paper size (letter size vs. A4)

Owlet

Hi~ This is my first time applying to graduate schools. I am a fourth-year undergraduate studying in Taiwan.

I realized that some online applications state that my scanned transcripts should be printable on 8.5" x 11" paper (letter size).

For example, in the Yale instructions, they said that the uploaded transcripts should be printable in letter size paper.

"You must ensure that the institution name and other identifying marks are not missed during the scanning process and that your scanned copy is clearly legible and can print on letter size paper (8.5" x 11")"

However, in Taiwan, the transcripts are only available in A4 paper (8.27 in × 11.02 in).
Therefore, I'm not sure how I should upload it.

I have thought of some options:
a. upload A4 original version (the computer can adjust to paper size when printing, but this is not something I would have control of...)
b. upload letter size (I tried scanning using letter size, but some of the words at the top/bottom got cut off)
c. insert the transcript as a photo onto a word document (that will leave wide margins on each side).

I have written an email to the Yale graduate admissions office to ask, and am still waiting for their reply.

Some other schools also have the 8.5" x 11" request.

I also wonder if letter size paper is the default size in the U.S. because some schools do not specify the size requirements, so I'm not sure what size I should use for those schools?

Thanks for any answers!
Edited by Owlet

The 8.5x11 is in fact a default standard paper size in the US.  Thus I think it can be assumed that those who do not specify, expect a similar size.  Oddly I think my (US) official transcripts are a larger paper size than that.  

I'd try scanning your transcript at like 95%, decreasing the size a bit so that it can fit on 8.5x11 (make up for that .2 inch difference in length).

In my opinion, you can just upload the A4 size because you will only lose the last 0.02" (make sure nothing important is lost). In addition, most modern printers will automatically fit the A4 size into letter size. However, it might be a good idea to scan your A4 transcript and shrink it before uploading, as suggested above. 

I would say that the real reason for this requirement is because some schools issue transcript on legal size paper (In the US, that is 8.5" by 14"). 

Sorry, I thought I edited the mistake in my post.

A4 is 8.27 in × 11.69 in. Terribly sorry again.

(so scanning in letter size will cut off some of the words)

Thanks for the above suggestions!

I've shrunken my transcript so that it will fit on letter size. :)

8.5x11 will make everyone's life a lot easier--one of my previous jobs involved processing graduate application materials and international applications with non-US paper formats made the whole process a lot more complicated.