Is it possible to work a part-time job during your full-time MSW and stay sane?

a66277c6

I currently have a full-time job that pays well and has fairly flexible standards. For example, I can work from anywhere with wifi, I can work most any hours of the day, and I can work part-time, as long as I give some notice. 

So while I don't want to overload myself at the outset of an MSW, I also would hate to lose a good, flexible income source to help support me and my family (wife and a baby) during the program. I'm trying to be protective of my own peace and balanced lifestyle, and would quit the job if I knew I couldn't keep the stress down during the program. 

So, I'm just looking for some general thoughts about working during your program. 

Answers to any of the following questions would be helpful: 

- Did you work during your MSW? Why or why not?
- How many hours did you work? 
- What was your stress level?

- What's the most hours a person could reasonably work during the MSW?

- How much free time did you have?
- In hindsight, would you have done things differently?
Edited by brycepj

Most, if not all of the students in my concentration had a part-time gig in addition to our fieldwork (and some of us got paid at our field placements, too), though it was almost always tied to the university in some way. There were at least a smattering of folks in other concentrations who had employment outside the university, with agencies they had been working with prior to matriculation.

I can't speak specifically on any one person's experience, but it seemed as though it was really difficult for students with families. It seemed incredibly stressful, and usually something had to give so they could find some sort of balance. Personally, both my field placements paid me an hourly rate and I also had a part-time research job that probably averaged around 10hrs/wk, though there were some points that were busier than others. I did it because I was interested in research, and the right opportunity came along at the right time. In general, it was about setting priorities and working within the culture of the program. Berkeley was definitely little more laissez-faire than it seems other programs are when it came to coursework; this made it easy to not stress out about doing all of the reading and putting more focus and energy into my fieldwork and research while still doing well academically. 

Only you know what your boundaries are, and you will have to figure out what your limits will be so that you can work comfortably while still dedicating time to your coursework, your family, and your sanity. The first semester always seems to be the roughest, so if possible I would think about taking a lighter load at your job to help ease the transition, and then increase your hours as you see fit. 

The program I am applying for is part time and I intend to continue working full time while attending graduate school. (Until my second and third year, when I will need to do field placements two days per week.) I will be interested in reading the responses to your post, brycepj. For me, the thing I am most nervous about is that I currently do 90% of the cooking in our home, I plan the grocery lists, I do more of the cleaning, etc. I have told my husband he will need to take on a larger share if I'm accepted, and he is completely supportive, but I think the shift of dynamics will be stressful, at least at first. When I went to an informational meeting for my MSW program, the advisors stressed the importance of time management, so I will be keeping that close to my heart if accepted. 

Advocate for a paid placement. Moreover, ask if your school can give you work-study to make it easier on the employer. Worked for me :) I had a preschooler and a spouse during the program.

Edited by justastudent

• 1 month later...

I worked 15-30 hrs per week when during my MSW (including when I did my internship).  It's definitely possible and for me it forced me to manage my time better.  The only time I struggled was during finals.  I ended up I had to take some time off so I could catch up.  If your job is flexible it could be fine but if not I would consider preemptively taking some time off when you have finals coming up.  

If you do not overload your credits and strategically plan your assignments and internship to coordinate, it can work out.  I worked 25-35 hours per week, along with full course load and internship.  It was rough sometimes, but manageable.  Make sure to pick one topic you are interested in, an area of expertise, to align all your course work around.  You don't want to reinvent every paper and presentation.