Low GRE - Doomed for top programs?

Hina

Hi Everyone! 

I'm applying for IR programs for Fall 2015 and desperately need some advice. I took my GRE today and bombed it. I was scoring around V-160 and Q-159 on my practice tests, but I think my nerves got the best of me and I somehow walked out of the test with a V-150 and Q-151 (whaa!?). I'm planning on retaking it in a few weeks but am wondering if anyone has insight on applying to top programs with a low GRE score? 

Here's some info on my background:

Undergrad Major: Government, minor in Business

Cumulative GPA: 3.52 (business GPA was 4.0)

Work experience:

-1 year working as the Program Manager for an education NGO in Thailand

-2 years working for a microfinance organization in rural Bangladesh doing research and initiating a new women's development program

-Currently working as the Program Manager at a governmental agency that does social economic development in low income areas. I've initiated a microfinance program at this current organization, as well as several other programs. Been with this agency for over a year. 

Career goals: I'm planning on focusing on international development in grad school, and would eventually like to start a development agency in South Asia (not sure exactly what yet, but probably in the microfinance arena).

I have very strong letters of recommendations from the former dean of the public policy school at my undergraduate institution, and a professor I worked closely with. 

If during my next GRE I'm unable to make a high score, should I forget about applying to the top programs? Currently my list consists of Georgetown SFS, GW Elliot, SIPA, SAIS, and Yale Jackson. I'm also applying to a few MA/MBA dual degree programs, since my career focus is microfinance. 

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated! :)

If you were scoring around a 160 on your practice tests, I would definitely take the test again. You know that you can score much higher than how you performed today, and I'd say that nerves may have played a role. ETS allows you to choose your best set of scores to send to schools, so it really couldn't hurt to take the test again. Good luck!

The rest of your application is solid, but your overall of 3.52 GPA could also work against you a bit. Get your GRE scores up and you should be golden. :) You sound like a very good candidate for these schools. (PS - SAIS has a great joint MA/MBA program with INSEAD that offers you the chance to live in Singapore, which could be a plus if you're looking to work in South Asia. Added benefit is that you get to live in DC, Bologna and Paris, as well, if you want!)

Thanks for your feedback, everyone! I'm planning on taking the GRE again in a couple weeks, but am worried I might get nervous and bomb it again! :/ Fingers crossed I guess! 

The rest of your application is solid, but your overall of 3.52 GPA could also work against you a bit. Get your GRE scores up and you should be golden. :) You sound like a very good candidate for these schools. (PS - SAIS has a great joint MA/MBA program with INSEAD that offers you the chance to live in Singapore, which could be a plus if you're looking to work in South Asia. Added benefit is that you get to live in DC, Bologna and Paris, as well, if you want!)

Isaiki, I'm actually applying to the SAIS/INSEAD dual degree program! I can't decide if I want to do INSEAD France or Singapore though. Are you applying for that program as well? 

Isaiki, I'm actually applying to the SAIS/INSEAD dual degree program! I can't decide if I want to do INSEAD France or Singapore though. Are you applying for that program as well? 

Hi Hina,

I'm actually not in the program but I have two good friends who are in the program who are with me right now in Bologna. I just spoke to one of them and he gave me the following break down: the Joint MA/MBA degree with SAIS and INSEAD takes two and half years to complete, and you can start with either program. He recommends to start with SAIS, which takes a year and a half, and then starting INSEAD in the January intake. INSEAD has 5 terms, which last 2 months each. The first two terms can be spent in either location (France or Singapore), but the last 3 terms should be spent in the region you want to be employed in. So if you want to work in Asia, make sure you're there starting the third term, called P3, because that's when all the job recruiters start recruiting. There is also a two month window after P3 where you do a short internship.

Hope this helps!