Chemical engineering PhD programs and entrepreneurship

cheguy

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew of chemical engineering PhD programs or faculty with a business and entrepreneurial focus. I'd like to develop technology with a strong eye towards commercialization/market application, rather than publication alone. My ultimate career goal is to get involved in an early-stage startup and eventually start my own company. It would be great to find a program/professor that has this kind of entrepreneurial experience and can teach me about product development and just how the game is played. I'm not sure I would be able to get into the very top schools like Stanford and MIT, but I should be competitive for most others. I would be interested in places both within the US and internationally (e.g. Canada, Australia, Europe).

I know you said you aren't sure about MIT but I know they have a PhD CEP program. They also have some LGO program that comes with a masters degree in engineering (field of your choice) and I believe an MBA.

You should definitely look at MIT.  If you don't think you can get into their PhD-Chemical Engineering Practice program initially, applying to LGO might be a smart move.  Dartmouth also has a program that might be a good fit.  It's called the PhD in Innovation, and it's out of the engineering school.  Students concentrate in a field (e.g. ChemE), complete an internship, do research, take a few applied math/innovation/commercialization classes as well as electives at Tuck (business school).

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the tips. LGO and Dartmouth both sound really good. Actually the Dartmouth program sounds like exactly what I would be looking for – it looks like in the last three years basically they say go to town and start your company (sounds like fun to me). They should have more programs like that I reckon!