LBJ school 2015 Applications & Admits

gradphil

Greetings!

I have turned in the application for MGPS at LBJ school and wondering the status shows "In Review" and Attention notice displays "your file has been forwarded to the Graduate Committee for review" while my LORs are pending and deadline is almost a month away. While I am a re-applicant (admitted without funding in 2014 cycle) and my previous application is on file, it does not mean the Grad school can pick and chose the materials from the previous file to make the new one complete and forward to the Grad Committee without waiting for the improved GRE scores and fresh LORs to arrive. 

Any thoughts?

Can you explain what you're asking? I don't really understand the question.

Since my application status shows "your file has been forwarded to graduate committee for review" even though my LORs for 2015 cycle are still outstanding, I am worried the grad school has taken LORs from the old file (2014 cycle) to complete the application and my suspicion is bolstered when they are listed under the new application tab. How come a fresh application is merged with the old one and sent for review without waiting for the new LOR's and other tests to arrive especially when the deadline has not elapsed?

I was told that LBJ does have rolling admissions. I submitted my app back in October, and my last letter of recommendation was sent at the end of November. My status currently says the same, that my application is in review.

I don't think they would use any part of your application from last year, but it never hurts to ask for clarification. It could be like how WWS had an application deadline of Dec. 1 but accepts letters of recommendation 2 weeks after that deadline.

Unless LBJ has rolling admission, it's unlikely they'll be reviewing any files until the deadline has passed. If you're really worried about it you can email the admissions committee and ask them. 

I was told that LBJ does have rolling admissions. I submitted my app back in October, and my last letter of recommendation was sent at the end of November. My status currently says the same, that my application is in review.

I don't think they would use any part of your application from last year, but it never hurts to ask for clarification. It could be like how WWS had an application deadline of Dec. 1 but accepts letters of recommendation 2 weeks after that deadline.

I have received replies form both the grad school and the LBJ school. While former clarifying that it has forwarded the file to the review committee and it's not its job to hold off the file when it's complete (does not make sense to me in the absence of LORs) and the latter explaining the admission committee will not begin reviewing files until the lapse of deadline, Jan 5th. What puzzles nonetheless is the logic of graduate school to forward application to the relevant department without waiting the necessary items to arrive. While it's quite understandable the past and present applications can be merged together (as does WWS) but replacing the key components from past in favor of the present does not stands up to scrutiny.

Well then I'm a bit confused as well, haha, since it was an admissions rep who told me it was rolling admissions. But perhaps I missed something or misunderstood what she was saying.

It's definitely not rolling admissions.

I've submitted everything. I am just waiting for one more LOR and I need to upload my new test scores.

I didn't know that I could submit my application, therefore initiating the Recommendation Request process, without attaching my SOP. I wish I knew that before hand! Then I could have taken care of the references in September instead of December! I wish they were more clear about that.

UT is my top choice (I live in Austin and wish to remain here) what about y'all?

I know a few people who have gone to LBJ and one of my friends is currently enrolled.

I didn't know that I could submit my application, therefore initiating the Recommendation Request process, without attaching my SOP. I wish I knew that before hand! Then I could have taken care of the references in September instead of December! I wish they were more clear about that.

UT is my top choice (I live in Austin and wish to remain here) what about y'all?

I know a few people who have gone to LBJ and one of my friends is currently enrolled.

You are right. They have not indicated step-by-step process on their website, but I guess last year they had. Nonetheless, it's fairly conspicuous once you sign up at the ApplyTexas and read the instructions at the end of application. UT Austin is my second choice after WWS which I am not too optimistic about though.

It's definitely not rolling admissions.

I've submitted everything. I am just waiting for one more LOR and I need to upload my new test scores.

I initially found LBJ's application process unclear too. Definitely not as straightforward as the other schools I'm applying to.

With that said, I'm certainly interested in the school. I'm applying to mostly MPP programs, but the unique MPAff combined with the school's location (I was born in Texas but haven't been back in many years, plus Austin sounds great) makes it really intriguing for me.

Yes, I know in past years it was a rolling admissions process (you can look through past threads here), but perhaps the admissions rep I met with was wrong. She also retired a few months ago.

LBJ is my top choice as well since I grew up in Austin and still live here. My immediate family is here as well as all my networks. It would be a tough decision if I get in anywhere else.

Edited by mueva

• 1 month later...

The website recently updated to say that the application was "forwarded to the graduate committee for review."  Does this mean that mine in particular is in the current batch, or that they've started reviewing everybody, and it might be a couple months before I hear? Anybody know?

The website recently updated to say that the application was "forwarded to the graduate committee for review."  Does this mean that mine in particular is in the current batch, or that they've started reviewing everybody, and it might be a couple months before I hear? Anybody know?

Mine is showing the same status. I believe it means they've started reviewing everybody, and everybody can expect to hear around the same time.

Current LBJ student here, not a rolling admissions process. Sadly LBJ admissions are loaded in the UT admissions website system which is the most confusing thing in the world. I had huge issues when I submitted mine because the system even rejected one of my essays due to having a hyphenated name. Do not worry it was all fine, if it says it was forwarded LBJ has it. Good luck to you all. LBJ is an amazing place and strangely very unbureaucratic even if the application system does not seem that way!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a TX native looking to GET OUT OF TX
That said, LBJ is a great program and I had to apply, though it is the only TX school I'm looking at (I'm also a native Austinite & my family lives there.) Hope to hear something soon as I already rec'd admission to UW-Madison & got pretty promising feedback from UC-Riverside.

Now that I've started hearing back from other schools, I am losing my mind checking My Status  :wacko: Do any current LBJ students remember when they heard back last year/previous years?

i feel the same way! i poked around previous threads & it looks like lbj will be notifying in the next two weeks. the recent admission boards show many ppl had heard about phd in gov't & polisci but nothing in public policy or masters .

The best source of information is the LBJ school's website itself which says the admission decisions will be out "around the first week of March". And my guess is 5-6 March, most probably 6th of March as majority of schools do. 

Is anyone else waiting (impatiently) for this one? I was pretty sure that when I applied, the deadline date on the website was "around the first week of March", but I checked back a few days ago and it now says "around mid-March".

I have heard from every other school I applied to except LBJ.
For me, this is the affordable choice and a great program. I've been accepted to every program thus far and hope this will continue my winning streak. Fingers crossed I get good news soon!

I have heard from every other school I applied to except LBJ.

For me, this is the affordable choice and a great program. I've been accepted to every program thus far and hope this will continue my winning streak. Fingers crossed I get good news soon!

Same!

Although I've already decided where I want to go.. I'm just a little curious to see if I get in. If I don't get it, I'll just take it as a sign from the universe that I should not be in the same city as my ex who is currently at UT for grad school haha

Edited by Glitter1nTheAir