Hi guys,

Could anyone kindly review the SOP I have written. I will be grateful. Thank you.

Regards

In my bachelors I encountered the decision to choose among the majors in engineering. After a rigorous research, word of mouth, and meeting a few professionals; I was confident to pursue mechanical engineering. The vastness of the field in nearly every area of application and research, greatly affected my decision. Mechanical engineering has that unique blend of theory, practical, and applications in every research area. I was elated to graduate with bachelors of mechanical engineering degree in my hand.

The initial phases of the degree helped me acquire the basic knowledge of the field. The basics of mathematics, physics, engineering drawings, and computer programming were followed by the defining fields of mechanical engineering, fluid mechanics, engineering statics and dynamics, thermodynamics, and energy. Each field I must say had an intensive scope for research. I learned the engineering design process – how design ideas originate from defined problems, and how mechanical engineers tackle them by designing and manufacturing new products. My limited knowledge of the world was continuous replenished by new ideas and processes. During my study I had an urge to apply the theory I had learned, to pursue practical problems and application based on the theoretical knowledge. I would spend hours in the university library, going through books to gain knowledge and understanding of fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and heat transfer. I was self-motivated to study aerodynamics: I spend time reading the basics from Fundamentals of Aerodynamics by John Anderson; coordination with the team involved in building the radio-controlled model plane. My degree helped me acquire skills in the leading software tools of mechanical engineering; worth mentioning are C++ – for basics of computer programming, Autodesk Inventor and pro-engineer (presently Creo) – for3D modeling, engineering design and mechanism design, RETScreen – used in Energy Resources course and energy management, ANSYS – a prerequisite for the course of Finite Element Methods. I was fascinated by computer aided analysis and design; and worked in this field during my final year project. Furthermore, I implemented my knowledge of engineering modeling, design, and analysis on my case study of the structural analysis of Type I compressed natural gas cylinder. I was introduced to ANSYS during my course of Finite Element Methods. It truly proves to be a software tool equipped to solve complex engineering problems. I performed structural analysis, predicting the areas of design concern and improving them.

In 2010, after graduating, I had the honor of acquiring fellowship for my masters in mechanical engineering. I was introduced to even more involving field of research namely computational fluid dynamics, gas dynamics, and compressible flows. The degree was more focused on mechanical engineering applications to nuclear power generation industry – I enjoyed this blend of fields. However, my focus was in the field of computational fluid dynamics. I was able to learn Python programming focused in the field of CFD. In my final year project, I acquired the skills of ANSY CFX and implemented them in fluid structure interaction of rigid bodies free-falling in fluid. This project had its implications in estimation of interaction and drop time of fuel bundle in nuclear power plant during scram condition. This project introduced me to the practical problems and implications of computational fluid dynamics. I was fascinated by the diverse applications of CFD in field of energy, solid fluid interaction, heat transfer, and practically any device involving fluid. I plan to pursue this field in my future research and continue to appreciate its applications.

Presently, I am in the start of my career, working for two year in an R and D organization. I am able to implement my knowledge in the field of Mechanical Design. It is an honor to work for the first operational TOKAMAK in XXXX. I worked with the team to develop XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX- it's the only one of its kind in the World. This experience has helped me develop my understanding of Plasma and nuclear FUSION for peaceful purposes. In Future, I plan to work in the field of Magneto Hydro Dynamics MHD, which requires specialization in the field of computational science and engineering.

The team-oriented projects provided me the skills necessary to achieve goals. I also had the opportunity to work in mechanical group and provide design, planning, procurement, and manufacturing services. This experience has exposed me to the real world of mechanical engineers – how to implement engineering knowledge, ideas, and judgment into products.

I believe the multidisciplinary field of computational science and engineering provides the opportunity to use high performance computing to solve real world problems. I would opt to specialize in the field of computational fluid dynamics at ABC.

ABC Centre for Computational Science and Engineering has unique research and scientific computing facilities. Working there, in closed collaboration with experts will be an experience of a lifetime. The faculty at ABC has an impressive research profile. Moreover, I would prefer DEF for the core courses offered. DEF has a research-conducive environment for teaching computational science and engineering. Conclusively, the skills that I acquire from this program will help me establish a research career in this field. I hope to hear from you. Thank you.

Regards

xyz

22-11-2014.

Edited by hamed_majeed@hotmail.com