What does "Competency" or 'proficiency" in a second language mean?

Hello, 

I might be a bit late but I'm looking into applying for English/Literature PhD programmes in the US. Almost every programme I read about has the requirement of at least one secondary language - what exactly do the schools mean when they say they want ""competency" or 'proficiency" in a language besides English? On one website, they require "proficiency in two languages or comprehensive command in a single language" - again, not too sure what that means. Can someone translate this to typical people speak please?

I'm planning to learn another language when I get into my programme but I'd like to have a better idea of what's being required of me. Help please. 

Edited by jred

The majority of English PhD programs require proficiency in one or two modern or classical languages for research purposes, i.e. you have to demonstrate through an exam or through coursework that you know at least one or two languages besides English. Proficiency would mean you know your way around it well enough, 'comprehensive command' would likely mean high reading fluency. Being able to read scholarly work and/or literature in a second/third language is the goal. 

It depends on the program, but it is usually possible to meet these requirements with either undergrad courses if they're not too old or doing a semester-long reading language course.  Especially if there isn't a strong reason for your research that you need to know another language fairly well, the language requirements are not too onerous.  

It means being able to understand texts (academic or not) in the language, and perhaps being able to work some sort of translation. But here's the big beautiful caveat: you're allowed to use a dictionary.