Penn State letters of recommendation

sociologylouise

While most graduate schools I am applying to give those writing letters of recommendation the ability to submit letters before the actual application is submitted, Penn State's system will only send out recommendation requests once I have submitted the application.

So, what I'm wondering is, does this mean I need to submit my end of the application ahead of time, giving my professors enough time to submit letters by the January 10th deadline, or can I submit my application by January 10th and let them turn in the letters a few days later.

I only ask because my college is on break from December 15th to January 12th. I do not want my professors to have to do anything on their break, so this means that if the recommendations are due January 10th, this means I need to complete my end nearly a month in advance. I'd really love an extra month to work on my writing sample to make it perfect, as Penn State is my top choice at the moment.

Does anyone know when recommendations need to be submitted by? Specifically, those that applied to Penn State, when did you submit your materials?