CGS-M 2015-2016

nuih

I only applied for OGS at one school, and I was awarded it about two weeks ago. I'm hoping for it to upgrade to a CGS-M, though I may end up attending an American institution anyway....

Grats MathCat!!

And 3 more minutes  :P Or maybe not? Forum time is different from my computer's LOL

Edited by nuih

I only applied for OGS at one school, and I was awarded it about two weeks ago. I'm hoping for it to upgrade to a CGS-M, though I may end up attending an American institution anyway....

Just curious, if you hold OGS you can still hold your scholarship/s in its entirety right? Or is that wholly dependent on the individual schools rules?

Wow, I got offered the NSERC at my undergrad institution, where I ended up not applying. That's odd. Alternate at one program that I can't afford without the NSERC. It would have been my top choice Masters program if I'd gotten it, but unsure now (though I suppose it's still a possibility). No news from the other program I applied to.

You can only hold one government award at a time.

Also, I got it for U of T!!!!!!!! Alternate at York, but that's not a surprise since they switched me from SSHRC to CIHR and there are only 8 CGS awards under CIHR. Plus U of T is where I am accepted (waitlisted at York), so I am pretty thrilled =D

Don't lose hope LebaneseKafta!! Maybe you'll be the exception!! And congrats to MathCat and lightning1129, especially!!! Edit: also to lore! 

If, in the end, we are offered a cgs m at our 'alternates', despite not going to that school, do you think we can still put "declined" in our cv haha  :P ?

Edited by nuih

You can only hold one government award at a time.

Also, I got it for U of T!!!!!!!! Alternate at York, but that's not a surprise since they switched me from SSHRC to CIHR and there are only 8 CGS awards under CIHR. Plus U of T is where I am accepted (waitlisted at York), so I am pretty thrilled =D

Congrats! If the first part is directed at me re: OGS, I'm aware of this - if offered the CGS-M, it replaces the OGS.

Does anybody know, for alternates, do we ever find out when our chances are up, or do we stay alternates until we either get an award or hit January (which I read is the last they can make offers in this cycle)?

Alternate at McMaster, Ryerson, Guelph, and Brock. Didn't even apply to Brock, so it's interesting that I'm an alternate for that one. It's my birthday so I was really hoping to get one. How likely is it for an alternate to get it and when are we supposed to find out?

So, wait, is accepting the CGS-M at U of T a good thing?

I think my letter of acceptance said the minimum funding (15K + tuition) didn't apply if I received other scholarships. The CGS-M is less than the cost of tuition and the minimum funding. That seems actually like a worse deal. 

My offer at U of T explicitly stated what would happen if offered the NSERC. If it's not in your offer, you should ask.

I think my letter of acceptance said the minimum funding (15K + tuition) didn't apply if I received other scholarships. The CGS-M is less than the cost of tuition and the minimum funding. That seems actually like a worse deal. 

They say SSHRC winners get a $2,500 top up, but that's still less than the ~8K tuition for the one year program. I may have chosen the wrong school in this case.

You have to read the regulations at your school, but *guaranteed* your tuition is paid for if you hold external scholarship. For eg. at uOttawa if you received external funding they give you an alternate funding/scholarship that covers your tuition and then some but its different then the funding offered by the dept.

Offered at Ryerson, Lakehead, and U of Regina. Will be accepting at Ryerson because that's where I am going :) :)

Oh wow congrats thats really amazing! Not to mention getting accepted at Ryerson for clinical the competition to get in there is truly something.

I can't believe it! It's like winning the lottery, twice!

Oh wow congrats thats really amazing! Not to mention getting accepted at Ryerson for clinical the competition to get in there is truly something.

Offered at UBC, which came out of the blue! No reply yet from Queen's, and UofT said "alternate"---I thought that my program wouldn't even qualify for Toronto (coursework only) so i'm surprised they even offer any

They say SSHRC winners get a $2,500 top up, but that's still less than the ~8K tuition for the one year program. I may have chosen the wrong school in this case.

It probably varies by department but I doubt that they would let you keep the 15k funding they offered you + SSHRC. In my case, since i'm in a 2 year MA program, they split the funding ($10k first year, $5k 2nd year) but i have OGS for 3 semesters so they aren't going to give me the funding offered for my first year. The $5k due next year is still available, unless i win an award, in which case my dept will retract their offer.

Basically you never get less than $15k. Most likely you get a 'top-up'

Since i'm a current student, i know my application was ranked by my dept but i'm an alternate :( Reading past threads, apparently it's possible to find out your ranking? Might ask my advisor...

For the sake of everyone's health, don't hold your breath. However, i've heard of people getting off the 'alternate' list even past September.

Edited by nakuu