Vanderbilt Hebrew Bible PhD

Maccabeus

Hey. I was wondering if anyone knows what is going on at Vandy. The Seow announcement is pretty common knowledge but does anyone know if he will be taking students this Fall? Also, does either Sasson or Knight take doctoral students?

Knight and Sasson are both retiring this year.

EDIT: From a dean, the general advice of the university is for profs not to take on doctoral students their first year. That said, it's entirely up to the prof and they're not aware if Seow has made a decision.

Edited by xypathos

Thanks for the info. Let me ask a follow up question for everyone. How does this information affect my SOP? Should I write it assuming that Seow is taking students or not? Are Azzoni and Marbury both taking students? Is Vanderbilt planning on finding other replacements for Knight and Sasson or is Seow it?

VDS has been interviewing other Hebrew-related applicants but I don't know where that process is currently. They very well could have already made an offer to someone.

Regarding Seow, I'd just email him and ask. The times he's been on campus, he's been very cordial and receptive to every question someone has tossed his way.

I'd also suggest asking Azzoni and Marbury regarding their status and if they're taking students. They're really the only ones who know.

• 2 weeks later...