Canadian Clinical Psychology Apps 2015

LebaneseKafta

Hello,

Wanted to see if anyone here applying to Clinical Psych. programs in Canada, even better if anyone is applying to School/Child Clinical or Applied Psych programs in Canada.

UofT is the most competitive for SCCP apps, think mine is competitive but have no one to compare to. 

Can anyone comment on my app stats??????? (I know too much detail but just wanted to get some feedback)

GPA - 3.75/4

Conference presentations - 3 

Pubs. - 2 research reports gov. Canada, 1 submitted manuscript for peer-reviewed journal - all first author

research experience (RA) - 3 years at Childrens Hospital, Corrections Canada research branch, supervisors lab on campus 

Clinical experience - group homes for children with disabilities, respite for children with behavioural/psych issues, refugee housing worker, womens shelter internship with social worker

Academic experience - undergrad TA for a year (two courses), Supplementary Instructor for year (2 courses)

Thesis - A+

Refs - one amazing, one good

SOP - so - so (POI said looked good, not much else though)

damn...you blew my stats out of the water and I applied there too. GOOD LUCK!

my overall GPA is only 3.3 but final year 4.0

Very little research experience, but I did volunteer in a lab and am currently doing my thesis.

LOTS of work with kids: Camp counselor for 6 years, accepted to teachers college.

1 excellent referee, other 2 O.K.

I worked very hard on my SOI 

No pubs or presentations....

So, you look like a VERY good applicant, at least in comparison to my application lol

Your application definitely looks strong! I wonder about GREs, but assuming those are good too, I'd say you have a very good chance. Good luck!

Edited by DeltaSkelta

I think your stats look pretty good (heeeeey fellow CSC Research Branch person)! You definitely have a good mix of clinical and research experience. I know U of C really takes into account the clinical experience bit for their school program, so you look like you're on the right track.

I've applied to the clinical PhD programs at Simon Fraser, Saskatchewan, and New Brunswick, so we'll see how those applications go. This is my second time applying to clinical. I'm in the process of getting my Masters in experimental forensic psychology so hopefully they're let me transfer over to the clinical side of things given that I think my stats are good enough (especially since my research is clinically-based). 

I'm doing a MA at Carleton, actually. My stats are still pretty good. The major difference is that I have more research experience (1 author pub and conference presentation, plus I'm currently working on 2 others to submit. I also have experience in labs in undergrad with the CSC research for my Masters). My GPA is pretty strong though in both degrees (3.90 in my Masters, 3.71 in my undergrad with the last two years being over 3.9), so here's hoping! I got interviews at 2 out of the 3 programs that I applied to for clinical the first time around (2 years ago), so I'm hoping that I'm still a strong candidate. I'm just lacking mostly in the clinical experience aspect (I used to work with adults with developmental disabilities and I did some peer support stuff in undergrad but that's pretty much it).

That's awesome! I go to Carleton as well in the forensic stream for undergrad, so we've probably have ran into eachother at some point as the forensic psych students community is pretty exclusive :P. Are you not applying to uOttawa? I think that is where I have the best chance as I've met with POI twice (the second time she invited me to come meet her and really went out of her way to ensure that I met her again) and got her grad students to help me with my application. So, I'm pretty sure she will put me first and I will put her first, admissions committee is where I'm most concerned at this point as I feel my app will look like crap in comparison to an MA student applying.

Hahah we probably have. I know pretty much all the grad students and a good portion of the undergrads in the program.

I was considering applying to UOttawa, but they only have one forensic faculty there, and tbh it's not really my research area (I might be able to swing the research that I want to do but idk). It's almost too much of a hassle to scramble an application together before next Monday (and they want it mailed in too, what year is this). That's pretty good though that you have a POI there who you have a good chance at getting in with! That will definitely help!

I applied to UOttawa for Clinical and was wondering if anyone has been experiencing the same problem as me. My online application says I only mailed in my official transcripts and that they are missing my CV, statement of interest, and supplemental information form. All of my application was in the same envelope.. I know that these forms are probably just taking longer to process but it is stressing me out.. 

I would suggest calling them on Monday to make sure they got all your forms since that is the last day, but I honestly wouldn't worry about it if you sent it all in in one package. Is uOttawa your top choice?

I'm pretty torn between experimental and clinical.. Mostly because I love research and statistics and I know I will not have as much time to pursue these while taking a clinical degree. At the same time I'm interested in clinical work. I would say uOttawa and Carleton are my top choices. Is it your top choice?

I am Canadian as well, U of A grad, but decided that most of the professors who do research in clinical don't really have much to offer me aside from U of C and U of T, the latter of which I have essentially given up trying to gain acceptance to. Even then there's only 2 faculty who resemble my own interests from what I saw, so I'm strictly interested in the US and U of C.

There's so many more options in the US for my research interests (psychophysiological approaches to cognitive-emotion interactions, particularly in mood disorders), so I've decided to apply to a bunch of programs there and try to apply for post-bacc jobs as well in those labs incase I don't get acceptance (1st time applying). It doesn't seem like many people are interested in doing neuroscience based research through clinical compared to more cognitive, social, personaslity, type research, which is fine, but the number of faculty for those types of interests reflect that.

Epoh, I'm interested in understanding how Canadian students can afford to go to graduate school in USA considering how expensive it is.. what is your plan? I've looked into some of the schools but all of them require you to show proof of financial support for one year PRIOR to acceptance, which obviously is quite difficult since its around 20-30k per year?

Noor123, a professor at my school explained to me that American private schools will accept Americans vs. Internationals based solely on their fit with the program and their accomplishments because they want the best of the best. He said most private schools will fund International students completely.  He said this is unlikely to be the case at state schools. However, Iowa state has told me that they waive international students tuition if accepted and that they give a stipend of 16,000 (roughly). They also said that they give TA and RAships that would be an additional income outside of the yearly stipend. 

I think it really comes down to the school and how far they are willing to go to get their first pick of incoming students. 

Epoh, I'm interested in understanding how Canadian students can afford to go to graduate school in USA considering how expensive it is.. what is your plan? I've looked into some of the schools but all of them require you to show proof of financial support for one year PRIOR to acceptance, which obviously is quite difficult since its around 20-30k per year?

I applied to 6 programs in the U. S and only 1/6 requires proof of being able to afford it before getting accepted. I also read that some of them will waive your tuition as well as provide TA positions. I think it does just depend on the school. Other things to consider: often the cost of living is less in many areas of the U. S when compared to Canada (not always though).

A large number of American schools will fully cover tuition for accepted students in clinical science. Then there are scholarships, as well as TA/RAships... The rest is OSAP for me, but I'm willing to go into debt for a chance to study in the States.

A large number of American schools will fully cover tuition for accepted students in clinical science. Then there are scholarships, as well as TA/RAships... The rest is OSAP for me, but I'm willing to go into debt for a chance to study in the States.

Just curious, may I ask why?  You're dying to come here; I'm dying to go there...What do you see as the advantages of coming to the US versus the programs in Canada?

Edited by searpr

searpr: my reasoning is that, on average, all Canadian schools are good schools, yet the best-ranked American schools (I'm thinking Northwestern, WUSTL, Ivies etc.) are the best in the world. I think that, ceteris paribus, gaining a foothold on an academic career ladder is much easier with a doctorate from Berkeley, than with a doctorate from Dalhousie (I'm applying to both, so no offence to Dalhousie). 

I also think that, beyond the quality of instruction, the relationship with your supervisor, the amount of funding, and the reputation of your program, your future will be defined by the connections you make among the graduate students within and without your program. I'd rather have the connections I'd make at WUSTL or Fordham, than the connections I'd make at U of O… IMHO (again, applying to all three).

I'm also fascinated by the States, and want to live there for a few years! (Wanderlust and all.)

And of course, these are my private opinions -- folks are free to disagree.

A lot of Canadian clinical schools outrank U.S. schools (including Berkeley) on their EPPP scores, which allows me to presume their quality of instruction must be quite excellent.

http://www.socialpsychology.org/clinrank.htm

I also feel like the quality of connections you make does not completely depend on the school you attend. One of the best pain researchers in the world works at UNBC (University of Northern B.C.), a University that is usually overlooked.. Also you can always connect with academics at other facilities and collaborate on a project. It  depends on an individuals' determination and desire to make good connections IMO.