Do I still have a shot with these horrendous GRE scores?

boomerang

Hey there,

So, I recently took the GRE and did absolutely awful. I prepped/studied for about a week and half at about 3 hours a day yet my scores turned out awful and worse than the score range Magoosh had estimated during practice tests. Both my verbal and quantitative scores are below the 50th percentile and did "average" on the analytical writing.

I am simply not a good standardized test taker regardless of the preparation I do; I was in a similar situation with my SAT scores when applying for undergrad. However, my SAT scores were in no way indicative of my success as an undergraduate and I am confident this is the case for the GRE as well.

The entirety of the rest of my application is very strong: my cumulative GPA (3.73) and major GPA (3.84) are sufficiently high, I have done 3 internships at reputable companies throughout my undergrad during summers and the academic years, and I've been doing research on an NSF funded project since its inception (for nearly 3 years), resulting in co-authoring 2 published papers in top conferences in my field, a 3rd co-authored paper under review at another top conference, and an honors thesis that is currently underway. I also did a summer REU at Carnegie Mellon this past summer. My letters of recommendation are expected to be very strong.

I am applying to several top universities (e.g., Carnegie Mellon, University of Washington, University of Michigan) in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) for a PhD program in addition to a couple of other lesser ranked schools. With deadlines quickly approaching, I am left with no time to retake the GREs. On many of the program admissions websites, it is explicitly stated that there is no minimum GRE score and that applications are reviewed as a complete package.

That said, do you think I have a shot at getting into a top graduate school for HCI given my abysmal GRE scores? Appreciate any feedback and/or advice. Thanks!

Thanks for the replies, ZebraFinch and sindyburnburn. I am applying to a few "safety" schools where I think I have a pretty decent shot at getting in regardless of my GRE scores in addition to the top programs in HCI.

We'll see... :)

I prepped/studied for about a week and half at about 3 hours a day yet my scores turned out awful and worse than the score range Magoosh had estimated during practice tests.

We'll there is your problem. You can't wing the GRE with 1.5 weeks of studying. That being said, your stats are GREAT. IF the adcom chooses do so there is a GRE/GPA cutoff, its either one or the other. Your GPA is great and should get you past the initial screening IF the grad programs filter apps like that. Work hard on the SOP in the time remaining.

That being said, your stats are GREAT. IF the adcom chooses do so there is a GRE/GPA cutoff, its either one or the other. Your GPA is great and should get you past the initial screening IF the grad programs filter apps like that. Work hard on the SOP in the time remaining.

Thanks, ilovelab. Yeah, I've been focusing a good chunk of my time on my SOPs... :)

let us know how your apps shake out. I have an equally horrendous quant score and I'm still shooting for the moon. 

Will do grad_wannabe!

I also did very bad on the GRE. I think its a factor of your application. If everything else is strong than they should over look a standardized test. Every school has certain criteria. I think this GRE is a big money maker and has nothing to do with education. It was horrible!! I studied for weeks and did not help at all. That math section was nonsense. I studied math so long ago. I think it is to help decide when they have 3 people with the same background. The GRE score will get funding something like that.  

Indeed, ETS and its associated test centers have a pretty good racket going on with the GRE. It's almost the same as the racket textbook makers run. Still, the GRE does cover fundamental areas for anyone going into graduate studies. It offers admission deciders a quick glance at your abilities, which they can then weigh against the other parts of your application. Of course, they also understand the GRE is timed and you might have had a bad day, and will take that into consideration too.

boomerang, since HCI is usually viewed as an intermingling of Computer Science and Psychology, it is probably the case that HCI programs to put more emphasis on the quantative score, since Psychology and Computer Science both require a firm grasp of quantative concepts. That being said, as others have pointed out, you have extensive experience in performing research in your intended program's area. This will be weighted considerably heavier than your GRE scores, since the admissions committees are looking for research potential. Furthermore, you worked with CMU before, so I am assuming you will have an advocate at that program at least. Write a strong SOP and get some good letters of recommendation and you will improve your chances.

I hope you fare well :)

I have almost the same exact statuses as you and I'm also applying big. I hope by 3.8 GPA and double major will make up for my horrible GRE ( I'm also in the bottom half and in the upper half for writing). I despise standardized tests and think they should be done away with all together because in reality it's all for the $$$$$. 200 $ a test give me a break !! And it's 27 $ to send scores out. if an applicant is strong in every other prospective why should a GRE score even matter ? There are a lot of people on this site and on others that worship the GRE and will tell you you won't get in sorry. Anyway, I chose not to listen to them and I applied anyway and hoped for the best. Good luck to you !

I have almost the same exact statuses as you and I'm also applying big. I hope by 3.8 GPA and double major will make up for my horrible GRE ( I'm also in the bottom half and in the upper half for writing). I despise standardized tests and think they should be done away with all together because in reality it's all for the $$$$$. 200 $ a test give me a break !! And it's 27 $ to send scores out. if an applicant is strong in every other prospective why should a GRE score even matter ? There are a lot of people on this site and on others that worship the GRE and will tell you you won't get in sorry. Anyway, I chose not to listen to them and I applied anyway and hoped for the best. Good luck to you !

Same here. I have a 3.66 undergrad GPA, a 3.95 Master's GPA, two years of research, 95% on the verbal GRE and 98% on the writing.

If my 44% on the quant portion of this single standardized test is what sinks my applications, then so be it. This is not the path for me. 

Luck to us all. Let's all keep each other posted.  

Guest Chiper91

Hey. I have the same situaton. I recently re-took GRE. The first time was horrible. The second time was also horrible but I improved my verbal score a little bit. I score 153 V and 150 Q. AW is still pending but I do not expect anything better than 4.

I studied for GRE three months, almost 2 hours every day. My problem is that English is not my native language and believe or not 80% of the time I just have to guess on the verbal part. I am dissappointed with the Q part though. While I do not want to use the language issue as an excuse, I do not know whaw to do..I learnt so many new words and it did not help me. I bought several books to prepare for the exam and they did not help.

Otherwise, my application is strong, 3.93 Undergrad CPA, 3.99 Major GPA, double major. I have professional and research experience related to my field. LORs shoudl also be very good. SOP is quite ok. I am afraid that my horrible GRE score will kill my chances of going to grad school....

Any advice? Apart from "You should re-take the GRE".

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the same situation.

Verbal 150 Q 141 and AW 4.5

I studied for three months, at least 4 hours a day and that is no exaggeration.

I have 3 publications and 5 yrs research experience managing my own project, hoping that will makeup for the abysmal score. 

I still think you should apply.  I posted this in another thread, but my mentor sits on a neuroscience adcom and said at schools that get less than 100 applications, every application is looked at. A score of 150 in each/either category goes into a consideration pile, 155 and above goes to possible interview pile. Anything lower than 150 goes into "lets take a further look" pile, meaning, they want to see what other accomplishments you have that can help them overlook a bad GRE score. Also "nature" just published an article about what the GRE really tests

http://www.nature.com/naturejobs/science/articles/10.1038/nj7504-303a

take a look at that. 

Good luck! keep us updated!

I also fall into this category, particularly in regards to my q score (152) :/ 

Lab ratta, thanks for posting that Nature paper...I wish more programs took that data into consideration! 

No problem- my boss/mentor actually emailed it to me when I told him I was taking some time off work to study for the GRE. Hopefully the stuff that really matters, that pertains to your intended field of study, is the stuff they really do look at and weigh more heavily

No problem- my boss/mentor actually emailed it to me when I told him I was taking some time off work to study for the GRE. Hopefully the stuff that really matters, that pertains to your intended field of study, is the stuff they really do look at and weigh more heavily

The way I'm choosing to look at it, if a future PI holds the GRE in high regard as a measurement of my "ability" then I don't think I would want them as a PI...

My Pi/mentor did not hold the GRE in high regard, actually when people rotated in our lab they were students who had the most research experience and not a great GRE score. Those same people also ended up publishing in top journals. He believed the people who did not do as well were more creative with problem solving since the GRE requires you to know all these cute quick tricks to answer questions correctly and quickly, rather than taking the time to examine how many different ways there are to solve a problem.

I agree with your comment, I would not want a PI who views the GRE highly over actual research experience.

fingers crossed this application season!

Hey, guys!

Same situation here. I wrote the GRE twice and got the same scores (150V; 140Q; 3AWA). I'm an international student applying for phds in education and despite my scores, I'm still applying to top programs. I was a Fulbright scholar at UPenn for one year, taught Portuguese and attended 3 graduate courses (gpa:3,85). I hold a master in language studies, have a publication and 5 years of experience in research. Apart from that, I also have lots of experience with teaching Portuguese and English. So I decided I deserved a shot. I have LoR from my home country master's advisor and from Upenn.

Anybody else applying for education programs?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still applying with low scores. The only score I take somewhat pride in is my writing score (4). It's too late for a re-take and  can't afford to re-take.

Test anxiety, balancing an exhausting job, taking university classes 5xs a week (10am-4pm, with midterms and finals in-between), and studying for the GRE=near suicide,despite trying.  I'm in my last year of undergrad.

The only 'prestigious' school on my list is Tufts...I have perhaps around three or four 'safe'/'less-prestigious' schools on my list. Then, I have one that is out the country. So, I'm sure I have a'realistic' list of schools that can hopefully see the best in me.

Edited by Guest

• 5 weeks later...

I know this is sort of an old thread, but I wanted to add to the discussion. I am also applying with a low quant gre score, but hope that the rest of my application will off-set that. I have a glowing application, except for my low quant score

I used to think if that is literally the only reason I am not admitted to a program, that is probably not a program I would like to be in. With that being said, I have not heard from any of the programs I applied to, so it isn't looking good. 

I'm worried that my low quant score might seem like a slap in the face to the programs I applied to, especially since my scores are a few years old. I didn't re-take it because studying for it would have taken time away from my research and teaching, although now I am really regretting that decision. If I receive feedback after rejections about my low quant score being the deciding factor, then I will be forced to take the stupid test again. 

P.S. I really enjoyed that nature article, and I hope more adcoms take note!

Your application sounds incredible!  It should speak for itself if admissions has any common sense.  I would say the GRE scores belie your true potential.  If you are really concerned about it, I have to assent with those here that suggest retaking the GRE.  But I would consider that as a last resort unless there is a cap on the number of times you can apply to the schools.

I know this is sort of an old thread, but I wanted to add to the discussion. I am also applying with a low quant gre score, but hope that the rest of my application will off-set that. I have a glowing application, except for my low quant score

I used to think if that is literally the only reason I am not admitted to a program, that is probably not a program I would like to be in. With that being said, I have not heard from any of the programs I applied to, so it isn't looking good. 

I'm worried that my low quant score might seem like a slap in the face to the programs I applied to, especially since my scores are a few years old. I didn't re-take it because studying for it would have taken time away from my research and teaching, although now I am really regretting that decision. If I receive feedback after rejections about my low quant score being the deciding factor, then I will be forced to take the stupid test again. 

P.S. I really enjoyed that nature article, and I hope more adcoms take note!

Same. I'm pleased with the rest of my application besides my GRE on both sections (did above average on the writing). I wouldn't have minded taking the test again..but, I was short on time in regards the application deadlines and am also still in undergrad with multiple of classes to study for. Time was the set-back factor in my case. All we can do is wait now.

Edited by Guest

Now that I am starting to hear back from the programs I applied to, I figured I would give you all an update on where I stand. As far as I can tell, my awful GRE scores have not seemed to be an issue whatsoever; goes to show how much weight they carry, right?  <_<

I applied to 6 programs. I got one really early rejection and got quite disappointed expecting the other schools to have similar results. About a month later, though, I've interviewed with 3 programs, 2 of which went extremely well and the other I could have done better on, but still not bad. I just got admitted to one of the programs I interviewed with this past week and found out I was even nominated for some sort of fellowship (still waiting on the "official admissions letter" to give all the details). I still haven't heard anything from two programs.

That said, my horrendous GRE scores didn't seem to have too much of an impact on me! Hope everything works out for everyone else in a similar situation.