Fall 2015 Chemical Engineering PhD

Jguo32

How was the berkeley visit everyone? Someone from my school who got in said they had a pretty exciting weekend planned for you guys. I also just heard from a student at stanford with more details on what the visit will be. Looks cool! I've never seen an ocean before so this will be nice.

Edited by doomination

Hi all,

So I contacted Stanford admissions today inquiring about why I never received a notification. At first, I was told that my portfolio indicated that I applied to the MS program and not the PhD program. I replied with an attached pdf application form proving I had indeed applied to the PhD program.

They then backtracked and "resent" me a rejection letter after I demanded a refund. I never received an email by the February 3rd due date. 

So much for the thoroughness of the application process. I'm sure my application was misplaced. 

By the way: 

3.82 GPA from UC Berkeley and 1 first author publication in Physical Review Letters (top journal)

Edited by anonymous101

Hey anon101, seems that we are in a similar boat! I didn't hear back from Stanford by the Feb 3rd due date, and contacted them on the 6th to inquire about my application status.

They said I should have received an email and I probably have changed my email address, to which I said I hadn't. I was asked to wait till the next day, and two days later, after I sent them another email, they "resent" me the rejection letter. Seems a bit weird they missed me in the recipient list on the 3rd Feb. I guess if we had not inquired, we wouldnt have heard back from them.

Got into MIT, Princeton and Berkeley so I still have plenty of great options to consider. Just didn't expect Stanford to miss sending such an important email that can be potentially life-changing.

Edited by chickendinner

That's terrible. Sounds like Stanford is dropping the ball a little bit.

Another story, although this isn't nearly up to the same caliber as what you guys experienced, they completely butchered my name in two different ways in the same email (and my name isn't that difficult to spell). It's a small thing, but it still surprised me that they came off so unprofessional. You would think a top school like them would double check their records (for your cases in particular).

It sounds to me like some of you have a strong case to make for a refund. For $125, they ought to do a better job. What is even more unfortunate is that some strong candidates may not have been considered at all!

Did anyone happen to visit Northwestern this past weekend? I'm visiting this weekend and just wanted to know what the itinerary was/if there was any special dress code for any of the events?

Hi, anyone waiting to hear from UCSB still?

I am an internaltional and got Austin.

I do not feel like I wanna go austin now. And UCSB is the best alternative now. It seems UCSB has given several offers, but I haven't got a rejection yet. 

I was accepted to UCSB on 1/23, but noticed they had been intermittently doling out acceptances for several weeks prior. I think it's certainly still possible to be accepted, but they only have two visitation weekends, which require RSVPs by 2/6 or 2/26. Given that the first RSVP deadline has already passed, I'm willing to bet that they haven't sent out rejections yet because they are "waitlisting" students until accepted students start to decline their offers, and intend to fill holes accordingly. Unfortunately, this may mean that you won't get to visit on their expense.

I was accepted to UCSB on 1/23, but noticed they had been intermittently doling out acceptances for several weeks prior. I think it's certainly still possible to be accepted, but they only have two visitation weekends, which require RSVPs by 2/6 or 2/26. Given that the first RSVP deadline has already passed, I'm willing to bet that they haven't sent out rejections yet because they are "waitlisting" students until accepted students start to decline their offers, and intend to fill holes accordingly. Unfortunately, this may mean that you won't get to visit on their expense.

Thanks a lot saxpack! It seems the only thing to do is to wait. I have a strong preference on UCSB to Austin for some personal reason.

fingerscorssed 

Edited by er120

Has anyone heard from University of Virginia or Virginia Tech? I saw one or two acceptances on the results page earlier this month.

Yeah I heard back from UVA in January. 

Yeah I heard back from UVA in January.

When is the visitation weekend? I wouldnt consider myself a super genious, but definitely a unique applicant. Maybe there is still a shred of hope...

When is the visitation weekend? I wouldnt consider myself a super genious, but definitely a unique applicant. Maybe there is still a shred of hope...

Visit weekend is March 26-29. Crossing my fingers for you- Good luck!

Hey guys got into Auburn University and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute with full funding and stipend. Anyone else from these colleges? Which one would be a better choice?

I know of one person who got in and is going to the visiting weekend, so I know at least some acceptances have been sent out. Unfortunately I don't have more information to tell you.

I know of one person who got in and is going to the visiting weekend, so I know at least some acceptances have been sent out. Unfortunately I don't have more information to tell you.

Thank you.