GRE Advice

Please tell me if there's a better place to ask for advice about GRE scores and I'll move this to that thread! I don't want to be obnoxious asking such a specific question if there's a thread devoted to GRE scores.

So, I've taken the GRE twice now. The first time I got a 149 on quant and a 167 on verbal. I studied quant like crazy and took the test again today, only to improve my verbal to a 168 while my quant stayed at 149.

Is this low quant score going to disqualify me from applying to top tier schools? Some background: I'm 24, I majored in another subject with an undergraduate GPA of 3.6. I'm currently completing prerequisites at UW-Madison's Capstone program and I should be getting all A's and AB's this semester. I work in one of my professor's research labs on campus and have experience babysitting children with speech disorders. I have no other relevant experience, though.

So, should I take the test again or is my overall application competitive enough? 

Again, sorry if this is too specific and THANK YOU for all the help--I'm so stressed!

There is a better place to ask about GRE scores. In the Applications thread, there's a subthread (I don't know the terminology) called GRE/GMAT or something close to that.

Is 149 over 50th percentile? Your verbal ROCKS, congrats on that.

Thanks! Yeah I thought about posting in the general thread but I was hoping to get responses specifically from SLP people. 149 is sadly way lower--I think it's the 37th percentile. I was aiming for 50th but (obviously) fell very short!

That verbal score is really awesome! The quant score is pretty rough....honestly, I would take the GRE again. A score below the 50th percentile is going to hurt you pretty bad. The verbal score is rockin', though, and that might help. Good luck!

If you can afford it, I would definitely recommend taking a prep course with Kaplan. They are awesome! When I first took a full length practice GRE I scored 142 on the quant, and after studying with Kaplan I scored a 154 (56th percentile). It's still not a great score, but it's definitely better than where I was at. I took an online program with them. 

Edited by kara.spinney

I wouldn't say it would disqualify you - I've only come across one school that actually had a GRE score cutoff. Have you searched the schools you're interested in on EdFind and seen their average GRE scores? I would also recommend contacting the schools directly. Even if your math is low for a specific program, they may say your high verbal score will offset that. You can also look into programs that do not require the GRE.

My quantitative score was 148 and I got into all programs I applied to, three of which were in the top 25 ranked SLP programs. Experience in the field or related field, good recs and a strong personal statement can help overcome your quantitative score. Also, your high verbal score should offset it as well. The programs I applied to seemed to put more emphasis on the combined score, so check with the programs you're applying to to see if they really will care about your quantitative score given your high verbal (and high combined) score. If I were you, I would put your time and energy  onto crafting a strong personal statement. Good luck!

I agree with some on this post.  you DO NOT need to take the GRE again.  In our field programs are more concerned with VERBAL than Quantitative scores and your VERBAL is GREAT!  Your Quant is not all that bad either.  Like others have said, your combined is 316 and most schools want above 300 so your more than fine.  

Hey everybody! SO appreciate the responses. Every single one made my anxiety go down a bit. 

Dial1010usa, my undergrad GPA (in an unrelated field) is a bit low at 3.6, but I should have all A's (give or take an AB) in my post-bac program this semester. I'm currently working in one of my professor's labs, and I have babysitting experience working with kids with speech disorders. 

I think I'll wait to see what my AW score is and go from there. Any other advice is welcome!

So glad I found this post. My GRE scores currently stand at 148 Quant and 161 Verbal and I'm retaking it today to try and improve a bit! I'm only applying to schools in Middle TN, which limits me quite a bit. Hoping a strong personal statement and good grades in my leveling courses will overcome!

Edited by oschmivia

I recently took the GRE and received a 150V and 145Q. I am not sure if I should take them again. I am not good at standardized tests so the chances of doing better are not very high since I would have to take them again in a month and I am super busy with school and applications. My GPA is 3.89. I am applying to Temple, La Salle, Touro, Kean, William Patterson, and Seton Hall. And if I should take them again, what is the latest possible date I can take them for Jan 15 and Feb 1st deadlines? Please help  :unsure: I need to figure this out ASAP. 

Edited by gdanzig