Application Questions

PreciselyTerrified

1 - Stanford lets me add the GRE score from one date or add nothing. I have my scores, but my highest scores divide across two tests. Am I allowed to leave this part of the application blank and just send the scores through ETS?

2 - Stanford also wants to know what fellowships I'm applying for. Is that something I'm supposed to be doing now????

3 - Does anyone know where to send transcripts for UPenn?

4 - Does it seem to you as though each school wants several pints of your blood? That's how I'm feeling.

^ I disagree with this. I enjoy a nice, detailed by-line. Your application, PreciselyTerrified, seems quite amazing. Best of luck. 

I would report your scores from one test, and then let the ETS report speak for itself. But I don't know how much this matters. 

Your byline is specific enough that if I were evaluating your application, I would have all the information I needed to connect the dots. So, for the same reason you ought not post pictures of yourself doing irresponsible things on Facebook, you ought to be careful posting on this forum. It's easy to get stressed about the process and complain about the system on here. You wouldn't want to say anything here that would reflect poorly on you. I don't think ad comms are searching this forum for reasons to deny someone, but there are plenty of graduate students here and things do get around.

Your byline is specific enough that if I were evaluating your application, I would have all the information I needed to connect the dots. So, for the same reason you ought not post pictures of yourself doing irresponsible things on Facebook, you ought to be careful posting on this forum. It's easy to get stressed about the process and complain about the system on here. You wouldn't want to say anything here that would reflect poorly on you. I don't think ad comms are searching this forum for reasons to deny someone, but there are plenty of graduate students here and things do get around.

I've always thought that people on TGC were a little paranoid. "What if I put X on Y part of the application, and this or that professor reads it and tells the adcom at another university? What if someone on the adcom finds my instagram and sees that I'm not *really* a vegetarian?" As someone who clearly isn't worried about anonymity, I think it should be said that no one gives a shit about grad cafe. Professors are busy people, and the grad students lurking around don't give enough of a shit to go around making trouble for you. Unless your posts contain explicit threats to the adcom, or some really scandalous, compromising information, I can't imagine anyone caring. I wouldn't be worried about "complaining about the system"; what could possibly come of it? You gripe about the cost of GRE scores, and then the DGS at Rutgers finds out and strikes your name from the list?