Which GRE score to send?

phdreally

Applying for CS PhD

GRE First attempt - Q=170, V=160, AWA=3.5. Realized AWA %ile is below 50, decided to retake.

Second attempt - Q=168, V=159, AWA=4.5

Is avoiding the low 3.5 AWA more important than showing off a perfect 170 in quant? Which score should I be sending? I'm applying to Stanford, UCB, MIT (no gre needed), Harvard (can cross register at MIT), Caltech, UCI, UCSD.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated!

Email your schools and ask how much much they care about the AWA score. I don't know about CS programs but the GRE isn't a huge factor in some departments. I think they would care more about your Quant score than the essay. That being said 168 and 170 aren't that far apart. You could send both if you want.

Send the second score. You don't want any part of your GRE scores to be less than 50th percentile. And 170 on quant is cool, but 168 is too -- still 95th percentile. What you sacrifice in terms of Q and V is minimal in exchange for an 80th percentile AW score.