Do I still have a shot with these horrendous GRE scores?

boomerang

Here's another update on my admissions process... I was just accepted into Carnegie Mellon and University of Michigan in addition to the earlier acceptance to University of Minnesota. Still waiting to hear back from Cornell (which should be an admit) and University of Washington!

Here's another update on my admissions process... I was just accepted into Carnegie Mellon and University of Michigan in addition to the earlier acceptance to University of Minnesota. Still waiting to hear back from Cornell (which should be an admit) and University of Washington!

Hi man, you have given me a lot of hope. I have 66% V and 60%Q and 3.5W  :( 

I actually just applied to top programs. I wanted to provide the studies with my own funding and thus I chose high ranked universities since it would be easier to get full external supports from sponsors of my country. I applied to Harvard, Caltech, Johns Hopkins and Columbia. Everything for materials.

Overall I did considerable well in the undergrad. I did a very broad engineering course, which had a very low admission rate. I finished the course in 4 years instead of 5 and was in the top 5% of the class, so I was the first to finish from my cohort. While I was studying I also got 3 diplomas ( one from technical studies that I did for 1 year and 2 normal diplomas for 1 month long courses). I also did an internship at a local research center doing a robot which I used as a thesis project and got a the highest score possible. Later I had a small participation in a energy research group from my University but I didn't get any publication, just assisted with some work and read a lot of papers and summarized the information for them. I also had an entrepreneur project and got a double international certification for it, unfortunately I had to shutdown the company because its members had different plans. Later did a Master in one of the top 4 UK unis with full funding scholarship, got a bit ill during the course so some grades were just ok and the rest were merits or dinstinctions... my thesis got a dinstinction and I am very proud to have results that by far surpassed everything found in the literature. I have got no publications or patents but I am planning to speak with my previous supervisor to get the work published and patented depending on what should we start doing first. My recommendations were by one deputy from my bachelor, one researcher and from the UK the department director and my supersivor, both of these guys are pretty important in the UK. 

I don't have working experience, I had been working since childhood in a familiar business. I am going to be hired at General Electric but my real goal is to get a PhD position. I have a lot of research plans that I would like to try to develop but I don't have money so I depend on universities and sponsors.

I actually regret a lot now that I did not try to resit the GRE but all the money I used to make the applications was lended to me by my brother. I felt very embarassed to ask him for more. I am quite worried that my applications should get just filtered just because of the scores, I have felt that I have done a lot of work to get to where I am. I could probably resit the exam soon but I don't know if I could send any result on time at this point.

So far I have not heard from any program and I did not get reply from most professors I emailed. I am an international so I don't get interviews, I am a really worried and stressed right now. I am really hoping that the project is really holistic and get an acceptance, I don't want to let down all the people who have supported me.