getting kicked out of a program

MosDefMosDef

A student got kicked out of my PhD program. As far as I know, there was not one specific problem, and the professors indicated it to be an issue of "overall performance" (even though this student was never on probation or failed a class).

Has anyone had experience with this? Any stories to share?

(I am just trying to make sense of the whole situation as best as I can. Personally I'm extremely sad because this student was a great person, and not a slacker by any means)

Remember that you may not be getting the entire story for any number of reasons. The story you have heard from the student is likely to be told based on what the student was comfortable sharing with lab mates due to any combination of reasons or feelings such as anger, shame, embarrassment, shock, etc...

Witnessing someone getting kicked out who doesn't work hard is one thing, but when it happens to someone who works hard it seems unfair and unjustified. It's especially difficult when it's a nice person we consider to be a friend. I think it's really a shame for this person. Hopefully the student will take away something valuable from the experience, if not now then at a future point in time that will enhance their personal or professional growth. Who knows what other good opportunities are in store for this person now what they have been put on a different life path. Perhaps a new job, a different program, increased personal strength, resiliency, or determination to get back in the field... Only time will tell.

Edited by jenste

There are many possible reasons for expulsion, not all of them are related to academics performance. What the professors told you might just be a way to keep the matter confidential (since it is not your business to begin with). 

It is unfortunate, but life goes on and the best you can do is to respect your friend's privacy, and maybe to offer help with moving etc.

Edited by Cookie

"Overall performance problems" could be code for actual struggles in classes or in research, or it could be code for personal issues that caused the student to withdraw from the degree even though they were doing ok academically. Mostly it's code for "we can't really share the details with you."

In some cases something like this might mean that the faculty don't feel like the student is strong enough to get a job after graduation, even if they could graduate. Occasionally you see people who graduated with a weak research profile who spend a few years looking for a job and bouncing from place to place before giving up, and you kind of wish someone would have told them the harsh truth much earlier and saved them much of the ordeal. I would hope that this is not something that a program would do without giving it a lot of thought, and honestly I'm not even sure I am convinced that you can really know who will succeed early on in the program, but I do sometimes wonder if it's possible if you're experienced enough. (This is to say, I've never had anyone admit to me that they left, or know someone who left, a program for this reason, but I wouldn't be surprised if this happens sometimes.)

Personally, I think it is kinder to ask a student to leave rather than let them struggle through qualifying exams and the dissertation if you 1) don't believe he has the skill and/or motivation to get through that stuff and 2) doesn't have enough of it to do well enough to secure a job, or, you feel uncomfortable endorsing him for a job.

Probation or failing a class is such a low bar.  PhDs are about research; perhaps the student didn't show enough promise in that area.  Or it could be a lot of other things - personal problems standing in the way, difficulties that need to be worked out outside of a doctoral program.