CGS-M 2015-2016

nuih

Not to be a buzz kill but you can be an alternate for MONTHS. However, if you made it on the alternate list, there's a high chance you got OGS. I was an alternate last year for NSERC but ended up getting OGS. Not sure how it works if you're not studying in Ontario

Now I got an email saying I will be offered it at the school I was an alternate for... is he just misinformed or did somebody decline theirs already?!

Not the same group as you, but I immediately accepted one offer/declined the other at about 12:15 in the morning. I already had decided where I would go based on the different possibilities with SSHRC, so I didn't have to think about it. It's probable that others had the same immediate reaction, especially if (as some other posters have noted) they didn't actually apply to the schools they sent CGS apps to. Congrats, YOU GOT THE MONEY (and the pride)! 

Now I'm off to finally send break up emails to the grad admins I've been begging for more time to decide for the past month and a half. 

Congrats everybody! Don't lose hope if you're an alternate: remember there are only 2500 of these spread over a country with (by my semi-educated guess) over 100000 Masters students, the fact that we're among this group is an amazing accomplishment. 

Heard from all programs now. One offer, one alternate that already became an offer, and another alternate. The third surprised me, as that department repeatedly assured me it was a near-guarantee, but I guess they don't get to decide, so they probably shouldn't have said this. Still, that one's a bit disappointing.

Does anyone know how you receive this money if you are awarded it? I accepted for September so will I receive a cheque? Does it happen in installments?

Good luck to everyone on the alternate lists!!

Does anyone know how one might find out the ranking if you're on the waitlist? 

Email the department through which you applied! I did this morning and found out where I sit on the overall wait list. What I think would be especially valuable is a breakdown of your evaluation/scorecard but I haven't heard back yet on how/whether they will make this available.

Does anyone know how you receive this money if you are awarded it? I accepted for September so will I receive a cheque? Does it happen in installments?

Good luck to everyone on the alternate lists!!

It's administered through your institution and follows your institutional pay schedule (I am due to receive my last three MA payments this month). At Concordia, I get it with my TA/RA paycheck every two weeks, but if I were to hold it at York, where I'm headed, for example, it would be paid out to me in monthly instalments on the 25th of each month. So you'll have to check with the specifics of how people are paid at your uni. :)

Congratulations to everyone who has received an award! I know the feeling and you should be proud - and to the alternates, don't be discouraged! I'm sure that a lot of people will be rejecting offers as we've seen in this thread and good things will come your way!

Edited by happy little pill

Not to be a buzz kill but you can be an alternate for MONTHS. However, if you made it on the alternate list, there's a high chance you got OGS. I was an alternate last year for NSERC but ended up getting OGS. Not sure how it works if you're not studying in Ontario

That's very true! I'm an alternate for CGS but I just found out today that I got an OGF (Ontario Graduate Fellowship) so there actually is hope for alternates in Ontario.

Email the department through which you applied! I did this morning and found out where I sit on the overall wait list. What I think would be especially valuable is a breakdown of your evaluation/scorecard but I haven't heard back yet on how/whether they will make this available.

I did! And they declined to tell me. :( 

Did they tell you how many people are on the waitlist at your university? As a percentage of number of awards given out? 

I assume no one has heard from SHHRC CGS M at UBC? I'm suprised they would not announce on the first day to remain competitive with other offers.

I did. I'm an alternate. I already declined their offer of acceptance though. 

I assume no one has heard from SHHRC CGS M at UBC? I'm suprised they would not announce on the first day to remain competitive with other offers.

I received an offer and declined.

Regarding UBC SSHRC - My friend received an offer for them (she will be declining to go to a different institution)

Edited by ParisGeller

I received an offer from UBC and one from Queen's (alternate for Toronto). I'm going to reject at least one of those though so at least one Queen's or UBC CGS will open up

I'm suprised to hear of these UBC decisions. I'm still listed as "Received by Administrator." I did hear from 3 other schools.

Edited by matt79156

I am currently a first year master's student and received the CGS-M this year. Does anyone know what will happen If I accept for September 2015 and I graduate in June 2016? Will I still get the full amount even though it is not a full year?

Thank you

I am currently a first year master's student and received the CGS-M this year. Does anyone know what will happen If I accept for September 2015 and I graduate in June 2016? Will I still get the full amount even though it is not a full year?

Thank you

I asked my advisor the same question as I am in the same situation. You will only receive 2/3 of SSHRC funding if you graduate in June. If your university allows it, you will have to graduate in November 2016 in order to receive the full award. I'm assuming you currently hold some other award which prevents you from starting the award in May 2015.

Edited by nakuu

I asked my advisor the same question as I am in the same situation. You will only receive 2/3 of SSHRC funding if you graduate in June. If your university allows it, you will have to graduate in November 2016 in order to receive the full award. I'm assuming you currently hold some other award which prevents you from starting the award in May 2015.

Thank you!

As a heads up to Alternates - my department was asked about the wait list (last year and again today) and they responded that they were not given that information. According to them, the only info they have is how many students applied and who was awarded. From this they can then deduce the rest but are unable to make a distinction between alternates and rejections:  

Concordia Soci/Anth department 

11 students applied

5 awarded. 

As a heads up to Alternates - my department was asked about the wait list (last year and again today) and they responded that they were not given that information. According to them, the only info they have is how many students applied and who was awarded. From this they can then deduce the rest but are unable to make a distinction between alternates and rejections:  

Concordia Soci/Anth department 

11 students applied

5 awarded. 

Thanks for the info. 

I think this might vary a lot from school to school, then. Conceivably the high ranked schools will have much fewer people rejecting their NSERC offer, unless they're going for even higher ranked schools (eg in the US). 

Darn. 

Got an alternate at UofC for my CGSM CIHR app. Happy its not an outright rejection but it could've been a better outcome. Luckily I have an Alberta graduate scholarship offer in case this doesn't work out.

Good luck to everyone on the alternate list, pray for some declines so the money trickles down to us. 

Also pleased about finding grad cafe and this thread in particular, it's reassuring knowing whats happening with other graduate students just because of the certain dissonance that exists with these kinds of things. 

Edited by grad_stud