Low GPA/GRE - 2015 application

syl.tutu

It's that time again! Just want to start a thread where we can share the nervewrecking experience.  I'm currently applying for an MPH to UCLA, University of Minnesota, University of Colorado Denver, UMass Amherst, Oregon State, UI Chicago, University of South Florida.  A little discouraged due to my low GPA and VERY low GRE but I have extensive experience here and there locally and globally.  Also, I'm coming straight from undergrad with public health background.  The statement of purpose is still in the work with the 1st deadline coming up very soon so I don't know how strong it's going to be in the admission panel's perspective. I've just been bombarded with school, research, and a job of which I hope will pay off because they are all public health related. Anyone going through similar experience?? I'd like to hear :)

I'm a student ambassador at Berkeley's SPH so I work closely with the admissions committee. I know their criteria is that if the GPA is low, then they want to see a high GRE. But if the GPA is high, then GRE isn't as much of a factor. They look at this before even getting into the nitty gritty about work experience. Since you can't control your GPA, definitely retake the GRE. There's no harm in working a little longer and applying next year with a higher GRE score. Experiences are essential of course, but they won't admit you if they don't think you can keep up with the academic rigor of their curriculums. Though most of the schools you listed aren't top schools, so I'm sure they will be more lax/have a lower academic criteria. Regardless, I think you'd have a better shot if you waited a year to apply with a better GRE score.

I'm a student ambassador at Berkeley's SPH so I work closely with the admissions committee. I know their criteria is that if the GPA is low, then they want to see a high GRE. But if the GPA is high, then GRE isn't as much of a factor. They look at this before even getting into the nitty gritty about work experience. Since you can't control your GPA, definitely retake the GRE. There's no harm in working a little longer and applying next year with a higher GRE score. Experiences are essential of course, but they won't admit you if they don't think you can keep up with the academic rigor of their curriculums. Though most of the schools you listed aren't top schools, so I'm sure they will be more lax/have a lower academic criteria. Regardless, I think you'd have a better shot if you waited a year to apply with a better GRE score.

Thanks for your advice! I wouldn't say my GPA is horrible as it's above minimum for the schools applying (and above the average in some) but it's not as competitive as I like it to be. I pretty much gave up my GRE score.  I'm well too far into the application process to wait another year but as you said, my profile would defintely be improved if I did.  I'm applying to these programs for their curriculum, structures and how appropriate they are for where I want to go with my career.  They all have great training and research background so I wouldn't mind ending up with any one of them. I can't deny that the top schools have their perks but the rest aren't too shabby either.  If this isn't my year then you'll see me again in 2016 ;)

Edited by syl.tutu

I have a low GPA and an average GRE. I've been accepted to one school so far! As niihla08 said, it'd be great if you could boost your GRE scores. However, MPH programs are notorious for accepting lower GPA and GRE applicants, as it is not a major factor in their decision. I wouldn't worry too much. It sounds like you have quite a bit of public health experience. 

It's hard to say based on the info you've given. It really depends on the specific program. For example, epidemiology is going to pretty much require your GRE quantitative is above 50% at least, and maybe higher depending on the program. However, I know that some other "majors" don't care about the quantitative score hardly at all. If you're doing something like global health, international experience might have a lot more weight than GRE scores anyway. It also depends on what type of work experience you have, your recommendation letters, how well your SOP is written, and exactly how low the GPA is. Really, the best thing you can do to get a gauge of how competitive your stats are is to look at what the school's website says about what they are looking for in applicants, talk to admissions counselors, and look at the grad cafe admissions board. The best way to increase your chances of getting in is to visit the school or at least have a conversation with a professor or two in addition to an admissions counselor. I think you picked a good variety of schools, though, that seem reasonable.

• 3 weeks later...

@syl.tutu: I have a lower GPA and average GRE quant scores but a decent amount of experience like you, so I say why not try :)  

I decided to apply to two 'safety' schools + two 'reach' schools...but I wanted to ask you about applying to UCLA.

Were you able to meet their app deadline (12/1)? I didn't check out the program until more recently so I missed the deadline; even with my lower scores, I still really want to apply. The UCLA site does mention that they would accept applications after 12/1, but I'm not sure if applying would be futile since some schools tend to make their decisions so quickly!

Here's hoping that their admissions office is open/available today when I call. Cheers!

I have a low GPA and an average GRE. I've been accepted to one school so far! As niihla08 said, it'd be great if you could boost your GRE scores. However, MPH programs are notorious for accepting lower GPA and GRE applicants, as it is not a major factor in their decision. I wouldn't worry too much. It sounds like you have quite a bit of public health experience. 

what do you mean average GRE? 

Mine GRE is about 320. is it average?

• 3 weeks later...

Im in the same boat. My GPA is a 2.9+, GRE Quant: 44% Verbal: 87%

Ive applied to Environmental/Occupational Health masters programs at JH, Tulane, Hunter and McGill. I have almost 4 years of work experience in the occupational health field as an EHS professional/ industrial hygienist. Im skeptical about being accepted anywhere because of my low scores/gpa and a lack of research.

I just dont know how you get involved in research activities without being in school or having a masters degree already. 

Edited by biscuitbitty

Im in the same boat. My GPA is a 2.9+, GRE Quant: 44% Verbal: 87%

Ive applied to Environmental/Occupational Health masters programs at JH, Tulane, Hunter and McGill. I have almost 4 years of work experience in the occupational health field as an EHS professional/ industrial hygienist. Im skeptical about being accepted anywhere because of my low scores/gpa and a lack of research.

I just dont know how you get involved in research activities without being in school or having a masters degree already. 

same here.

My GPA is low since I took some many science classes (math and bio double major) and my GRE is ok 90% for both. And i am applying for environmental health without much experience .

I am freaking out and I have no idea where i will end up to

Hey everyone! I have a question I had been a little nervous because I have not heard back from any mph or MSPH programs yet and most of them were due on December 15th. Is this a bad sign?? I was told by a top five public health school that my application was very strong when I mentioned my worries about my GRE score. Do you think that I have a chance if the rest of my application is strong besides my GRE, which is very low?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All-

I am in a very similar boat as many of you. I have an average GPA of 3.3, but low (truly low) GRE scores. I took the test twice, but to no avail. I do have Peace Corps experience, and have held 2 professional Public Health positions. Has anyone heard good news back from schools who might be in a similar predicament?

Thanks!

3.38 SOPHAS GPA, 161v/149q/3.0awa... abysmal quantitative and awa scores.  Ugh, hoping I get some love from the programs I applied to; USF, UF, Tulane, Temple, Mercer.  Mainly applied to epi programs.

@syl.tutu: I have a lower GPA and average GRE quant scores but a decent amount of experience like you, so I say why not try :)  

I decided to apply to two 'safety' schools + two 'reach' schools...but I wanted to ask you about applying to UCLA.

Were you able to meet their app deadline (12/1)? I didn't check out the program until more recently so I missed the deadline; even with my lower scores, I still really want to apply. The UCLA site does mention that they would accept applications after 12/1, but I'm not sure if applying would be futile since some schools tend to make their decisions so quickly!

Here's hoping that their admissions office is open/available today when I call. Cheers!

I did make the deadline to UCLA but only 3 hours before it was due so close call! Good news is that I just got an acceptance letter today from UCLA.  I really thought it was long shot but really happy I applied anyways. I would encourage you to apply :)

@biscuitbitty - I had to do my own research for a minor but I got in contact with professors afterwards asking them if I could be a part of their projects. I came at a good time too because they hired me for a semester. Most of them are happy to get free assistance and you do learn a lot from them!

Edited by syl.tutu

• 2 weeks later...

I did make the deadline to UCLA but only 3 hours before it was due so close call! Good news is that I just got an acceptance letter today from UCLA.  I really thought it was long shot but really happy I applied anyways. I would encourage you to apply :)

@biscuitbitty - I had to do my own research for a minor but I got in contact with professors afterwards asking them if I could be a part of their projects. I came at a good time too because they hired me for a semester. Most of them are happy to get free assistance and you do learn a lot from them!

that is good to know, thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

To those concerned about their quant scores for Epidemiology: I applied to MPH in Epi with a quant GRE score of 152 (48%ile) and I have been accepted to four programs and waitlisted at one. Of course, both of my other sections were above the 90th %ile which might have helped.

To those concerned about their quant scores for Epidemiology: I applied to MPH in Epi with a quant GRE score of 152 (48%ile) and I have been accepted to four programs and waitlisted at one. Of course, both of my other sections were above the 90th %ile which might have helped.

Awesome!  I had a 149Q (161V) and got in to a lesser known Epi/Biostats program at Temple (and general MPH at Mercer).  I think my solid undergrad grades in epi, biostats, and a few other stats/research methods courses helped make up for my pitiful quant score.

Edited by Vespasian

• 3 weeks later...

i have 2.0 gpa score... nd 278 in gre score... with ielts 6.0 bands.. please guys i  really need your help.. can u tell me..how can i get the admission in Mph deegree in usa...nd i also really interested to get admission in Long island University , Brooklyn...your genuine advise..really means a lot to me...

i have 2.0 gpa score... nd 278 in gre score... with ielts 6.0 bands.. please guys i  really need your help.. can u tell me..how can i get the admission in Mph deegree in usa...nd i also really interested to get admission in Long island University , Brooklyn...your genuine advise..really means a lot to me...

Most US universities set a minimum GPA of 3.0 for admission into MPH programs, but if you have significant (3+ years) experience working in public health, they might be willing to forgive your low GPA. That's my best advice for dealing with your GPA, also you could try taking some post-bacc classes to improve your actual GPA as well. GRE score is slightly less important, but if you want to be more competitive, you should keep studying/practicing and take it over again.

• 3 weeks later...

Does SOPHAS really take up to 4 weeks to verify your gpa? I'm starting to sweat here my application was finally completed on 3/31/15 and my first deadline is 4/15 (transcript issues) Any words of encouragement or insight MUCH appreciated.