CGS-M 2015-2016

nuih

Hi everyone,

I hope there isn't a thread on this already... sorry if I did miss it >.o. Anyone else applying to CGS-M?

I'm going to keep proofreading until the deadline. My topic is under CIHR, which makes me worried that my chances are even lower because the allocation of CIHR is supeeeer low in comparison to NSERC and SSHRC ; _ ; ... but since it's the only thing that I can think of, I'm just gonna hope for the best.

I am so glad you started this thread! I am applying too, to SSHRC in my case, as a first-year MA student in a two-year program. I was wondering if anybody here would be up to reading the proposal, giving feedback, and the like.

Good luck qeta!! I hope you can find someone to give you feedback. I'd offer to, but I'm not even in yet so I don't know how helpful I would be.

Good luck to you too, on this and all other applications this cycle! I sent you a PM.

I am so glad you started this thread! I am applying too, to SSHRC in my case, as a first-year MA student in a two-year program. I was wondering if anybody here would be up to reading the proposal, giving feedback, and the like.

Hey, you should get your supervisor to read it- he/she will provide the most helpful feedback

I know that you need at least an A- in your last 20 half credits... but does anyone know what your CGPA and GPA of last 20 half credits has to be to be considered competitive? 

The average GPA of your last 20 courses needs to be an A-.. whatever that numerical GPA value is depends on your school

Do any of you have any advice/templates for writing this? I know what my idea is but I can't figure out how I'm supposed to fit it all on one page.

The first paragraph should be a really short lit review & its significance to your your proposed research (i.e. why are you researching what you state/your objectives)

The middle paragraph should be your methods & hypotheses

The last paragraph should be the significance of your proposed work to Canada (if applicable) and/or to the field itself

Good luck! :)

I know that you need at least an A- in your last 20 half credits... but does anyone know what your CGPA and GPA of last 20 half credits has to be to be considered competitive? 

What jasminetea said, but I was also told by my undergrad thesis supervisors that people with A- rarely win CGS-M ... possible, but rare (or at least in my field). So to be truly competitive, you should have an A at least. But I also went to this SSHRC workshop a few months ago and the faculty member leading it was very encouraging, in that the chance of winning with an A- is just as likely with an A+. But she also said we shouldn't have to work on the proposal for more than one night/2 hours specifically ...  :wacko: wish I was as ingenious as her haha. She was in arts and contemporary, so maybe dependent on what field you are in as well?

Anyway, even if you're not competitive, you should definitely do one anyways because it'll make your application look better, and the experience will be worthwhile for future funding proposals!! ... I'm echoing what my supervisors said to me.

Do any of you have any advice/templates for writing this? I know what my idea is but I can't figure out how I'm supposed to fit it all on one page.

Don't use jargon -- if you introduce a term specific to your field, be sure to define it. Make sure every sentence means something and builds on the other. No fluff. Make it sound as exciting and important as possible, from beginning to end so that it doesn't bore the reader. Only use citations that are important - quality over quantity for citations!

Good luck everyone!! 

3 more days!

What jasminetea said, but I was also told by my undergrad thesis supervisors that people with A- rarely win CGS-M ... possible, but rare (or at least in my field). So to be truly competitive, you should have an A at least. But I also went to this SSHRC workshop a few months ago and the faculty member leading it was very encouraging, in that the chance of winning with an A- is just as likely with an A+. But she also said we shouldn't have to work on the proposal for more than one night/2 hours specifically ...  :wacko: wish I was as ingenious as her haha. She was in arts and contemporary, so maybe dependent on what field you are in as well?

If I heard someone say this I would disregard everything she had said about the scholarship. What an absolute garbage statement. 

If I heard someone say this I would disregard everything she had said about the scholarship. What an absolute garbage statement. 

Exactly, that's why I'm doubtful that A- and A+ are weighed the same.

Anyone reading this and feel worried about gpa of last 20 credits: apply anyways because you're not going to lose anything from trying... 

Good luck everyone!  2 more days, not counting dec 1st. Hope all your references come in soon ><

Is it unheard of for a supervisor/reference to miss a deadline to submit the letter...? I feel like I am going to be in this situation soon..

I got a reminder e-mail from NSERC to submit my application (which I did, after my last reference came in). It said "Past experience has shown that many applications not submitted in time were lacking the required reference reports. If your application is still missing the required reports we urge you to take steps to ensure that they are linked to your application well in advance of the deadline. We will not accept late applications."

So no, it is not unheard of, but you'd better prod your reference to get that letter in.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, a university told me they "supported" my SSHRC Masters application; I'm not sure what this means. Did they recommend me to SSHRC? Or is "supported" just grad-speak for having acknowledged receipt? I'm an undergrad (final semester) and it's my first application so please pardon my ignorance.  :-P