PhD in Physics - School short listing

TimeDilates

Hi all,

I am looking to join a PhD program in either Spring '16 or Fall '16. I am preparing for General GRE right now. I have given a GRE in 2007 (1440/1600 - Math 800, Eng 540). Planning to give Physics GRE in April '15. I am looking to short list universities which is on par with my profile (and some ambitious). Any help is humbly appreciated!

My profile:

Work Experience:

- Research Engineer (Sep 2010 - Present) - Medical Simulation company: Create virtual reality based games for surgeons and doctors to play and improve surgical skills. Implemented collision detection, physics based deformable simulations, worked with a variety of input devices (3dconnexion, phantom omni, falcon, hmd, IR camera, depth sensing cameras), haptic based simulations. Used 3D modelling and rendering softwares. Extensively used C++. And used a little of python.

- Programmer Analyst (Sep 2006 - Aug 2008) - IT. Java based Investment banking application. Extensively used Java, J2EE, Oracle.

Education:

M.S. (Mechanical Engg) - University at Buffalo, 2010 (3.02/4 GPA)

B.E. (Manufacturing Engg) - College of Engineeing, Guindy, 2006 (7.6/10 GPA)

Research:

Mathematical Knot tying simulation and knot deduction for a Robotic Surgical Simulator (

)

Software:

MS Visual Basic, gcc, Windows, Linux, C++, SQL, MATLAB, OpenGL, CAD applications (ProE, Blender etc), OpenGL.

I would like to study about Astro Physics. What would be good schools to apply? What would be good scores in GRE and PGRE? Thinking MIT, Caltech is too far-fetched? What are some good research based institutes?

Also, if any PhD Physics people are around Boston (where I work), I would love to meet in person and pick your brain!

Thanks in advance for any help!!

I think a problem you may run into unfortunately is that you do not have a degree in physics. You need to have taken advanced undergraduate courses in classical mechanics, electric and magnetic fields, statistical mechanics, and quantum mechanics. Your PGRE i think will need to be high because of that. 

Astrophysics is a broad field, with many schools having strong programs. Look at the places you want to live, chances are they will have a strong astrophysics program, as almost every major city in the US has one. 

That is a good point Latte Macchiato! I will see if I can do some certification courses over the next year for the courses you have listed. I have seen a lot of universities offer online courses for those.

GeoDUDE! is right that most of your troubles will come from the fact that you have two engineering degrees and nothing in physical sciences (physics/math/astronomy/chemistry), which are what most Astro grad students have backgrounds in. 

I think you can mitigate this by showing that you have the right background to do well in physics and astronomy grad courses, but the top schools will have the choice between you or people with a full degree in astronomy and you will still be disadvantaged there.

I would also recommend you take advantage of your skills. Out of your list, it seems like your skills in MATLAB, C++ and SQL (and experience in Linux) would be the most valuable to an astronomy program. You would be a good fit for astronomical instrumentation type programs or to work on software development for astrophysical data analysis research. What type of work in astrophysics are you interested in?