SOP evaluation for ECE Ph.D

Someone help me revised my SOP, or give me some advise about it. Thanks a lot.

Statement of Purpose

Why the Ph.D. program?

When I was in high school, I first fell in love with electromagnetic after being exposed to Maxwell’s equation. Plus my passionate to the science and engineering, I went to Electrical Engineering department in college, because I always believe that technical science has played an irreplaceable role for the development of human society. It is the true power to improve people’s life. And after four-year study in the college, I found what I want to do with my life, doing research in a university or at a company because that will lead me to create new things for the world with my full imagination. I believe a Ph.D. will give me the qualifications to work on the field that I am interested in and achieve my future career goal.

What is my interest?

Due to my strong interest in science and engineering, I took part in a project about EMAT (Electromagnetic Acoustic Transducers) when I was a sophomore. It was the first scientific research I did. I learned a lot from it, such as how to find problems of the circuits, how to configure complex circuits to decrease the noise, etc. After that, when I took Prof. XXXX’s 2012 class of Digital Signal Processing, I fell in love with DSP. I got much knowledge about DSP and its application, especially on the aspect about image processing from Prof. XXXX. So after graduated, I did research about computer vision and embedded system, which has equipped me with skills on many computer languages such as C, C++, Matlab, etc. Furthermore, the research experience on vehicle detection and industrial mechanical arm gradually led me to recognize that computer is a very powerful tool for technical science. Likewise, computer vision combining with embedded system technology will truly improve people’s life. For example, DAS (Driver Assistance Systems), which aims at improving the driver’s vision efficiency and vehicle active safety performance to decrease the accident rate, needs the technology of computer vision and embedded system for its many good features such as rich information, low cost, easy installation and reliable performance.

I am passionate about this area and trust that the research in this field will someday change the world. So I am eagerly hoping to do research about imaging processing and embedded system. I hope I can specialize in the field of pattern recognition at XXXXX lab or XXXX Laboratory. I am very interested in current research of Prof. XXXX about XXX, and Prof. XXXX’s research about XXXX. I have done some research about pattern recognition and object detection and recognition in the project about vision-based vehicle detection, in which we needed to extract preceding vehicle information to detect them. And the project about mechanical arm also enriched my experience about intelligent system and image processing. About it, I am writing a paper named “XXXX.”

Thank you for considering my application. If admitted, I will take full advantage of this opportunity and work as hard as I can in this field .