Whatcha reading?

ashiepoo72

Currently bouncing between Part I of David Levering Lewis's Du Bois biography, Anne Sebba's Les Parisiennes, Zadie Smith's Swing Time, an anthology of Marita Bonner's writing, and Samantha Pinto's Difficult Diaspora.

• 4 weeks later...

Geez, I haven't posted in here for a while. I've read the following since commenting previously:

• Silent Spring
  • The Master Switch
  • White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America
  • Gut: The Inside Story of Our Body's Most Underrated Organ
  • The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation
  • Janet Browne's Darwin's Origin of Species: A Biography
  • The Double Helix: A Personal Account of the Discovery of the Structure of DNA
  • The Men Who Stare at Goats
  • The Glass Universe: How the Ladies of the Harvard Observatory Took the Measure of the Stars

Whew! Had to consult the reading log to remember them all. I'm starting a bunch of titles now. I'm in reading groups for Paying the Price, Invention of Nature, The Circle, Hillbilly Elegy, and Capital in the Twenty-First Century. Ignoring course reading, I'm next diving into Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind, The Red Queen: Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature, and Imbeciles: The Supreme Court, American Eugenics, and the Sterilization of Carrie Buck

I've only been in graduate school for one semester, but I've quickly learned that graduate school very much elucidates one strength and weaknesses. My super power is the speed of which I can read. My weaknesses are my lack of speed with writing; I'm a tremendously slow writer.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I had read Anne Moody's Coming of Age in Mississippi a couple of years ago for a class. In it she writes about the murder of Emmett Till and the fear that blacks experienced as a result of that murder. There is a new book about his murder out this year titled The Blood of Emmett Till. I already have it. Just read Me Before You and its sequel After You. So a little of a variety of things where I'm at. It's summer and probably the last one I will get to slough off.

On 6/8/2017 at 0:17 PM, Neist said:

Anyone reading anything interesting or fun this summer?

You might like Killer Germs by Barry and David Zimmerman. It's one of my favorite infectious disease books. Some of the other items on your reading list makes me think you might enjoy it! 

Just finished up Blackout and All Clear by Connie Willis, which are pretty good reads. Time travelling, world war ii; a good look at the background and the people that weren't front and center during the war. 

14 hours ago, a.n.d said:

Just finished up Blackout and All Clear by Connie Willis, which are pretty good reads. Time travelling, world war ii; a good look at the background and the people that weren't front and center during the war. 

Connie Willis also wrote Doomsday Book (1992), which features her time-traveling historians during the Black Death — another good read if you like science fiction in your history.

On 6/10/2017 at 2:22 PM, DGrayson said:

You might like Killer Germs by Barry and David Zimmerman. It's one of my favorite infectious disease books. Some of the other items on your reading list makes me think you might enjoy it! 

Sounds really interesting! I'll definitely put it on the list. 

I just finished Dancing Bees: Karl Von Frisch And The Discovery Of The Honeybee Language by Tania Munz. I attended a talk by her earlier this spring, and the book was on my list. Just got around to reading it. :) 

On 6/14/2017 at 1:04 PM, gsc said:

Connie Willis also wrote Doomsday Book (1992), which features her time-traveling historians during the Black Death — another good read if you like science fiction in your history.

Ooh, thank you for the rec! I'll definitely add that to my list. 

• 6 months later...

Currently reading Making Modern ScienceA People's History of Science, and Nature's Economy

That's a lot of book to review over the course of a few days. Think my brain is beginning to fry.

I am currently reading a bunch of very interesting books on the environment and science: Bill Cronon's Nature's Metropolis, Pablo Gomez's The Experiential Caribbean, and the more general Science and Civil Society, by Lynn Nyhart. Truly great books by very interesting scholars!

Edited by Yellow Mellow

The Struggle for the Third World: Soviet Debates and American Options by Jerry Hough

Stalin's Think Tank: The Varga Institute and the Making of the Stalinist Idea of World Economy and Politics, 1927-1953 by Kyung Deok Roh

5 hours ago, Yellow Mellow said:

I am currently reading a bunch of very interesting books on the environment and science: Bill Cronon's Nature's Metropolis, Pablo Gomez's The Experiential Caribbean, and the more general Science and Civil Society, by Lynn Nyhart. Truly great books by very interesting scholars!

How do you like Nature's Metropolis? It's to be discussed for next week's class. I thought it look pretty interesting!

1 hour ago, Neist said:

How do you like Nature's Metropolis? It's to be discussed for next week's class. I thought it look pretty interesting!

Nature's Metropolis is one of my favorite books. 

I'm currently reading In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson. Well, I'm actually listening to it. I like to listen to a good audiobook while keeping up with my reading lists.