Going Crazy...

yin-bodhi

I just thought I would start a thread about going crazy over this whole process. The other day, my phone rang and I didn't recognize the phone number. Of course, I got all excited. It was a wrong number from a steel company in Atlanta. Now, before this phone call I was doing fine with this whole thing... but just the thought someone could call me soon has me going crazy! I can't count how many times I refresh my e-mail box or check my phone to make sure I didn't miss a call!

How is everyone else holding up? Who are you waiting for?

I'm waiting for:

Northeastern- M.A. Sociology

Boston University- M.A. International Relations/International Communication

New School for Social Research- M.A. Sociology

George Mason University- Ph.D. Conflict Analysis and Resolution

University of Missouri-St. Louis- M.A. Sociology

Long Island University- M.S. Social Sciences

i'm waiting for northeastern MA sociology too, as well as BU (MA), BC (phd), Brandeis (phd) & UMass Amherst (phd). its driving me crazy! and for the ones w. the feb 1st deadline, its just going to take forever (northeastern & umass) ughh.

FYI: New School usually sends out acceptance letters on or around March 15th. So look in your mailbox around then (although I'm sure we're all already stalking our mail carriers).

No one has posted any acceptance/rejections from any of the schools I applied to (in my field), so I know I shouldn't be worried---but I see all these other people posting acceptances from other schools and I can't help but wonder when I'll get something! At least I'm not alone in abusing my refresh button.

Guest sallyann

I'm waiting for:

Brown Modern Culture and Media PhD

Chicago Cinema Studies PhD

NYU Cinema Studies PhD

If anyone has a clue about timelines...I would be very appreciative!

I'm freaking out, as well. I just want to know already! :?

I used to check my mail a couple times a month. So I've got a bill overdue? Who cares? Now that I got an email from a school saying a letter regarding financial support will be coming in the next few weeks, I've been checking my mail everyday.... more than once a day.

a letter regarding financial support will be coming in the next few weeks

generally details abt financial support is given after givin out th admit right??

generally details abt financial support is given after givin out th admit right??

They'll hint at what you can expect (at least in my field) with the admit letter (e.g. full support, like tuition waiver plus full stipend), but the exact numbers are sent later.

Guest shellybe

Hi. I'm waiting to hear from WashU and Indiana University. I saw that one person was accepted to IUB a couple of weeks ago so I'm freaking out. This is terrible. :(

Hello, I am waiting to hear from U Chicago and UC-Berkeley. Like Shellybe, I've heard that someone had got acceptance via email and I haven't...so I am really anxious. :shock:

However, since then, I think that being notified will be better than waiting, no matter whether it is good news or not. :roll: (But I am reluctant to take any action so far...)

Well, if you know the decision has been made and admissions have been sent, what will you do to get your application status? Keep waiting or contact with the Department to find out the result directly? Does anyone call to find out his/her status?

If by some crazy chance the person who posted they were rejected to WUSTL philosophy reads this, *please* reply, it is one of my top choices and I'm going crazy waiting (haven't heard anything yet.)

I'm applying for ph.d. in anthropology (subfield: socio-cultural anthropology)... :oops:

i'm waiting for news from uchicago for socio-cultural also... and saw that someone has been admitted. it would be nice to know, but we would probably be forwarded to that MA program before hearing anything from them, unfortunately...

If two schools have distinct M.A. and Ph.D. programs and you applied for the Ph.D. straight from a B.A. will they send you application to the M.A. program if you were not accepted for the Ph.D.?

it depends on the school and the program, but in English my experience the first time I applied was yes, however MA programs are generally less well funded, if at all.

Alright, I get all bundled up to walk the dog and check my mail (mainly just check the mail). So we get outside and I am putting some muscle into steering the hound away from her usual play spot and towards the mail boxes. After all that hefting on my part what do I find????????? A burning, stinging, and yes, empty mailbox. At this point I am so defeated that the pup can drag me any which way she chooses (through mud, on-coming traffic, the neighbors yard that has no-trespassing signs which can be seen from the space shuttle... you get the picture). Well, just as this canine was about to lead me into a drainage ditch of questionable origin, I looked up and what did I spy?? The mailman in all his mail carrying glory (I am not sure, but I believe there was an aura of pure white light surrounding his mail truck). At this point in the epic, our hero is still about a block away (the aura of white light must have made him easier to see). Well, I came to life instantly and stopped my skid into that questionable drainage ditch and drug the fur ball back up the little hill. At this point, I am like a jungle cat. No move that mailman made went undetected. Slowly but surely that magical mail truck chugged its way down the block (only stopping to give other people their mail. Really!!! What is all that about anyways?? None of those folks could be expecting anything nearly as important, but I digress). Where was I, oh yes! Our hero made it to the end of the block and turned the corner, from there it was smooth sailing to my bank of mailboxes. This is when my jungle cat instincts really kick in. My stealthy side-kick and I slowly and surreptitiously make our way towards the mailboxes. About twenty feet away my side-kick and I decided to stop and watch (well, in all honesty, my trusty side-kick saw a pile of snow that desperately needed sniffing. BUT, I watched the mailboxes.) So we watched and waited with the mantra "Please let that big manila envelope be for box 11" playing over and over in my head. From out of nowhere, music swelled to a fevered pitch and then our hero got back in his truck and left my life with virtually no fanfare (ok, no fanfare). I rush to the mailbox with my heart beating in my ears and my dog dragging behind me (I guess she thought a more subtle approach was needed). I approach the mailbox. Was it empty now??????? NO, it was not empty now!!!!!!!!! So, with all the trepidation of one reaching into a lions mouth I get my mail. At this point, the pup was on board with me and was standing eagerly at my feet. I could see the questions in her eyes. "Are we moving to Florida, Boston, Newark, or St Louis?????" I look at her then to the heavens and then I looked down at the mail clutched in my clammy hand. And what was it you ask, well I can't really begin to describe what it was. (don't get jealous when I tell you) Apparently, the person who lived here before me had a penchant for bow ties. So, instead of holding my future in my hands, I held a catalog to Beau Ties LTD. of Vermont (with a three dollar off coupon). With a heavy sigh I trudged back to my apartment in search of a dark room and dreading tomorrows epic already. :D Take care everybody.

It is so terrible to wait, as everyone here knows. Does anyone have any info on:

University of Virginia

Washington University in St. Louis

I rashly only applied to 4 schools, and I've already gotten 1 rejection from U of MN and 1 interview from Alabama.

Good luck everyone!