Fall 2015 Chemical Engineering PhD

Jguo32

How are everyone's visit weekends going?

I'm almost glad I didn't get into Berkeley or MIT. These weekends are exhausting, and I'm only taking the minimum amount of courses to be full time.

Future applicants, keep this in mind! I wanted to apply to a lot of places so I could tour the country for free, but now I definitely wouldn't do it.

The visiting weekends are certainly more exhausting than you'd expect! I'd definitely keep that in mind when planning on how many to visit. I chose 4 to visit and I don't think any more would have been wise (and 1 is essentially in my backyard, so that doesn't count). 

They're going quite well though :) I didn't care for Berkeley in all honesty but still had a nice weekend!

Hopefully you do! If it's any solace, I just declined my offer, so hopefully they open up some spots as more people do so!

I'm still waiting to hear back from University of Washington and University of Minnesota... and it's March.. not sure how to feel about my chances with those two :/ Should I give up hope and only focus on deciding between the schools I've already been admitted to?

Not sure but I'd like to hear back from Washington as well.... I've mostly given up on everyone that I haven't heard from and I'm pretty sure that I'll end up somewhere that I've already been admitted. 

I'm still waiting to hear back from University of Washington and University of Minnesota... and it's March.. not sure how to feel about my chances with those two :/ Should I give up hope and only focus on deciding between the schools I've already been admitted to?

Guys, please, I need advice, what do you think of the University of Wyoming? Is it a good place to study Petroleum Engineering? 

I looked at ranking: it is closer to the bottom, rather to the top  :(

Does anybody know if Penn State and Rutgers have finished their selection process? 

For both of them my status page shows "No decision". Should I consider that a rejection?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I switched fields, so best of luck on your ChemE travels! I was torn between Princeton ChemE and MIT's Computational Science & Engineering/Nuclear program. Ended up picking the latter for a variety of factors. Should be interesting! Best of luck to everyone else :) 

Cool, good luck at MIT, and good luck with the change in direction. At the ph.d. level, the distinctions are blurred so I would not be too worried about going into a new field but I wish you luck nonetheless!

Cool, good luck at MIT, and good luck with the change in direction. At the ph.d. level, the distinctions are blurred so I would not be too worried about going into a new field but I wish you luck nonetheless!

Thank you! That was my philosophy as well. I'm going to be doing reactor engineering and fluids. It just so happens that it's for nuclear reactor applications instead of chemical reactors. And of course congrats on Berkeley! Everyone seemed to be really happy there, so I'm sure you'll have a great time! Best of luck. 

just officially accepted Stanford! I've never lived on a coast before, so this should be interesting.

Congratulations! It's been quite a journey!