Too few schools for BioE/BME PhD applications?

pterosaur

I'm an undergrad currently applying for BioE/BME PhD programs for next fall, and I'm having trouble with my list of schools. After talking with my current PI, I have a list of 3 schools to apply to:

Northeastern

Northwestern

USC

The problem is that there aren't a lot of schools with many people working on the motor learning that I'm interested in. I'm currently at Northeastern, and my PI would like to take me on for grad school if she has the funding, so that's sort of my safety option. But I'm paranoid about applying to 3 schools. I think I'm a strong candidate, though, and all 3 are a good fit. (I also spent 6 months working with a professor from USC and he's writing one of my recommendations, but I don't know if USC's admissions give individual profs much sway in the process).

I'm also applying for a number of fellowships (Fulbright, Whitaker, Rhodes) to do a masters degree in the UK before a PhD. My PI also suggested the possibility of applying to Imperial College London's MRes in bioengineering outside of the fellowships to keep that as an option, but I haven't given that much thought yet.

Any thoughts on this application plan?

• 2 weeks later...

If you have three schools you're applying to, where all are a good fit and all seem like likely acceptances, then three is not a bad number. It's definitely lower than the average, but you should ask yourself if there are really any other programs where you could see yourself. If the answer is no, then you're fine.

You've self-reported that you're a strong candidate, and you're applying for some competitive programs and fellowships. These are all positive signs. Kill it with your 3 apps and you should be set.

I got one of those fellowships: I'm going to the UK for MRes on a Marshall Scholarship next year! So that puts the PhD applications on hold for a year in the meantime.

Thanks for the feedback, though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Totally minorly spamming this topic, but I finished my MSc in September (at University College London) and I have to say it was one of the best choices I could have ever made. You'll love it and Imperial is amazing.

Edited by melissaam