CGS-M 2015-2016

nuih

Hi everyone, a university told me they "supported" my SSHRC Masters application; I'm not sure what this means. Did they recommend me to SSHRC? Or is "supported" just grad-speak for having acknowledged receipt? I'm an undergrad (final semester) and it's my first application so please pardon my ignorance.  :-P

I got a similar thing from UBC regarding my application. I haven't heard from the other schools, so I'm wondering if I have more of a shot there or if they just have a different process that includes more communication.

Does anyone know what happens if you accept an offer early under a deadline BEFORE SSHRC is announced and then have it offered somewhere else? I know it is probably frowned upon, but I am stuggling with a mid-February decision when the CGS-M is something so big and not decided until April 1st...

Does anyone know what happens if you accept an offer early under a deadline BEFORE SSHRC is announced and then have it offered somewhere else? I know it is probably frowned upon, but I am stuggling with a mid-February decision when the CGS-M is something so big and not decided until April 1st...

Well, the number one rule of grad school is to not count on anything, right? So don't count on getting SSHRC, don't count on other acceptances, and make decisions as though the information you have right now is the only information you're going to have (unless of course you can count on having more information before you hit your deadline to make decisions). Things can mostly be changed later- if you accept the spot in the program you've been offered (congrats!!!!!) and then other school decisions or SSHRC offers change things, then you get in touch with the school and thank them very much for the opportunity, but you actually can't take the spot. You may lose some of your deposit, but you can pull out of a program. Just don't move forward with student loan applications or anything that would involve someone giving you money until you're sure, because even if you don't spend any of it, it's a pain to pay back.

Last year I was offered CGS-M at both schools I applied to. I didn't get into one and was waitlisted at the other. I ended up accepting the CGS offer at the school where I was waitlisted because I didn't want to get accepted off the wait list mid-August, for example, and have given up all my funding. Then I was not accepted off the wait list and was able to withdraw my CGS acceptance. All this stuff is administratively a pain, but really the only thing that's irreversible is turning offers down.

Edited by lightning1129

I got a similar thing from UBC regarding my application. I haven't heard from the other schools, so I'm wondering if I have more of a shot there or if they just have a different process that includes more communication.

Lore, I was wondering if your email was from the graduate program you applied to or from Graduate and Postdoctoral studies at UBC?

• 1 month later...

Okay so I just got this email:

Funding Opportunity: Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master’s Program

La version française suit.

This is an automated email message. Please do not reply.

The status of your application has changed. As of April 1, consult the Application Overview page in the Research Portal to view the results.

Which is essentially saying.... we decided whether you got it or not but YOU DON'T GET TO KNOW UNTIL NEXT WEDNESDAY HAHA

That being said, I did go check, since I applied at both York and U of T, and my York has changed from SSHRC to CIHR (which is kind of upsetting, since that project has kind of evolved to be more social science-y and less health-y) and that's the one that says it has been updated today and there is the little yellow box above it that talks about reading the terms and conditions before accepting an offer and that I have 21 days to accept or decline it, so I suspect that means I got it for York (while I have been accepted to U of T and am still waiting on York to likely be rejected). 

Did anyone else have anything change today? April 1 is sooooooooon!

Edited by lightning1129

I got two of those emails today. First update was about my YorkU's CGS-M application, it has been updated to "ineligible" because I withdrew my app, and 2nd update I guess was about that "important" update re: the 21 day thing... I hope it means I got it for UofT too, omg. Good luck guys.

edit: btw I applied under CIHR

Edited by nuih

My friends and I have all gotten emails saying our status has changed at many different schools. I've gotten 3 emails so far saying my stats was updated... for 3 different schools. I seriously doubt that means we have recieved the award at all these places. I'm pretty sure it is just the committee made a decision either way. There are only so many CGS to go around, and by how many people I know who have recieved emails I do not think you can interpret it either way.

My friends and I have all gotten emails saying our status has changed at many different schools. I've gotten 3 emails so far saying my stats was updated... for 3 different schools. I seriously doubt that means we have recieved the award at all these places. I'm pretty sure it is just the committee made a decision either way. There are only so many CGS to go around, and by how many people I know who have recieved emails I do not think you can interpret it either way.

lightning1129 and I are talking about this little update box btw, haha. But yeah for sure, this probably doesn't mean anything. Still though, it doesn't hurt to be hopeful  :lol:

I'm SSHRC and I haven't got any of these. (Though I really just care about U of T...)

Ugh. Good luck everyone <3

Lore, I was wondering if your email was from the graduate program you applied to or from Graduate and Postdoctoral studies at UBC?

It was the program itself. I think they were just trying to recruit me by saying that I had a shot at it. (I declined them already though.)

I'm SSHRC and I haven't got any of these. (Though I really just care about U of T...)

Ugh. Good luck everyone <3

Good luck lore ><

I've started getting emails that my status has been updated for NSERC. Two have been declared ineligible, as I ended up not applying there, while the third just says the status was updated. I assume that to be a rejection or perhaps something about ineligibility as well, as I declined my acceptance at that program about two months ago.

Chiming in here as well, 

I'm a SSHRC applicant, I have gotten five emails in the past week or so (last one came in this morning) which I assume means all of my results are in. Only one school has updated (Dalhousie - ineligible first class average). Carleton told me over a month ago that I was ineligible for the same reason (my 2nd year average came out to a 79.4 when converted to their GPA scale: ugh) but still simply says "Received by administrator" as always. These last few hours are the worst of this whole process. 

Anybody else checking at 12:01 am? I feel like if all the results are in there's no reason I should need to wait until tomorrow's business hours... but who knows. 

best of luck everybody :)

Chiming in here as well, 

I'm a SSHRC applicant, I have gotten five emails in the past week or so (last one came in this morning) which I assume means all of my results are in. Only one school has updated (Dalhousie - ineligible first class average). Carleton told me over a month ago that I was ineligible for the same reason (my 2nd year average came out to a 79.4 when converted to their GPA scale: ugh) but still simply says "Received by administrator" as always. These last few hours are the worst of this whole process. 

Anybody else checking at 12:01 am? I feel like if all the results are in there's no reason I should need to wait until tomorrow's business hours... but who knows. 

best of luck everybody :)

Good point.

I'll check at 12:01 am haha :)

Not necessarily? It probably depends on which schools you have applied to and how they do decisions. Last year I didnt receive anything until around noon on April first and I had been offered it at both schools I applied to (I just didn't get admission for either school, hence reapplying this year). This year, my status for york was changed late last week and my status for u of t changed today, though I won't be able to see it until tomorrow (hopefully midnight!). So it probably just depends on the school, since no matter what the decision is, your status will change.

I haven't received a single email about my status being updated.

I'll assume that's a bad thing?

I don't think you can conclude anything from it. I've only had my status updated at the schools I should not have a chance at (two that I didn't end up applying to, one that I declined an offer from).

I don't think you can conclude anything from it. I've only had my status updated at the schools I should not have a chance at (two that I didn't end up applying to, one that I declined an offer from).

Pretty much right after this I got an email and 3/4 of my schools are updated.

Now the waiting.

Hoping that they make it available at midnight EST... Means I might find out at 9:00PM here on the West Coast :3

Pretty much right after this I got an email and 3/4 of my schools are updated.

Now the waiting.

Hoping that they make it available at midnight EST... Means I might find out at 9:00PM here on the West Coast :3

That'd be nice.

Irrelevant, but just received an email from WLU about my OGS application... unsuccessful, but that's probably because I've declined their offer... It still hurts a little though haha. Can't wait to see if everything will be revealed at midnight ><.

Each school processes OGS differently, I think. But I think most hear back after CGS-Ms?

Edited by nuih