Hertie School of Governance MPP

rahul188

Hi All,

A question for those applying for MPP programmes. I've just been admitted to the Hertie School MPP and wanted to know what others on this forum know about it. Don't have scholarship information yet, but would like to have some inputs on the school itself before that comes in. General inputs on reputation, quality of teaching, recruitment stats and locations, and if possible, some comparison would help (especially from past students who've been part of the exchange programme the school offers). 

Thanks!

Hey Rahul,

I have also just applied to Hertie. From people that I know who go there they seem to enjoy the teaching a lot and the student body is supposed to be great. Reputation is very good and most importantly getting better every year, and for a school that is only 10 years old they have done really well, especially in pairing with LSE, Columbia and Sciences Po for dual degrees and exchange programmes. It also seems to provide great career prospects, especially as you can also do a professional year between your first and second year. If I don't hear back from them soon I will also apply to the LSE and UCL and Edinburgh for the MPP course, but I think Hertie would be my first choice if I get in. 

By the way, when did you send you application and what kind of education/work experience background do you have (just asking to compare my chances of getting accepted.)

Thanks Rob1992!

In addition to the inputs you've given me here, have you spoken to anyone who's been part of the exchange/dual programme and can give us a comparative perspective on the quality of education at Hertie? 

I am applying from India and had to get my application in really early to make the DAAD deadine of July 15th! So don't compare the dates of application/acceptance with mine :). On the CV side, I'm trained as an engineer and have worked for about 5 years - extensively on the field (implementing renewable energy projects) and also on policy for the last 2 years. Have about 8 publications including a few book chapters. If you need more info, let me know! And good luck with your application!

Hey Rahul,

I don't personally know anyone who has completed the dual degree, but if you go to the Student Room thread (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1203622&highlight=hertie&x=-810&y=-13633) you can read more about that. Apparently some students from Columbia and the LSE thought Hertie was almost better in terms of teaching and the rest could not tell the difference. I know three people who go to Hertie and they seem all extremely satisfied, and one of them even turned down an offer from the LSE. 

I hope that helps :)

BTW Double Degree program works as a direct exchange of students i.e. 3 people from Hertie went to SIPA because 3 people from SIPA went to Hertie

Edited by alloy

Hi Daniel, 

Congratulations! I heard back from DAAD last week and was placed on the waitlist so not sure if that'll work out, there are very few slots. Hoping Hertie gets back with something substantial in terms of funding. Good luck for DAAD!

Thanks, Rahul!

I guess it's not a bit deal to be accepted to the school, the challenged is to get funded substantially enough to be able to attend haha. The deadline for the results is supposed to be mid of December but I'm getting too anxious :( I wish you good luck too!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I also just got accepted to Hertie MPP for Fall 2015. Hoping for a decent tuition waiver and also have yet to hear back from DAAD funding. AFAIK, decisions on the latter are communicated only in April.

Hertie wants a confirmation and 500€ deposit by Feb. 15. Anybody have experience with pushing back this deadline until I can sort out funding?

Cheers and good luck with you applications! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I too have an offer from the Hertie School for the MPP for 2015-17. I have been asked to submit a deposit of 500 Euros by February 15 but am kind of undecided.

Does anyone know anything about the kind of jobs one may be able to acquire after completion of the MPP programme? Do international students usually get jobs in Germany itself and are allowed to stay back? I belong to India and am interested in working with international organisations, development agencies, think thanks and maybe even non-profit bodies.

Also, has anyone been able to acquire some kind of scholarship/funding until now? I see a couple of funding related comments on the forum.

I also have an offer from SOAS in London for a different programme - a Masters from the Development Studies department. How, in your opinion, would these two programmes compare?

Thanks a lot and best of luck to all!

I've just been accepted as well, but the email said nothing about funding decisions. Good to know that I'm not alone in that! Hopefully xfusedgrad is right about funding decisions being communicated in mid-February. In any case, I'm still waiting on a decision from the DAAD, but I'm not really expecting to hear from them until mid-March at the very earliest.

Good luck everybody! :)

To everyone who already got accepted to Hertie and received funding information: How long after the acceptance email were you informed about tuition waivers?

I got notified about admission on January 29th, still waiting for funding. 20 days is probably not a very long wait, but I still am kind of anxious to hear from them.

Hi all, I submitted my application on February 15th and am anxious to hear back. How long is the average wait to hear back?

I heard back after about two weeks, but it seems to go in batches (which makes sense; they probably have a committee that meets regularly to make these decisions). Sounds like no one has heard about funding yet, though.