Apply now for PhD or wait until next year?

pterosaur

I was awarded a Marshall Scholarship, so I will be going to the UK next year to do a masters in bioengineering. However, I'm also in the process of applying to PhD programs here in the US. Is it better to complete/submit my PhD applications now (they still need some serious work...) and then ask to defer a year, or wait until a year from now to apply?

My PI suggested I wait and enjoy my year in London, but when I mentioned this on another forum, someone thought it was a much better idea to apply this year. If I apply from the UK, too, it would be way harder to visit schools. What do you think?

Edited by pterosaur

Well, that seems to be a pretty unified response. Why is it so much better to wait?

Because programs don't usually let you defer, it screws up their funding!

If you were to apply, it should be at 1 school you are definitely going to with a POI that has already committed to you with the understanding of the department. This might be possible since you have funding (does marshall go beyond your masters?). 

Edited by GeoDUDE!

I'd only apply once you are legitimately ready to attend the program, this isn't like medical school where a one year defer is something that happens frequently.  I think most schools wouldn't even allow you to do that without saying, you can apply again but we aren't holding a spot for you.  Also I'd take the time to gain some great experience, get some solid letters of recommendation from your graduate (MS) professors and whatnot.  this will only strengthen your application, assuming you do well.  It gives you a chance to spend the next year proving you are an even better applicant than you were before.  

You'll gain more maturity, more experience, better feel for graduate school, inherently you'll probably write a better SOP.  Just take the year on what you are doing now and excel at it and apply as you go.  People will interview over skype if they can't afford to fly you back internationally.  They will make it work as will you.  

I guess I was thinking of it more in terms of the situation that I expected: not knowing the state of fellowships before I submitted my applications. But you're right that it wouldn't be fair to apply 100% knowing that I won't be attending for a year.

@peachypie - I'm not sure how meaningful a letter of recommendation would be from someone in the MS program, since it starts in October and I'll be applying in December.

You said yourself that your applications still need some serious work; you are spending money on applying for a position you already know you wont be able to accept; you have the chance to spend the time until you Masters to do things that will strengthen your application; by the deadline next year you will already be involved in a course that will (presumably) enhance your knowledge/skills and you can write about it from experience; you can work on rapport with potential LoR writers... would you like me to continue? I don't see any advantages in applying now to be honest... why do you think it's a good idea?

PS: Also, even though you may only start in October (unusual - I am fully UK educated and my BA as well as my MA started in September - same for my friends in other schools) you still have a couple of months to leave a great first impression and give your letter writers something to say about you. I don't know about your field but my MA program was very small so students and faculty had formed a strong professional bond rather quickly. A lot quicker than during my BA where there were more than 100 students.