Coursework Transfer

Officer05

Is it possible to transfer from MPA to PhD at WWS? Well if not and I have to apply to the PhD in STEP afresh after MPA can I transfer my MPA coursework to PhD because where I work we get a limited study leave while in career ranging from 2 to 4 years, 5 years tops. Do you know anyone who has tranferred credits from MPA to PhD at Princeton?

Edited by Officer05

Hi Officer05, that's a tricky question. I just tweeted WWS admissions to ask them. I believe that if you visit this permalink to my tweet, you should be able to see their response to me (if and when they respond): https://twitter.com/AskKaneisha/status/535897943946330112

Oh.. Thank u @Kaneisha.. I have been a follower of your Art of Applying and you have given some great insights to the admission process.. The MPA in econ and pub pol has a considerable overlap with the coursework portion of PhD STEP cluster at Woody Woo as far as I can gather within the "confines of the internet"..

I think WWS don't upload handbooks or anything of that sort and the contents on their website is somewhat vague. I am currently with the public sector and to move up the ladder it's desirable to have proficiency in both policy analysis and research though it doesn't demand as such.

I wanna get the maximum out of the limited leave i can get. I could take a gap between the MPA and PhD, return back to work and then reapply but going through all those red tape and bureaucracy at home is sometimes near to impossible. The sabbatical is atimes a "take it or leave it... PERIOD" kinda situation.

Edited by Officer05

Hi Officer05, I'm glad to hear you're a part of The Art of Applying community. Yay! As for your sabbatical, I completely get it. My advice is to just go ahead and focus on MPA/MPP programs at about 5-8 schools and let the sabbatical stuff work itself out. Admission to PhD programs is highly competitive, and the doctoral path is a completely different one than the practitioner path. Make sure you want to get a PhD for real FOR REAL before you commit to a program.