GRE Psychology Subject Test Scores: good enough to send or no?

kara.spinney

Hi, everyone. I just got my score for the GRE Psychology Subject Test and I'm wondering if I should bother sending it to schools that label it as 'optional'. I scored a 690 (72nd percentile). Experimental subsection was 65th percentile, and social psychology subsection was 84th percentile. Input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks for mentioning scores were out! I wasn't going to check until tomorrow.

Before I knew my scores, I was hovering around 70th or 75th percentile on deciding whether or not to send to the places that said Psych GRE scores were optional. I think at the least for any of your schools that say the Psych GRE is recommended or strongly recommended, I would send it in. If you don't even though they're recommending it, they might be imagining you got like 50th percentile or below.

I just checked my scores. They are way below expectations.

total: 690; 72nd percentile

experimental: 79th

social: 65th

I'm also pretty confused. I don't have a psychology major so I did need a superb performance on the subject test. My GRE general scores are good, as are the GPAs, LORs and fit with the interests of the target faculty.

I have decided to omit sending the subject score to programs that say it is optional. Out of necessity, I will have to send it to those that strongly recommend.

I have no basis on which to judge other than my personal intuitions but I feel like less than 80th percentile is not competitive for a good program.... but of course it always depends on what kind of programs you're applying to--everyone in my year had 95th percentile or above but it was a pretty good school.

I think a good competitive score on any standardized test required by an institution with a program hard to get into (e.g. psychological doctoral programs) is the 90th percentile and higher. Tour be fair I don't know what any of my friends scored on the test, and I took it just to have as a possible boon.

I would not submit your score if it wasn't highly recommended.

I was going through the average scores for students who got into Columbia. Prior to 2012, the Psyc GRE was required and the average scores hovered around 680. So I think having a score around 700 is pretty good

Check the school's admission stats, but I think your scores are very competitive! From what I've heard, even schools that require the Psych GRE don't place a ton of emphasis on it, and just want to see that you were above the 50th percentile. I say just go for it!