by espressomonster

Don't be surprised if your group includes people applying to different methods. Hunter probably wants to maximize the number of people per group interview -- otherwise the interview process would never end.

I agree with what others have written -- prepare good answers for why social work (as opposed to other helping professions), why Hunter specifically (what sets it apart from other MSW programs), a concise summary of your relevant background, and clinical vignette asked of entire group (questions vary). Finally, 20 minute writing response to article (demonstrate understanding/critical thinking skills/good writing capacity re: social welfare implications of a problem).

Edited by EmiSW

Have you guys been put in the cunyfirst system? I sent my deposit on Tuesday and I received an email that they had received it on Thursday. How long did it take the school to contact you after you got the email that your deposit had been received?

I got the email confirming receipt of deposit on 4/30 and an email saying I was activated as a graduate student (with instructions for CUNYfirst) on 5/5.

Hi I just had my interview at Hunter for the 2 year clinical MSW track. I am a little nervous about how the interview went because most of the other interviewees were applying of the OYR program which requires you to have worked in social services for 2 years at least. The first question was to introduce ourselves and describe our experiences that relate to social work and how that led us to want to get this degree. I felt a little stupid with my answer because she asked what we are currently doing and I am nannying to save up money for school. The OYR people had all of this great experience in social services and had much better answers about social work. The woman also came back at us asking follow up questions on our experiences. The first question took about an hour because there were 8 of us. The next question was what is our social identity and how will that translate to our clients. I got skipped over for this question bc of time so I hope that doesn't hurt me. The third question was a vignette about doing weekly home visits and then one day this person cooks you a meal and sets the table for two. We were not asked what we would do but what would be our thought processes and what would be our concerns in making the decision whether to stay or not. Next we had a writing assignment on an article that talked about hunger and obesity in NYC and how a hunger coalition has made a plan for the next mayor to possibly put into place to race food workers wages, provide school breakfast and basically fix the hunger issues. We had to write one paragraph on the social implications of this article. We had 20 minutes but it took me less than ten. I'm nervous about how I did but I don't think they will compare me to the others because we aren't going for the same program. I'm also thinking bc they're still interviewing in May there might still be open spots. We'll see.

Hi I just had my interview at Hunter for the 2 year clinical MSW track. I am a little nervous about how the interview went because most of the other interviewees were applying of the OYR program which requires you to have worked in social services for 2 years at least. The first question was to introduce ourselves and describe our experiences that relate to social work and how that led us to want to get this degree. I felt a little stupid with my answer because she asked what we are currently doing and I am nannying to save up money for school. The OYR people had all of this great experience in social services and had much better answers about social work. The woman also came back at us asking follow up questions on our experiences. The first question took about an hour because there were 8 of us. The next question was what is our social identity and how will that translate to our clients. I got skipped over for this question bc of time so I hope that doesn't hurt me. The third question was a vignette about doing weekly home visits and then one day this person cooks you a meal and sets the table for two. We were not asked what we would do but what would be our thought processes and what would be our concerns in making the decision whether to stay or not. Next we had a writing assignment on an article that talked about hunger and obesity in NYC and how a hunger coalition has made a plan for the next mayor to possibly put into place to race food workers wages, provide school breakfast and basically fix the hunger issues. We had to write one paragraph on the social implications of this article. We had 20 minutes but it took me less than ten. I'm nervous about how I did but I don't think they will compare me to the others because we aren't going for the same program. I'm also thinking bc they're still interviewing in May there might still be open spots. We'll see.

I got the email confirming receipt of deposit on 4/30 and an email saying I was activated as a graduate student (with instructions for CUNYfirst) on 5/5.

Thanks. I got an email today that i think i should have gotten after i was accepted. I still have not had my cunyfirst account has not been reactivated so i dont know when i am due to register for classes or ask how much financial aid ill get. I have an EFC of 0 so i know ill get the maximum aid but it is taking too much and the longer i wait the less I'll get.

Does anyone know how the Unsubsidized Stanford Loan works? Like how will the school determine how much to give me? I only need 5k a semester so ill need 20k. Will i have to reapply each semester or will they give me the full 20k at once?

Good luck. I don't know why it took so long for that question to be answered by 8 people. We also had 8 people and that same question and we all covered it in about 40 minutes. It took so long because the interviewer was asking us to elaborate and other questions. And if you weren't able to answer a question it should not be counted. Its not your fault time was not kept appropriately. And there are probably a few open spots. There are people who get accepted but they decline so they need to keep interviewing until the spots get fill.

I interviewed yesterday but the status on my application was changed to final decision but I can't figure out how to see the decision?

I interviewed yesterday but the status on my application was changed to final decision but I can't figure out how to see the decision?

If you can't see something underlined at the bottom then its a mistake and it should be changing to under review soon.

just re checked this morning. I got in! after less than 48 hrs after my interview. Not sure what to do now cause I was already set on Columbia but Hunter is great too..

just re checked this morning. I got in! after less than 48 hrs after my interview. Not sure what to do now cause I was already set on Columbia but Hunter is great too..

Since you are going into clinical as opposed to one of the other practices Hunter offers, you should go to Columbia if you can afford it. Its a prestigious and internationally recognized school and if money is not an issue for you then go for it.

I say go to Hunter.... great clinical program for a fraction of the price. Besides, I never understood when people say money is not an issue. Your going to be a Social Worker, money IS an issue. Also, in my not so humble opinion, I have worked alongside Hunter and Columbia alum (which should also indicate that the school name does not determine the job) and Hunter graduates are superb. Not only are they excellent clinicians but they are willing to think outside of the box and challenge systems. I don't mean in a cliché, disingenuous way either AKA acknowledgement is NOT enough. I mean really considering all aspects of a issue, advocating for client rights, and challenging agency policies that are fundamentally oppressive and 100000000000000 years old.  Guess it all depends on your own perspective, interest, and goals. Also, I fully acknowledge that this may have nothing or everything to do with Hunter itself, could just be the fabulous people I have come across.  

Best of luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted! Is anyone having problems enrolling for classes? I submitted the commitment deposit and got an email confirmation, my medical from was received on cunyfirst and I got an email that i'm activated as a graduate student. Cunyfirst is telling me that I don't have access to enrollment, I'm calling everyone and no one knows why, does anyone have an idea why I can't register for classes?

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted! Is anyone having problems enrolling for classes? I submitted the commitment deposit and got an email confirmation, my medical from was received on cunyfirst and I got an email that i'm activated as a graduate student. Cunyfirst is telling me that I don't have access to enrollment, I'm calling everyone and no one knows why, does anyone have an idea why I can't register for classes?

Did you attend orientation? They put in permissions so that you can register for certain classes. When was your registration appointment, maybe it isn't open yet for 1st year students.

Yes I did. I got an email that I was activated as a graduate student on cuny first but when I called I was told that I'm not activated. I know of people who already registered for classes I see the class I want filling up which is pretty frustrating. I am so excited to go to Hunter I know their education will be excellent, the communication between students and administration does get difficult. They seem a bit disorganized but it makes sense considering they're getting ready for the incoming class.

Yes I did. I got an email that I was activated as a graduate student on cuny first but when I called I was told that I'm not activated. I know of people who already registered for classes I see the class I want filling up which is pretty frustrating. I am so excited to go to Hunter I know their education will be excellent, the communication between students and administration does get difficult. They seem a bit disorganized but it makes sense considering they're getting ready for the incoming class.

I sent you a message. You are right that communication can be difficult at first but it does get better, once the semester begins the level of education and of your classmates makes up for the "shortcomings" in administration. There are some people in admin that work really really hard to serve the students. The hardest part is being patient and persistent with the cuny system.