CGS-M 2015-2016

nuih

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, congrats to everyone who got a SSHRC this time around.

Quick question popped into my head today - thought I might ask here.

My school (department) front loads 4 semesters of full time status and dues into their "2-year" Thesis MA.  Essentially we are full-time for four consecutive semesters, including summers.  I was admitted in January and will be finishing/defending a the end of August or early September 2016 (end of a fifth semester, if counting in the way described above).

Does this mean I am ineligible to apply this fall for a SSHRC.  My thinking would be that if awarded I would be able to receive a portion of it, until I finish the programme by submitting and defending my Thesis.

I suppose I am looking for advise from someone who finished an MA somewhat early whilst recieving a SSHRC (or partial SSHRC) during that final year.

Any insight into this is appreciated - I am also of course talking to admin and financial awards peoples at school but many are taking their much deserved holidays,

Hey guys, congrats to everyone who got a SSHRC this time around.

Quick question popped into my head today - thought I might ask here.

My school (department) front loads 4 semesters of full time status and dues into their "2-year" Thesis MA.  Essentially we are full-time for four consecutive semesters, including summers.  I was admitted in January and will be finishing/defending a the end of August or early September 2016 (end of a fifth semester, if counting in the way described above).

Does this mean I am ineligible to apply this fall for a SSHRC.  My thinking would be that if awarded I would be able to receive a portion of it, until I finish the programme by submitting and defending my Thesis.

I suppose I am looking for advise from someone who finished an MA somewhat early whilst recieving a SSHRC (or partial SSHRC) during that final year.

Any insight into this is appreciated - I am also of course talking to admin and financial awards peoples at school but many are taking their much deserved holidays,

The CGS-M program is now harmonized between NSERC, SSHRC, and CIHR (i.e. they all work the same way now). You can see the details (including eligibility) here: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/PG-CS/CGSM-BESCM_eng.asp

To answer your question though, it sounds like you say you started your program in January 2015. This means you are eligible to apply for a CGS-M in 2015 (by the December 1, 2015 deadline) because you meet the main eligibility criteria: 

• have completed, as of December 31 of the year of application, between zero and 12 months of full-time studies (or full-time equivalent) in:
    • the master’s program for which you are requesting funding; or
    • the doctoral program for which you are requesting funding if you were admitted into a doctoral program directly from your bachelor’s program (you were never registered in a master’s program, or you are registered in a combined master’s-PhD program); or
    • a master’s program, but you are requesting funding for a doctoral program (an example is a student who has fast-tracked from a master’s to a doctoral program within 12 months of starting his or her master’s and is seeking funding for the first 12 months of his or her doctoral program); 

You will just fit in because it will be exactly 12 months. The earliest you can start a new award (unless they changed this) would be May 1, 2016. Therefore, you will be eligible to receive the CGS-M funding for the period between May 1, 2016 through the end of your Masters program. Partial awards are allowed and will be pro-rated.

However, if you are planning to start a PhD program in Fall 2016, after your masters program has ended, it might be in your best interests to instead apply for the SSHRC Doctoral level awards instead. If granted, these awards would start in Fall 2016. Information here: http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/programs-programmes/fellowships/doctoral-doctorat-eng.aspx. 

I am not certain whether or not you can apply to both a CGS-M for finishing up your Masters degree and apply for a SSHRC Doctoral award in the same year. Both CGS-M and SSHRC doctoral awards count towards your maximum number of years supported by SSHRC, so in my opinion, it might be more beneficial for you to simply apply to the doctoral award if you are starting a PhD. If not, you should apply to the CGS-M.

The CGS-M program is now harmonized between NSERC, SSHRC, and CIHR (i.e. they all work the same way now). You can see the details (including eligibility) here: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/PG-CS/CGSM-BESCM_eng.asp

To answer your question though, it sounds like you say you started your program in January 2015. This means you are eligible to apply for a CGS-M in 2015 (by the December 1, 2015 deadline) because you meet the main eligibility criteria: 

You will just fit in because it will be exactly 12 months. The earliest you can start a new award (unless they changed this) would be May 1, 2016. Therefore, you will be eligible to receive the CGS-M funding for the period between May 1, 2016 through the end of your Masters program. Partial awards are allowed and will be pro-rated.

However, if you are planning to start a PhD program in Fall 2016, after your masters program has ended, it might be in your best interests to instead apply for the SSHRC Doctoral level awards instead. If granted, these awards would start in Fall 2016. Information here: http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/programs-programmes/fellowships/doctoral-doctorat-eng.aspx. 

I am not certain whether or not you can apply to both a CGS-M for finishing up your Masters degree and apply for a SSHRC Doctoral award in the same year. Both CGS-M and SSHRC doctoral awards count towards your maximum number of years supported by SSHRC, so in my opinion, it might be more beneficial for you to simply apply to the doctoral award if you are starting a PhD. If not, you should apply to the CGS-M.

I am not planning to begin a PhD straight-away and thus will shoot for this November's deadline and one term of the award from May.  Thanks so much for this info!  Extremely helpful.

Edited by hojoojoh

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know how strict they are about the 450 hour? I have been offered a part time non-university job and would be bring my total worked hours to around 100 more than the max for the year... please let me know 

I don't know how strict they are about the 450 hours. I think it's a very bad idea to be cheating the system that is awarding you money, and especially since this is public taxpayer money that we, as academics, rely on the public's trust to get continued funding.

And for practical reasons, given that you will be probably be filing an income tax report, it will be pretty hard to lie about it if you get audited. And, another practical viewpoint: 100 extra hours might mean something like $2000 if you manage to get a great job that pays like $20/hr. This is far less the value of the funding that you might disqualify yourself for. Is there some way to accept the job but work fewer hours? 

Good point, Pol. It also says that Universities may set their own requirements, and my University certainly did, which was why I was under the incorrect impression that it was strict requirement, not a suggestion. However, I see that this was due to my University's rules not NSERC/SSHRC.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who accepted the CGS-M at Concordia, have you heard anything about the Special Entrance Award for people coming? I emailed the graduate office twice in the past week but have not received a reply.

Another question -- if you have the CGS-M this year are you eligible to apply for FQRSC masters next year (2016-2017)? The latter's rules on stacking aren't very clear.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On ‎2015‎-‎07‎-‎28 at 7:35 PM, cheesecake said:

Does anyone know how strict they are about the 450 hour? I have been offered a part time non-university job and would be bring my total worked hours to around 100 more than the max for the year... please let me know 

I know this is quite late in the game for an answer, but I'm putting it here because I have a feeling others have the same questions. It is quite dependent on your university and your department the different rules they put in place. I would check.

e.g.,

From McMaster: https://fhs.mcmaster.ca/hr/documents/PermissionToWorkForm.pdf

From UBC: https://www.grad.ubc.ca/forms/request-exception-employment-limit-form

Generally, the logic is they don't want students to be working so much they neglect their studies, research (and publishing!), and health, especially if what you will be doing is working at a coffee house somewhere or a job that pays minimum wage. However, if you can show you are able to keep your productivity up, are on track for graduating, still be healthy, and that your employment is synergistic to your research, you might be able to build a case.

• 5 months later...

Just had a question regarding CGS-M transfers for all of you who have gone through the process: I know that the application site says it is possible to transfer a CGS-M under 'extenuating circumstances'? Has anyone here ever been able to do this? Thanks!

• 11 months later...
On 2015-03-27 at 4:38 PM, nuih said:

lightning1129 and I are talking about this little update box btw, haha. But yeah for sure, this probably doesn't mean anything. Still though, it doesn't hurt to be hopeful  :lol:

Based on your experience, does this "yellow box" eventually shows the correlation to receiving the award?  I have that showing in mine as well, but I wasn't paying attention since when it was there. --- I am waiting for mine ... Oh, this wait!