Quick question about sending GRE Subject test scores

Hi all,

Is it okay to send Subject scores in alongside my General scores to schools that "don't require" them if I want to? Has anyone been advised against it, or received negative feedback for doing so?

I've done a routine search but found posts only from back around 2011, and I know attitudes toward the English Lit subject test have been changing (understandably toward "superfluous"), so I wanted to ask again.

Most of the programs to which I'm applying say the Subject test is recommended/optional, but a few say it's not required. I've checked, and thankfully none specifically say "don't send it in!" (like U of Chicago happens to do). 

I've actually sent most of my scores already, checking both General and Subject boxes without thinking too much about it (doesn't cost extra!). And getting attacks of paranoia in hindsight. My scores are on the good side (90+ percentile) so I'm not worried about the score itself reflecting negatively on my application, but what if it's TMI and annoys the heck out of admissions?

Thanks in advance, and hope everyone is doing okay at this stressful, last-minute hour...

I wouldn't get paranoid about it. Good scores are good scores, and unless (like Chicago) an institution specifically states that they don't want subject scores, the worst that's going to happen is that they won't be a factor either way.

A good rule of thumb is to check with the DGS of a program first, however.