Same Adcom will see SOP for two different programs: How unique should each SOP be?

laocoön

Perhaps this is a question better posed in the SOP forum, but I'm applying to earth science stuff, so I guess I'll post here.

I'm applying to a geophysics program that is run jointly by two schools; however, I am also submitting an application individually to one of those schools, because I would still like to be considered for admission there if I don't get in to the joint program.

Now, the last 1/3 of each SOP is tailored to each program, demonstrating fit, my familiarity with the school(s) and faculty, and how I could contribute. That said, the first 2/3 of each SOP goes over my background and motivations and is the same for both programs.

Given that I am applying to each of the programs to research basically the same thing, would it be damaging if I did not rewrite the first portion of my SOP? The committee at the school to which I am applying individually will probably also read the SOP for the joint program, and I am not sure if it would rub them the wrong way if the first part of each SOP was the same (or different, for that matter...). Would it come across as laziness and unoriginality? I don't feel like it's necessary to reinvent the wheel when my research interests are similar for both programs, but I also don't want to look like one of those people who mass produced a generic SOP and slapped on a fit paragraph for a touch of originality. Perhaps it would help if I mentioned in each SOP that I am applying to both programs?

Thanks!

If this is MIT/WHOI

They should be relatively tailored in my opinion. WHOI is an oceanography research institute while MIT's focus is  broader, Earth Atmosphere and Planetary. 

WHOI has a graduate school, but it is not a "school" per say. 

The required  courses will be different at each (i'm fairly sure), and while your POIs there might work for both, there are restrictions on who can be your primary advisor in each. 

@GeoDUDE!

Thanks for your response! It's actually not the MIT/WHOI joint program, but I see your point. That said, because I would be applying to work in the same area of research in both programs (as both programs have specialties in my area of interest), what qualifies and motivates me for each position is pretty much the same. Of course, I modified my SOP to reflect what advisers I would prefer and resources I would have at each program, and how each program would independently prepare me for my career goals. I'm just not certain if having the same intro would throw my chances for both programs.

I don't know any profs with the time to sit on two admissions committees. Other than prospective advisors that you call out by name, I think it is a safer bet that the adcoms are independent and both your SOPs are unlikely to be read by the same person. Even if that turns out not to be the case, I'd say you are doing due diligence by calling out the specifics related to each program in the last third. It is the same school, so I'm not sure how different you can make things without it being a big waste of time--you'd end up with two versions of the same thing, and one would be better so you'd want to use it twice anyway, right?

Edited by Usmivka