Are book reviews and research proposals good choices for writing samples?

gentle_dove

I've decided to submit an essay as the major writing sample, but since some department allow more than one samples, I am wondering whether it would be better for me to submit a book review or research proposal as a supplemental document.

As the teaching language in my institution is not English, I do not have many English works in hand to choose from. I have an English book review and two research proposals written for courses taken during exchange. They are well-written and received high scores. Maybe they can also show my knowledge in methodology. But I don't know whether they are the right formats as writing sample.

Has anyone got any ideas about this? Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to sociology PhD programs and used a research proposal (around 20 pages) as one of my writing samples, and my professors/advisers were very supportive and encouraging of that decision. I think a book review would also work well -- really, anything that shows your writing ability (and is relevant to sociology) would suffice, as long as it meets the page/word requirements!

I would never use a book review for a writing sample. A writing sample is more than just seeing your "writing ability." You want something that shows you can develop a hypothesis, a research design, conduct literature reviews, come up with a research topic, use qualitative or quantitative analysis, ect. 

Edited by victorydance