Chances for reapplying

chemtocs

Hi, I am an international student from China. I am currently in a chemistry department a US university. I want to reapply several other schools because I can't join the groups interests me here(no funding).

Here are some basic information:

GRE: v 151, q 168, aw 3.0

TOEFL: 109 (r 27, l 29, s 24, w 29)

undergrad GPA: 3.6/4.0

I have two year's research experience of polymer materials. 2 publications in that field(one is 2nd author, the other is 3rd author). The IFs are both around 3.

I notice that most chemistry department have very little faculties doing polymer. I have a bachelor degree of polymer materials and engineering. So I don't know my chances to apply other department like polymer/macro molecule.

Since I am a first year student, I don't know whether I will be considered equally as other new applicants?

Right now, I have some ideas but I think I should apply several more

department of chemistry, University of Washington,

department of chemistry, Univeristy of Maryland,

department of polymer science and engineering, UMass,

department of chemistry, Stony Brook,

Thanks in advance!

Edited by chemtocs

Your application is quite good (except for the low Verbal and writing GRE scores - red flags of English proficiency?).

You might be able to find polymer researchers in Chemical Engineering departments as well. 

As a first year student, you should write your SOP very well, and explain why the new institution will be a better fit for you. I suggest contacting PIs before applying. I have heard that if you get a rec letter from your current grad school that attests your graduate performance, that would be helpful. 

Good luck!

Your application is quite good (except for the low Verbal and writing GRE scores - red flags of English proficiency?).

You might be able to find polymer researchers in Chemical Engineering departments as well. 

As a first year student, you should write your SOP very well, and explain why the new institution will be a better fit for you. I suggest contacting PIs before applying. I have heard that if you get a rec letter from your current grad school that attests your graduate performance, that would be helpful. 

Good luck!

Yes, my GRE scores are not good. I don't know how to prove my English proficiency? I have relatively high TOEFL score. And I am teaching gen chem course here.

It seems hard to get reference letter from here because I don't have a research advisor. But the department could provide some documents to prove i dont have any academic problems.

thank you!

Will that way too higher for me? I just a little bit regret for that I refused the acceptance of the other school, afraid of getting no offer...

Thanks!

How about Dept of Materials Science and Engineering at Georgia Tech? They have quite a few polymer researchers.

Yes, my GRE scores are not good. I don't know how to prove my English proficiency? 

A lot of it is cultural. I can say that what I see here from your writing is that it looks like you understand English and can communicate in it, but your grammar is weak and that can stunt comprehension in both directions. Something you can do is read more material in English, and I don't mean scientific journals, I mean novels, as that can expose you to more of the language as well as the cultural cues that are a part of the GRE. You can also spend time at English-dominant websites communicating with native English speakers.

Unfortunately, both of these do take a lot of time.

A lot of it is cultural. I can say that what I see here from your writing is that it looks like you understand English and can communicate in it, but your grammar is weak and that can stunt comprehension in both directions. Something you can do is read more material in English, and I don't mean scientific journals, I mean novels, as that can expose you to more of the language as well as the cultural cues that are a part of the GRE. You can also spend time at English-dominant websites communicating with native English speakers.

Unfortunately, both of these do take a lot of time.

thanks!