What happens after applications are in?

Chiqui74

I have applied to MA programs before but this is the first time I apply for PhD programs and I'm not sure what happens after I submit the applications.  For example, I see some people go on campus visits, have interviews, etc.  Is this the norm?  If so, does it happen before or after you get accepted to the universities? Before you make a final decision?  Is it funded by the student or the prospective institutions?

Now that half of my applications are in, and the other half are started, I wonder where it goes from here.

Edited by Chiqui74

I have applied to MA programs before but this is the first time I apply for PhD programs and I'm not sure what happens after I submit the applications.  For example, I see some people go on campus visits, have interviews, etc.  Is this the norm?  If so, does it happen before or after you get accepted to the universities? Before you make a final decision?  Is it funded by the student or the prospective institutions?

Now that half of my applications are in, and the other half are started, I wonder where it goes from here.

It depends on field/school/program. But to answer your questions:

1. Interviews usually happens before they make their final decision. The school will probably make a shortlist of candidates and then invite you for interviews. Usually it's paid by the school but sometimes they only offer up to $X for travel or they do Skype/phone interviews. Sometimes, the interviews are an actual weeding process (i.e. they will only accept the top interviewees) but other times, the interviews are just a sanity check to make sure you are who you appear to be on paper (i.e. they will accept everyone they interview unless something goes wrong).

2. Campus visits come in two forms. Sometimes people visit a campus because they happen to be in town. So, this is most helpful to you if you visit before decisions are made. However, I would say it's completely not worth it to go out of your way to visit a campus. But if you just happen to be in town, then (in my field) it would not be abnormal to write to the department and say you will be in town, would they mind if you visit.

The other type of campus visit is an invited visit where the school usually pays for it. This might happen before you get a decision (and may be combined with the interview) or it might happen after you get a decision. I would say that if you haven't received a decision yet and they are flying you out and spending time and money on you for a few days to show you around, it's probably a good sign (i.e. more likely it's a "sanity check" interview than a competitive one). In my field though, almost all visits happen post-acceptance since it would cost about $500-$1000 per student and they would not want to spend that money on students they might reject.

3. Usually everything happens before April 15 / the deadline to make the final decision. I would say that the in-person campus visit is the single most important part of your decision making process!!

It totally depends on your field! For history I am taking a wild guess and saying they do not do interviews, but you should check with the History folks. You can also check out the Results page and type in your concentration + school and see what they have done in the past. As the poster above said, interviews would happen after the application deadline (usually 4-8 weeks after) and before they make final decisions. If you are going to interviews there is obviously no reason to schedule a campus visit. If you do not have interviews, I would wait to see where you get accepted and then maybe visit your top few choices in order to narrow it down. This is not always feasible, I know.

Most schools abide by an April 15 deadline (for funding). That means, they will offer you admission and you have to accept that offer by April 15. I believe (but am not 100% sure) that most Humanities people hear a little later than Sciences/Social Sciences. I am sure that depends somewhat on the program though. It's just a trend I have noticed around here so don't get too worried if people in other fields are hearing back when you haven't yet!

From what I've read, history programs rarely do interviews. When they do, it's usually informal like a Skype interview with your POIs or something. If you go to the history board, under the 2015 applicants thread TMP actually just posted an amazingly detailed timeline of what happens when applications leave our hands :)

It was so worth it for me to go check out the campuses and cities before even applying - mostly because I'm bringing a whole family, but also because I got to really feel the different vibes at each school. And they are REALLY different. But I guess you could do that after you are accepted. I really wanted to make sure I was applying to schools I'd actually, really, definitely want to go to, more than just because of what they look like on paper/online. 

It looks like every school is different though as far as visits, timing in the application and decision making process, and funding for them.

I am currently enrolled in a history Ph.D. program and I can tell you that interviews generally are not conducted in this field. At all of the programs I applied to, the official visit day occurred after offers for admission had been sent out, so all of the people who attended had already been offered admission and were there to get a feel for the program and make up their minds. i haven't heard of any history Ph.D. programs having visit days before students are admitted, although of course one could visit unofficially and take a tour to get a look at the campus.

• 2 weeks later...