Paul and Daisy Soros Fellowship for New Americans - 2015/16

haribo

We might as well start the new topic for this year (based of off @Yellow Magnet who did it for last year).  Go ahead and dish out your woes and worries here.  The application deadline was November 1st (and was extended to November 3rd). They announce the semifinalists in early January.

My woes and worries: I'm not nearly as "prodigy-like" as the nearly all of their recipients. That about sums it up.

Kidding aside, this was my second time applying for the Soros Fellowship. I applied two years ago, took a year off from applying due to my first semester in graduate school and more of a focus on the NSF GRFP application (note to readers: Don't do what I did---apply for every fellowship you can as often as you can. Cast a wide net!!!). 

My Fellowship Record:

2011-2012 

NSF GRFP: Reviewers comments were along the lines of this proposal sucks and you suck.

Soros Fellowship: Thanks for applying, chump.

2012-2013

NSF GRFP (Received Honorable Mention): Reviewers comments indicated a strong proposal, with undergraduate academic record holding me back.

Soros: Did not apply

2013-2014

NSF GRFP: TBD

Soros: TBD (less hopeful than NSF)

I honestly believe that the Soros fellowship is more competitive than the NSF GRFP. While NSF flouts a commitment to diversity in the sciences---all you have to do is look at the recipients of the Soros fellowship to see that they are actually embodying diversity. Granted, this could be due to the nature of the fellowship for "New Americans". However, reading through the accomplishments of past and current Soros Fellows is truly mindblowing. They truly are the cream of the crop in terms of current achievements and future potential to contribute to society.

I, a white immigrant from Europe, hardly scream "DIVERSITY HIRE". That, and my field (Behavioral Ecology and Environmental Science), isn't the most attractive to the Soros reviewers.

While my essays are much improved from a few years ago, I still think the competition for this Fellowship is so steep that it will negate any potential benefits.\

-David

I applied too, and I totally second the feeling that I'm not as fancy as the current fellows. I'm also not doing law or medicine, so we'll see if that helps or hurts! I'm more curious than nervous, though. One more month(ish) until we find out! It's also kind of a bummer that the Soros Fellowship threads aren't as active as the other fellowships

Edited by Yanders

Glad to hear from more people who applied this year! I also applied (this is my second time). As Dash mentioned, when I read past fellows' bio I become completely convinced that I'm not gonna get the fellowship (though I have pretty good academic credentials on paper), but let's hope for the best  ;)

First time applying for me.

I looked at my submitted resume and found a mistake. -_-

My essays are okay...nobody helped me look at them though. I have no honorifics or anything (errr) so none of the optional stuff submitted. I did receive 5 recommendation letters. 

::sigh:: I'd really like to get this funding but it's a long shot - as it seems, for everyone. 

Edited by i.am.me

So where is everyone from (ımmıgratıon-wıse), and what school are you attendıng/ do you want to attend? I'm from Jamaica, and I'll be studying Economic and political development at Columbıa next year.

I'm already in my program. Studying immigrant and refugee and/or low-income students that are considered underrepresented in higher education (of Asian and Southeast Asian descent). I am American-born with parents who are refugees from Southeast Asia. 

It does? Thanks, I hope so. :-) sometimes studying the process of racialization can be very...depressing. It's for a PhD program. I am hoping to get funding to begin my 3rd year. So, this will be the last year that I am applying.

Others, still have hope lol what are others doing?

Edited by i.am.me

• 2 weeks later...

Yanders, please don't make i.am.me nervous ;-)

Not trying to hype up anything but based on last years announcement timings, there's a good chance that they start calling finalists this Monday and Tuesday.

No - guess I'm out?

LOL these things are always crap shoots. So you apply for them and also look for more reliable sources....like TAing for me lol

Besides, I'm used to being ignored, it's exactly what my research is all about. 

What I said earlier is obviously purely speculative and they might announce the finalists this Friday or something (again speculating but Jan 12, next Monday, is definitely not "early" Jan anymore). Personally I'm waiting for the rejection letter in my inbox tomorrow or the day after.