SOP length/content

bsharpe269

Hi all,

I am finishing up SOPs for my Decmeber deadlines. They are currently around 2 pages long. I cant decide if it is worth it to try to shorten to around a page and a half or if they are fine as they are. Anyone care to share the length of theirs for comparison?

Also, can anyone tell me how much they discuss past research vs future plans. These are very connected for me since I want to do PhD research very similar to my current MS work. I currently have a fairly detailed description of my current research project which should show how well I understand the subfield that I hope to go into. The flow of my SOP is the following: I cite a couple of the big founding papers and discuss the big picture of where my subfield is and why it is important, then go into my specific research experience which connects to that, then finish with discussion on the professors at that school that work in line with this area. I also include a discussion on how my intersciplinary background fits well with the intersciplinary nature of my research area and the programs I am applying to. One thing that I want to include but dont have space for is a paragraph about my NSF proposal which is a cool area in the subfield that remains fairly unresearched. Should I try to include this? Is it worth cutting back on my previous experience to do it? Any thoughts on this difficult balance between explaining work you have done vs work you want to do?

Thanks so much!

Hi all,

I am finishing up SOPs for my Decmeber deadlines. They are currently around 2 pages long. I cant decide if it is worth it to try to shorten to around a page and a half or if they are fine as they are. Anyone care to share the length of theirs for comparison?

Also, can anyone tell me how much they discuss past research vs future plans. These are very connected for me since I want to do PhD research very similar to my current MS work. I currently have a fairly detailed description of my current research project which should show how well I understand the subfield that I hope to go into. The flow of my SOP is the following: I cite a couple of the big founding papers and discuss the big picture of where my subfield is and why it is important, then go into my specific research experience which connects to that, then finish with discussion on the professors at that school that work in line with this area. I also include a discussion on how my intersciplinary background fits well with the intersciplinary nature of my research area and the programs I am applying to. One thing that I want to include but dont have space for is a paragraph about my NSF proposal which is a cool area in the subfield that remains fairly unresearched. Should I try to include this? Is it worth cutting back on my previous experience to do it? Any thoughts on this difficult balance between explaining work you have done vs work you want to do?

Thanks so much!

I honestly would highlight the NSF proposal ( because it's a big friggin deal) and scale back the stuff about the field. Any place where you aren't talking about yourself is wasted space imo. 

I honestly would highlight the NSF proposal ( because it's a big friggin deal) and scale back the stuff about the field. Any place where you aren't talking about yourself is wasted space imo. 

Thanks for the advice! My goal in discussing the field stuff is that I think my description makes it really clear that I have done a very thorough lit review of the subfield and know what I am talking about. I will definitely think about this advice though and see if I can acheive the same goal while cutting some out... any other opinions?

I cite a couple of the big founding papers and discuss the big picture of where my subfield is and why it is important

I would get rid of anything that talks about the field rather than talks about you in the field.  You could lightly mention papers such as, "After reading John Humdinker's methods on toad flies, I knew I was hooked." Your experience is what they are looking for.  They might get testy if they have to read through an entire paragraph telling them about their field or why it's important. 

This needs to be about you, your experiences, and definitely applying for a NSF grant.  I think you're crazy to leave it out. 

By the by: my SOP/LOI/whatever you wanna call it was 1.25 pages. 

My SOP was perfectly 2 pages, maybe one or two were edited so that it gave me an extra line.  I had a flow that went as such: what I'm interested in doing (pursue a PhD), why I got here...this includes my background, previous experiences, explains why this is the direction I find an interest/passion in and how I want to take that to the next level.  then I transitioned into what interests me, specific to the program I'm interested in, the PIs I would like to work with or have research similar to my interests, as well as what kind of general inquiries that propel me to do research.  Explained how the program would allow me to grow, benefit in reaching these goals.  explain how I would add to the program. Summary and concluding statements affirming my interests and desires to attend the program.  I would say I spent maybe 15% on intro/conclusions, 35% on background, experiencees, 30% on future and program specific and 20% on specific references to the program, faculty and how it integrates with me.  

I would say cutout the field specific stuff and papers.  summarize that into addressing what types of things you are interested in and where you want to take the field.  I'd mention the NSF application.  Do you have it?  if you have been awarded the NSF then definitely highlight that, if not...it will fall into the area of well good but not guaranteed.  Id really focus on the two big things of your SOP imo which should be 1.  Your background and 2. Your future.  talk about what got you here, what skills you have, how your skills and experiences aid in the pursuit of your next step (PhD) and what makes you a good fit for them, as well as they are a good fit for you.  That is the stuff that should be the emphasis of your SOP over anything else.