Urgent - Which sample to send?

whiteunicorn

Hi lovely gradcafe community,

I'm currently in the second year of my Masters program and have not finished my thesis yet, which will be an expansion from a paper I wrote about a year ago. My thesis topic is very relevant to the PhD project I want to pursue. The problem is that I have been doing a lot of research about the topic in the past year and the older paper seems very outdated now, but I don't have time to make major changes at this point because that is what I'm doing for my thesis. Should I revise and submit the older one anyways because the topic is the most relevant?

I also have two other papers in the same discipline that are more complete, but their topics are not as relevant to the PhD project.

What is your suggestion? Thanks!

When are your applications due? Even if the paper is outdated, can't you polish it and incorporate some of your new research? In what ways is it outdated, as in does it feel outdated to you simply because you've done more research and have found other interesting things to write about, or because your original research does not seem sound/relevant/strong anymore? Do you think it's a well-written and researched paper? My gut tells me the paper you wrote a year ago is your best bet--it's complete, it's related to your thesis and research goals, and I think that a week (if your apps are due Dec 1st) should be enough time to polish it up and bolster it with some of your new research material.

Either way, if Media/Communications programs are like history ones, you should choose whatever paper shows extensive primary source research and analytical writing.

Good luck :)

When are your applications due? Even if the paper is outdated, can't you polish it and incorporate some of your new research? In what ways is it outdated, as in does it feel outdated to you simply because you've done more research and have found other interesting things to write about, or because your original research does not seem sound/relevant/strong anymore? Do you think it's a well-written and researched paper? My gut tells me the paper you wrote a year ago is your best bet--it's complete, it's related to your thesis and research goals, and I think that a week (if your apps are due Dec 1st) should be enough time to polish it up and bolster it with some of your new research material.

Either way, if Media/Communications programs are like history ones, you should choose whatever paper shows extensive primary source research and analytical writing.

Good luck :)

Hi ashiepoo72,

Thanks for the response. Yes, the first ones are due on Dec. 1st. I'm feeling a little uncomfortable about the older paper because part of my methodology seems problematic if I incorporate my new findings, which will also weaken my older argument. But I guess that's very common for any research process. Maybe I can explain a little in my SOP, which also shows my scholar potential?

Good luck to you too!