Am I Being Unrealistic? SOS!

Caffeine Junky

I am applying to grad schools to get my PhD in biomedical sciences. My dream school, (and unfortunately also my reach school) is Scripps Research Institute in Jupier, FL. As I get closer and closer to that imminent application date, I'm starting to think it's way out of my league. My undergrad GPA is just okay, (about 3.4), I'll have one or two pubs, 3 years research experience, and I haven't taken the GRE yet. Does anyone have any experience with Scripps and know if my reach is a little bit TOO out of reach? Or could someone help to give me ideas to strengthen my application? I definitely have the drive and want, I just don't know if my qualifications are up to par.

Any advice AT ALL is welcomed!

Anxiously,

Caffeine Junky

Edited by Caffeine Junky

Disclaimer: I don't know anything about your field or Scripps. But here are some ideas and questions that might help you make some progress:

Is your undergrad major the same as your intended major for Scripps?

Perhaps you could take another course or two which are more specialized for your grad focus, either to boost your GPA, or to show Scripps that you can get A's in the field while also (working? researching? whatever you're doing right now). 

How are your rec letters? 

Why do you have the 3.4 GPA? What was your last two years' GPA?

How does your 3 years of experience compare with others in the field - is it pretty standard coming out of biomed undergrad to have that experience? Whether that kind or that amount? What's better, stronger, or more unique about it? Maybe emphasize that.